nfl 2019-2020

Gromnir

I went an atrocious 1-3 on my picks, but the 1 W was in the only game in which I cared about the outcome, not because I particularly like the C-Hox, but because I want Philly and their fanbase to suffer like I do. Schadenfreude, get the sensation!

Anyway, since my awful terrible team full of no good losers is out, I'm all in on Handsome Jimmy and the Niners.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

3 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

They need to put Wentz in one of those human size bubble balls.

He does look a bit like a hamster. 🤔

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

That's one of very few teams I didn't want to see him go to. Oh well!

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

14 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Well, he's a genuine NFL head coach, so that's  an upgrade over Princeton Red in and of itself. It won't matter much if Jerry doesn't listen to him and allow him to do his job and tries to micromanage the team himself. Is there a chance that the Giants hire Garrett? That would be AMAZINGLY HILARIOUS. Sorry, Volo (not really sorry).

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Is there a chance that the Giants hire Garrett? That would be AMAZINGLY HILARIOUS. Sorry, Volo (not really sorry). "

Eh. He'd be a step up from our last two coaches. <> I never hated Garrett like others do. Not the best coach, not the worst coach.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Tua is going to the draft. He'd look good in a Buc's uniform. It'll never happen though. No way he's still on the board. They are going to have to slap the franchise tag on Winston. Ugh. Another year of Spray and Pray

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

3 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Tua is going to the draft. He'd look good in a Buc's uniform. It'll never happen though. No way he's still on the board. They are going to have to slap the franchise tag on Winston. Ugh. Another year of Spray and Pray

How can you say that after he had a legendary year? 😅

4 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

is two-to-three guys who are being lauded as top-ten qb picks. burrow is first or second pick overall and tagovailoa... top tenish. herbert and eason could also be 1st round guys depending on the arcane calculus o' draft rankings. 

with potential five guys being draftable in the first round, weird things happen. tagovailoa slipping outside o' ten or even top fifteen is possible especial as individual evaluators from teams will actual prefer eason or herbert for their teams.  

on the positive side, we can foresee an even more epic implosion from winston next year. tampa were actual punching above its weight most o' 2019 and am predicting regression next year if jameis remains qb. every tampa loss in 2020 puts 'em one step closer to drafting trevor lawrence.  keep jameis for another year thus provides the proverbial silver-lining. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

2 hours ago, Gromnir said:

is two-to-three guys who are being lauded as top-ten qb picks. burrow is first or second pick overall and tagovailoa... top tenish. herbert and eason could also be 1st round guys depending on the arcane calculus o' draft rankings. 

with potential five guys being draftable in the first round, weird things happen. tagovailoa slipping outside o' ten or even top fifteen is possible especial as individual evaluators from teams will actual prefer eason or herbert for their teams.  

I can't imagine Tua dropping farther than the first pick of the Dolphins. They've had their sights set on him for a while and I would be very surprised if they passed on him.

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

2 minutes ago, Mannock said:

I can't imagine Tua dropping farther than the first pick of the Dolphins. They've had their sights set on him for a while and I would be very surprised if they passed on him.

last year at this time more than a few folks woulda' been surprised if you told 'em haskins would drop to 15 and the redskins. haskins, in retrospect, were drafted far too early. 6 rounds too early?

tua had a serious injury and is listed as 6'1". sure, at least one doc has given positive reports for tua, but is best to wait for more thorough feedback on his injury. the height thing will also get more play as we get closer to the draft. the combine has everybody fixated on measurables for a few weeks and "maybe 6'1"" is gonna be an issue. as minor as it appears, if tua measures closer to 6' than 6'1" at combine, then there is gonna be a few additional teams concerned, 'cause there has been very few drew brees kinda guys in the nfl.

oh, and let's keep in mind that tua played at alabama. name the last decent qb from alabama to play in the nfl. more important, name last guy from alabama who would have deserved a first round pick as a qb? kenny stabler? heck, stabler were drafted round 2. for the past decade, alabama has had so much talent at every position it is difficult to imagine a qb not being successful in their program. is sometimes more difficult to evaluate the guys such as tagovailoa and haskins precise 'cause they is perennial surrounded by first round ol, rbs, wr and tight ends. am certain we mentioned last year how the wrs at ohio state were serious inflating haskins completion percentage.

am not disagreeing tua looks like a top ten guy, but if you have 5 potential first round guys, then is best to be patient and expect some crazy from a few teams. again, think back to this time last year. with all the qb starved teams, were smart money which thought three qbs would go in the top ten picks. didn't happen. at this time last year, how many folks woulda' bet jones would be drafted before haskins?

is way too early to make predictions with much certainty... save for burrow and young. those two guys is going 1-2, if not necessarily in that order.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

31 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

last year at this time more than a few folks woulda' been surprised if you told 'em haskins would drop to 15 and the redskins. haskins, in retrospect, were drafted far too early. 6 rounds too early?

tua had a serious injury and is listed as 6'1". sure, at least one doc has given positive reports for tua, but is best to wait for more thorough feedback on his injury. the height thing will also get more play as we get closer to the draft. the combine has everybody fixated on measurables for a few weeks and "maybe 6'1"" is gonna be an issue. as minor as it appears, if tua measures closer to 6' than 6'1" at combine, then there is gonna be a few additional teams concerned, 'cause there has been very few drew brees kinda guys in the nfl.

oh, and let's keep in mind that tua played at alabama. name the last decent qb from alabama to play in the nfl. more important, name last guy from alabama who would have deserved a first round pick as a qb? kenny stabler? heck, stabler were drafted round 2. for the past decade, alabama has had so much talent at every position it is difficult to imagine a qb not being successful in their program. is sometimes more difficult to evaluate the guys such as tagovailoa and haskins precise 'cause they is perennial surrounded by first round ol, rbs, wr and tight ends. am certain we mentioned last year how the wrs at ohio state were serious inflating haskins completion percentage.

am not disagreeing tua looks like a top ten guy, but if you have 5 potential first round guys, then is best to be patient and expect some crazy from a few teams. again, think back to this time last year. with all the qb starved teams, were smart money which thought three qbs would go in the top ten picks. didn't happen. at this time last year, how many folks woulda' bet jones would be drafted before haskins?

is way too early to make predictions with much certainty... save for burrow and young. those two guys is going 1-2, if not necessarily in that order.

HA! Good Fun!

But last year was a thin QB class where no QB (perhaps sans Kyler Murray) was as highly touted as Burrows and Tua is at this point. Or Tua was prior to his severe injury I should say. So how the draft played out last year doesn't really say much how this year will play out.

As for the height, I don't think it will ward that many teams off. Kyler Murray set a new standard last year, so as long as Tua is longer than Murray (which he is), it won't be a deal breaker.

Is he a product of a perfect situation at Alabama? Sure, that could be the case. But are you going to bet against that and pick a "mediocre" QB from some lesser team thinking you've got the next Tom Brady on your hands? Some would, but I'm sure most wouldn't.

If there's one concern for Tua, which is serious, I think it's his injury history. He could be the greatest QB since sliced bread but if he can't stay on the field, that won't help you much. So if he falls, I think a lot would have to do with his medical history.

So let's say even Miami pass on him, you still have teams like the Chargers, Panthers, Jaguars, Colts, Bucs and Broncos that could be interested in a QB of Tua's talent. Heck, even the Patriots looks like they're in full swing for a QB. 

And even if all above teams pass on Tua, you also have the Saints and the Packers, which in such a situation, would say that the value is too high to pass up on Tua. So, with the caveat that the injury he has doesn't turn out to be career threatening, I will bank on Tua being picked in the first round without a doubt.

56 minutes ago, Mannock said:

So, with the caveat that the injury he has doesn't turn out to be career threatening, I will bank on Tua being picked in the first round without a doubt.

that were never the question. we mentioned the possibility tagovailoa could drop to 15 and the bucs. 

at this time last year the qb group were not considered particular thin which is why three guys were projected top ten. even after the combine there were prognostications o' three guys going top ten with murray and haskins pretty much guaranteed to be top ten. yeah, Gromnir and a few other folks were wary o' the qbs other than murray, but such were not the consensus from the experts as late as february/march 2019.

murray sure as heck hasn't dispelled concerns 'bout height neither. pff grade for murray has him as 32 best prospect from last year's draft class and he is the kinda athletic talent tagovailoa certainly is not. anybody expecting tagovailoa to rush for +500 yds next year is fugnuts. btw, #32 makes murray the second best rated rookie qb from last year, behind gardner minshew.

particular as we do not true know the extent o' tagovailoa's injury, and recognizing how he is a short 6'1" pocket passer who played at alabama with the best talent in the country on his team, we can see folks dropping him a few spots such that the bucs could get him. 

tagovailoa is a high character kid, which is almost the exception rather than the rule from an alabama player. he had a high completion percentage and he played big in big games. is considerable positives for the young man from hawaii. unfortunate, he is short and had a terrible hip injury. in addition, he has been serious concussed multiple times. am not seeing any way tagovailoa drops out of the 1st round unless it turns out his hip injury is worse than described, but we would similar less than shocked if tua were available when the bucs pick. 

HA! Good Fun!

for fun retrospective

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-draft-2019-dwayne-haskins-ohio-state-qb-rankings-order/4u8nuwbwszfh1p1dnto96n9e1

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Draft-Scouting-Reports/Scouting-Report-Dwayne-Haskins.asp

is easy to forget, but it wasn't until february o' 2019 even a few folks were suggesting haskins could be overrated.

Edited by Gromnir

46 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

that were never the question. we mentioned the possibility tagovailoa could drop to 15 and the bucs. 

at this time last year the qb group were not considered particular thin which is why three guys were projected top ten. even after the combine there were prognostications o' three guys going top ten with murray and haskins pretty much guaranteed to be top ten. yeah, Gromnir and a few other folks were wary o' the qbs other than murray, but such were not the consensus from the experts as late as february/march 2019.

murray sure as heck hasn't dispelled concerns 'bout height neither. pff grade for murray has him as 32 best prospect from last year's draft class and he is the kinda athletic talent tagovailoa certainly is not. anybody expecting tagovailoa to rush for +500 yds next year is fugnuts. btw, #32 makes murray the second best rated rookie qb from last year, behind gardner minshew.

particular as we do not true know the extent o' tagovailoa's injury, and recognizing how he is a short 6'1" pocket passer who played at alabama with the best talent in the country on his team, we can see folks dropping him a few spots such that the bucs could get him. 

tagovailoa is a high character kid, which is almost the exception rather than the rule from an alabama player. he had a high completion percentage and he played big in big games. is considerable positives for the young man from hawaii. unfortunate, he is short and had a terrible hip injury. in addition, he has been serious concussed multiple times. am not seeing any way tagovailoa drops out of the 1st round unless it turns out his hip injury is worse than described, but we would similar less than shocked if tua were available when the bucs pick. 

HA! Good Fun!

for fun retrospective

is easy to forget, but it wasn't until february o' 2019 even a few folks were suggesting haskins could be overrated.

First of all, no, it was not a deep QB class last year. I mean not if you compare it to the year before that when you had 4-5 highly rated QBs. The QBs of last year were not graded to be better than the year before and to my recollection most people agreed that last year was a thin class going into february 2019.

Regarding mock drafts that projects so and so many QBs going high in the draft doesn't have to correlate with talent, but rather an indication of how important the position is on a team and the teams at times being desperate for a new flagship. *cough* Daniel Jones to Giants *cough* 

You can have concerns just about anything you want. My point is that before Murray a lot experts/GMs/what have you had an idea that you can't pick a QB at the #1 spot if he's 5'10. But the Cards did just that with Murray so now the bar has been raised (or lowered in this case) whether anyone likes it or not. Hence it's not that huge of a deal Tua being 6'1 as it was before.

Again, his major red flag is his injury (and injury history). Fair enough, we were down to the Bucs and not talking about dropping out of round 1. Personally, I still feel good about Miami taking him (if no other team has taken him before that of course). In about four months we will know.

Having JW as your quarterback is like finding out your cancer is cured... then dying in a car accident on your way home from the doctor.  It's like outrunning the grizzly bear then falling off a cliff. It's like finding a chest full of gold coins... then finding out they are fake. Hey my QB threw for 300 yds & 2 TD's today. Too bad about that fumble and two picks, all of which went for TDs and we lost 21-14. 

Arias was right. When he's good he's VERY good. But when he's bad it's game killing terrible. And he is both in EVERY game. Having a star QB certainly helps but you can win just fine with a dependable game manager who won't make the big mistake. The Buc's superbowl team in '03 had Brad Johnson. He was the epitome of competent game manager QB. We don't NEED a Tom Brady.

Speaking of which I do hope he has the sense to retire if the Pats don't want him. The saddest things I've ever seen in sports is star athletes who hung on too long. Michael Jordan  missing a dunk by a good six inches wearing a Wizards uniform. Gordie Howe, his hair full gray, getting outskated by referees while playing for the Whalers. His team faced 5-4 mismatches every shift he played because he just couldn't get to the zone as fast. Johnny Unitas, a shell of his former self with the Chargers. Dan Marino on two bad knees getting blown out by the Jaguars. Don't become a parody of who you once were Tom. Walk out with your head held high.  

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Y'all are acting like it's Tom Brady's decision to make. The real question you should be asking is "Would Giselle want to see Tom playing is a different jersey?" :shifty:

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

1 hour ago, Hurlshot said:

I feel like Winston deserves a chance to challenge Favre for the most interceptions ever. He can get there by the end of the decade if he keeps it up.

He will have to step it up a bit. Farve threw 336. JW has 88 so far so he needs 248 more. He's averaging 17.6 per season so he will need 14 more seasons.  

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell