nfl 2019-2020

Gromnir

Grats Chiefs. That was a good game. Chiefs made the plays down the stretch, Niners didn't. 

I'm happy for Andy Reid. It's weird, he was the enemy FOREVER as the Iggles coach, but once he went to KC, I no longer had any reason to hate him and I always thought he was a really good coach, clock management issues notwithstanding.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Good stuff.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

At risk of this being moved to the Politics topic:

NY9hmZL.jpg

This bit of trivia seems to me like kind of a thing everyone learned as schoolchildren from the "Fun Facts" that were on the paper for Fruit by the Foot snacks.

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

5 hours ago, Agiel said:

At risk of this being moved to the Politics topic:

NY9hmZL.jpg

This bit of trivia seems to me like kind of a thing everyone learned as schoolchildren from the "Fun Facts" that were on the paper for Fruit by the Foot snacks.

In fairness, that's a mistake TONS of people make. It's almost as common as the capital of New York State mistake. On the other hand, if you're the president, you should probably know these things.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

30 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

It's almost as common as the capital of New York State mistake. 

Albany!

Me and the wife had a competition a few years ago where we learnt all the 50 US states and their capitals, doing quiz competitions against eachother. Still remember most of them.

But to keep it NFL related. How come Eric Bieniemy isn't a head coach yet? I think he has the merits for it.

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

36 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

In fairness, that's a mistake TONS of people make. It's almost as common as the capital of New York State mistake. On the other hand, if you're the president, you should probably know these things.

ignoring the obvious solution.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Always seems the most famous city in a state is not the capital - e.g. Illinois, Nevada, California, Washington, Florida.   Maybe just the way it works in Canada tints things for me - we have so few cities of significance to begin with

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

In all fairness everything in Kansas City west of I-35 IS in Kansas. About a third of the city. So, as blunders go this was hardly the biggest. Arrowhead Stadium is on the east side so it is definitely in Missouri. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Always seems the most famous city in a state is not the capital - e.g. Illinois, Nevada, California, Washington, Florida.   Maybe just the way it works in Canada tints things for me - we have so few cities of significance to begin with

there has been something like a half dozen different locations for the state capital o' california. san francisco were capital for 'bout a year when floods wiped out sacramento before even Gromnir were born.

for practical reasons which were more important before instant communication and advances in motor travel, were a tendency to make state capitals geographical centered in a state. denver, for example, is an exception to malc observation, but if you look at a map you will notice how denver is also central located w/i the state o' colorado. 'course maps may be misleading as is the case with oregon and nevada. central located is not just a matter o' as-the-crow-flies geocentric but is also a recognition o' where people actual live. try and have centered in nevada would result in a capital situated in otherwise inhospitable making pre 20th century development and travel prohibitive.

none o' which provides an excuse for President o' the USA, and a guy who also wanted to own an nfl team at one time, to be unaware the chiefs play in misery... or missouri for those who have never been to the state in question in january. no, is not a big deal, but am kinda surprised the tweet were corrected rather than the wh attempting a mind bending excuse for why the mistake were actual accurate.

unrelated, but more relevant to thread, in spite o' the yard short being the most memorable super bowl moment for us when game clock were running, the following remains our favorite super bowl memory.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
ps
  • Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Agreed. Prince nailed that year. Few have come close. 

J-Lo and Shakira were both nice to look at but it wasn't really my thing. Of course I am always impressed at the effort and rehearsal work that goes into pulling off a performance like that. To say nothing of setting up and tearing down the stage all without damaging the field.  

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

14 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

That's the gold standard for half time performances. 

When I've not pirated streams, I've always changed the channel for half-time performances in protest. This time, I just muted it.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Anyone watching the XFL this weekend? 

Thomas Sowell