Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Justin Bell resigned?

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

misterjimmy

misterjimmy

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 143 posts

LsO2siH.png

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5576 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

If true, that's a huge loss for Obsidian. Justin's a really cool guy as well. He would be sorely missed by heaps of people, and especially by me. I really wish him good luck, though, in his new endeavours. Not that he really needs it, though. He's got talent in spades! :yes:

• ShadySands, Tale, marelooke and 12 others like this

xzar_monty

xzar_monty

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 686 posts

Which forum is that? I mean the one in which Chris Avellone is apparently participating.

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5384 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
RPG Codex.

Huge loss if Justin left :(

Edited by AndreaColombo, 28 October 2018 - 12:07 AM.

• InsaneCommander, xzar_monty and misterjimmy like this

Sakai

Sakai

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 151 posts

Why is Avellone gossiping about Obsidian on RPG Codex? Seems very petty. 

• anameforobsidian likes this

TheisEjsing

TheisEjsing

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 823 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Avellone's been on a drunken codex spam for a very long time now. It's amusing sometimes, informative sometimes, and petty sometimes. Pick your poison. Really sad if Justin Bell left. But good for him if he gets to follow his ambition, and unsurprising that he got swopped up. The man got a good portfolio for a young composer, that has to open doors.

Edited by TheisEjsing, 28 October 2018 - 02:23 AM.

• Achilles, ShadySands, Michael_Galt and 10 others like this

frogmoth

frogmoth

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 46 posts

Not that huge of a loss to be honest, the Soundtrack für Deadfire is extremely underwhelming for me. 

• Manveru123 likes this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14865 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

It's not a big loss for Obsidian because you don't like the music of Deadfire?

Edited by Boeroer, 28 October 2018 - 04:40 AM.

• draego, Mygaffer and PantherX14 like this

frogmoth

frogmoth

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 46 posts

I'm not a fan of the company per se, i'm a fan of the games (and the games as a whole). The quality of Deadfire suffers for me because of the music. On the other hand, i really liked his music on Tyranny and PoE I was okay too. Everyone makes a misstep sometimes.

Edited by frogmoth, 28 October 2018 - 04:49 AM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14865 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

So... it is a loss?

• TheisEjsing, InsaneCommander and PantherX14 like this

xzar_monty

xzar_monty

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 686 posts

Not that huge of a loss to be honest, the Soundtrack für Deadfire is extremely underwhelming for me. 

I wouldn't say it's extremely underwhelming, but I get what you mean: very simple melodies in 3/4 time upon a background of conventionally "dramatic" strings isn't exactly innovative.

frogmoth

frogmoth

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 46 posts

I wouldn't say it's extremely underwhelming, but I get what you mean: very simple melodies in 3/4 time upon a background of conventionally "dramatic" strings isn't exactly innovative.

Another problem for me is the inconsistent tone, maybe because of the recycling of music from the first game, music everyone who has played it instantly connects to the Dyrwood-Setting. Maybe it was also rushed somehow, who knows. The Shanties are nice though.

So... it is a loss?

Could it hurt the get some new blood for the next games? But who knows what comes next, with Obsidian probably being bought by Microsoft and at all that. Somehow i don't expect a third PoE to be my cup of tea, but we will see...

• misterjimmy likes this

house2fly

house2fly

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1166 posts
Justin Bell is a cool dude so I hope he's doing what he wants to do with his career. I appreciate his willingness to indulge fan requests like playing different tunes at night and boss battles
  • Achilles, draego, InsaneCommander and 4 others like this

xzar_monty

xzar_monty

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 686 posts

Another problem for me is the inconsistent tone, maybe because of the recycling of music from the first game, music everyone who has played it instantly connects to the Dyrwood-Setting. Maybe it was also rushed somehow, who knows. The Shanties are nice though.

Yes, I agree that the musical connections to Dyrwood are problematic. I also think the Shanties are the best part of the soundtrack. They sound authentic enough to be credible, i.e. they are nicely written in the tradition of actual old sea shanties.

I'm a bit surprised by the small amount of (new) music the game contains. I don't know if the songs are going to change later on, but it has to be said that I've listened to the same couple of tracks a lot at this point. Incidentally, the same goes for the game tips shown on loading screens: looks like there are only something like four or five of them, and they repeat endlessly.

Achilles

Achilles

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3045 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Interesting. I don't know that it instantly connected me to the Dyrwood. It did instantly connect me to the first game, which I thought was a smart counterbalance to all the things they were doing to be different from it.

glennjones130486

glennjones130486

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Justin, your talent will be sorely missed by Obsidian and the community. The soundtrack of Pillars 1, in particular, was a standout. It achieved just the right combination of nostalgia and independence.

All the best!

• Daled, InsaneCommander, frogmoth and 1 other like this

house2fly

house2fly

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1166 posts
Reused music is something I'm ambivalent on. I don't mind it for generic tracks, and at significant moments a callback can be really cool (eg the first appearance of the Eyeless in WM2 used the biawac music from the start of PoE1 which was great) but I don't like it when music I associate with certain areas gets reused in a more generic way. Burial Isle music at Poko Kahara?! D:<
  • frogmoth likes this

frogmoth

frogmoth

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 46 posts

Interesting. I don't know that it instantly connected me to the Dyrwood. It did instantly connect me to the first game, which I thought was a smart counterbalance to all the things they were doing to be different from it.

It wouldn't have been a big deal if the new music would have been more memorable.  I believe Bell wrote something in the forum about wanting the music for Deadfire to blend more into the background, maybe that's another reason for this. PoE II needed a score that invoces a lust for adventure, whereas PoE I was fine with its rather melancholic score. Deadfire doesn't really know where it stands atmospherically.

Edited by frogmoth, 28 October 2018 - 07:08 AM.

• misterjimmy likes this

frogmoth

frogmoth

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 46 posts

Reused music is something I'm ambivalent on. I don't mind it for generic tracks, and at significant moments a callback can be really cool (eg the first appearance of the Eyeless in WM2 used the biawac music from the start of PoE1 which was great) but I don't like it when music I associate with certain areas gets reused in a more generic way. Burial Isle music at Poko Kahara?! D:<

For me it's mainly the nighttime music. This track is closely connected to the vibe of the first game. 

Edited by frogmoth, 28 October 2018 - 07:11 AM.

• misterjimmy likes this

Wormerine

Wormerine

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3067 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yes, I agree that the musical connections to Dyrwood are problematic. I also think the Shanties are the best part of the soundtrack. They sound authentic enough to be credible, i.e. they are nicely written in the tradition of actual old sea shanties.

That's too bad:-). If I understood Josh correctly, those are actual sea shanties, but with lyrics modified by Josh to fit Eora lore. Not sure how much Justin had to do with them.

I do admit that I was expecting Deadfire ost to be much different considering the change of settings. I would probably welcome a more piratey feel. While I think it is fair to criticise that decision, I wouldn't necessarly criticise Justin for it. First of all, we don't know whom the decision came from. It could have been Justins idea to keep the connective tissue between both games, it might have been a directive from above. Either way, looking at individual pieces, they are quite good. One I am not a big fan of, is the overworld music - somehow it grates on my nerves. I really like "All Gods". All the Neketaka tracks are delightful as well. It's not an award winning OST, but a solid work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users