TV's Vast Wasteland

Amentep

Amazon's answer to DC's Titans, no doubt. Can it be as good though?

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Im not sure I understood the trailer....so you have 7 heroes....then there was the pack of dirty looking mugs on the couch....are they "The Boys"? Kinda, Suicide Squad-esque?

From what I know, The Boys are basically the CIA squad assigned to keep superheroes in line. So the 7 are the Shiny Public Face of Good Guys, but all have assorted private shenanigans, while The Boys are the tired, stressed out guys cleaning up the messes and trying to prevent the worst excesses.

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Watched Netflix's new series, Kingdom. Set in medieval Korea, the king's illegitimate son sets off to investigate a zombie epidemic while the queen and her family are plotting to get rid of him and take over the throne.
I know it sounds like Game of Thrones In Korea! and frankly it kind of is, but I enjoyed it. And lots of people have fabulous hats. :sorcerer:

The concept sounds interesting. Even if it's a GoT clone, it is still unique because of the setting well, setting it apart.

Kinda like Mortal Engines being a Steampunk Star Wars.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

The concept sounds interesting. Even if it's a GoT clone, it is still unique because of the setting well, setting it apart.

Kinda like Mortal Engines being a Steampunk Star Wars.

I wouldn't call it a clone per se, just that the premise is very similar,though smaller in scope.

Watched STD S02E02.

Well that turned back to being disappointing very quickly.

Yeah. I've seen a lot of people say they think S2 is a big improvement but to me both have been pretty much run of the mill Voyager/ TNG S1 level, which isn't great.

Not a fan of the spore drive even slightly so it being back is not a plus, not a fan of the classic treknobabble solution, and Tilly is already in distinct danger of becoming Wesley Mk2 in annoyance factor- and I liked her last season. OTOH I do like that they've fleshed out the bridge crew a bit more over the two eps and Pike is a decent replacement for Capt Malfoy

• Like 1

Documentary: "Fyre" - Never heard of this guy or his island party fiasco. Might've seen the cheese sandwich picture but with no idea of what it was about/its origin. Anyway the doc. is train-wreck-fascinating and makes you scramble all over the 'net wanting to know more/look up all these people, so I guess it works.

Kingdom: S. Korea's zombie series airing on Netflix now. I'm not big on zombie-genre in general but it's only 6 episodes so I took a gander. Mixes a lot of palace Royal politics and scheming (typical of period SK dramas) with zombie outbreak. Although the zombies in this case seem like a mixture of zombie and vampire, but whatever. The political stuff doesn't work (or meld) with the zombie stuff too well and it's fairly slow paced for 2-3 episodes (for zombie/horror fans who like action, I mean) but it's not too bad. The action/zombie sequences are well done visually and it doesn't shy away from violence at those times. The end was a bit ... well. Disappointing? Unexpected? Not great, not bad, but doesn't even come close Train to Busan. ;)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Kingdom: S. Korea's zombie series airing on Netflix now. I'm not big on zombie-genre in general but it's only 6 episodes so I took a gander. Mixes a lot of palace Royal politics and scheming (typical of period SK dramas) with zombie outbreak. Although the zombies in this case seem like a mixture of zombie and vampire, but whatever. The political stuff doesn't work (or meld) with the zombie stuff too well and it's fairly slow paced for 2-3 episodes (for zombie/horror fans who like action, I mean) but it's not too bad. The action/zombie sequences are well done visually and it doesn't shy away from violence at those times. The end was a bit ... well. Disappointing? Unexpected? Not great, not bad, but doesn't even come close Train to Busan. ;)

What ending? It's a cliffhanger for season 2. O.o Or are you talking about the queen's scene?

Watched STD S02E02.

Well that turned back to being disappointing very quickly.

Yeah. I've seen a lot of people say they think S2 is a big improvement but to me both have been pretty much run of the mill Voyager/ TNG S1 level, which isn't great.

Not a fan of the spore drive even slightly so it being back is not a plus, not a fan of the classic treknobabble solution, and Tilly is already in distinct danger of becoming Wesley Mk2 in annoyance factor- and I liked her last season. OTOH I do like that they've fleshed out the bridge crew a bit more over the two eps and Pike is a decent replacement for Capt Malfoy

Yeah, she does save the day a tad too often. The last few episodes of season one made her less annoying but somehow that's gone. Out of the mirror universe back to being a less charismatic Dwight Schultz type character. Also not very keen on more officers seeing dead people now. Those shrooms are magic. Sadly not only metaphorically but quite literally.

My biggest problem with the treknobabble solution in this episode were that they shouldn't have needed that solution in the first place - as Pike noticed the Prime Directive applies. That also means letting everyone die by not interfering with the radioactive debris.

Also, really, just have them tractor beam the debris away. Or transport or destroy it somehow. Dumping a super-heavy - and visible! - dark matter asteroid that instantly pulls all the debris away but somehow doesn't affect Discovery or cause widespread destruction on the planet they were saving is ridiculous.

But I've said that back during season one. There's soft sci-fi and then there's stupid. I miss the time when Star Trek showrunners hired scientific advisors to keep the stupid in check.

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

The end was a bit ... well. Disappointing? Unexpected?

What ending? ...  cliffhanger

I believe that was kind of my point.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I started watching A Discovery of Witches with the missus on Sundance Now or something like it. She's read all the books and I'm starved for anything vampire at this point. Thankfully these aren't twenty and thirtysomethings pretending to be centenarians pretending to be teens so that's been a plus. I guess it's good if your threshold for this kind of thing is better than Twilight but it still seems to be about different supes hopping on the good foot and doing the bad thing with each other but I'm only three episodes in.

Free games updated 3/4/21

The end was a bit ... well. Disappointing? Unexpected?

What ending? ... cliffhanger

I believe that was kind of my point.
I was confused because I don't call it an ending if it doesn't in fact, end. :p

I'm finally watching The Orville.

Oh man, this really does feel like quality Star Trek with low-quality jokes scattered about.

You expected different from McFarlane ? :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Still funny how The Orville got trashed so hard by critics while STD was praised... and here we are, still praising The Orville and trashing STD.

Haven't seen the new STD yet. Will probably wait till there are a few more episodes out, or maybe even the full season. I just have no motivation to go through all that garbage again right now.

But I'm craving for the next Orville episode. \o/

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Everyone's a critic. So therefor nobody is. Which begs the question, why do some people get called critics. Well because they are paid for their opinion, it's a title. Genuine opinion or not, it's only the people that reliably produce the desired opinions which retain their employment. A show that lacks free praise will need it to come from somewhere.

I highly doubt that anyone's paying someone not to like Orville though, I mean I can understand if someone paid someone to give a positive review for said product but STD isn't in any way competing with Orville so kinda strange for anyone to make it appear as such.

But yeah, you're right I mean, we as a people review things based on our likings so therefore bias will cloud any review or word of mouth anyway. Meh... Maybe we just have bad taste. Maybe the rest of the world isn't wrong. Who knows.

What I do know is that any Sci-Fi fan will see both whether on television or streaming service and what not so that ends the dilemma for most of which to pick - they don't really have to pick.

The Orville is competing with STD because they both cater to the Star Trek crowd and both aired at almost exactly the same time. Thus it's not unreasonable to compare them. Sure, folks will likely watch both at some points, but that's a different "issue" entirely.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."