Why is Perception not highlighted for Spellcasters when all spells have horrible accuracy?

It strikes me as literally the most important stat in the game, especially for spellcasters, yet it is not officially suggested. Any thoughts?

Because... it depends.

For example I have a lifegiver with 3 PER in party. He doesn't ever cast anything hostile.

Or another (milder) example: do have a damage-dealing priest on whom I have 14 PER. I don't max it because other stats because I need maxed MIG and INT on him, plus will have other party members lowering enemy resolve.

I think the main spellcasters on whom PER is absolutely vital and should be maxed most of the time - are the cc-focused ones.

It strikes me as literally the most important stat in the game, especially for spellcasters, yet it is not officially suggested. Any thoughts?

Because... it depends.

For example I have a lifegiver with 3 PER in party. He doesn't ever cast anything hostile.

Or another (milder) example: do have a damage-dealing priest on whom I have 14 PER. I don't max it because other stats because I need maxed MIG and INT on him, plus will have other party members lowering enemy resolve.

I think the main spellcasters on whom PER is absolutely vital and should be maxed most of the time - are the cc-focused ones.

Did you max Resolve on any of this characters? Resolve is starred gold for all "divine" spellcasters. Like, Durance must have been the best NPC priest ever, eh? =)

It is not super important, but I do think that this rattings are useless at best. Misleading and confusing for new players at worst.

Hey, you wanna hear a good joke?

Nobody speak, nobody get choked

What do you mean? The recommended stats or that attack rolls target different defenses?

I think the recommended resolve is still from beta where RES was boosting spell and healing damage.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Did you max Resolve on any of this characters? Resolve is starred gold for all "divine" spellcasters. Like, Durance must have been the best NPC priest ever, eh? =)

It is not super important, but I do think that this rattings are useless at best. Misleading and confusing for new players at worst.

I have 3 RES on those characters. Actually I have dumped RES on absolutely all characters in Deadfire v1.0+ so far.

Resolve is useful for builds that go for maxing deflection in order to become almost unhittable by majority of phys attacks.

But I personally find that there are other more time-efficient approaches (for a 5-man party at least). Plus there is still stuff that hits other 3 defenses.

As for RES being marked as recommended stat... it's probably as Boeroer mentioned a remain from beta 3 when RES was increasing spell dmg and healing done.

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 1

Resolve is being recommended for priests and druids from the times of PoE I . Still no idea why. Iron willed and dodgy kith of faith?

I do agree that there might be lots of cases where Perception isn't the most important stat. It's the good thing about the game – lots of valid options.

But as a *general* recomendation for where to spend your stat points? While you don't have even a general idea what all those numbers realy mean (and that would be, I think, the only moment when you pay attention to those rattings)? Perception, Dexterity and Intelligence beat all the rest for all classes. No?

Edited by Franknstein

Hey, you wanna hear a good joke?

Nobody speak, nobody get choked

I don't accuracy matters THAT much without PotD buffed npcs. If you embark on magical PotD journey, I think the devs expect your game knowledge to surpass the need for little golden and silver stars.

This game is very rich in mechanics. It took me 3 characters with Serafen's mortars, to realize that mortars as weapons target reflex with auto attacks instead of deflection as you would normally expect from weapon auto-attacks.

I have a Pally/Priest healer in party that is not meant to harm/target enemies. His only job is to heal,buff and survive, he has maxed Might/Int with the rest going into resolve, and could care less for accuracy/perception.

My Streetfighter Grenadier has -10 Acc from Blunderbuss weapon type and -5 Perception from Distracted modal and is also is main dps for party on PotD (+15 all def on enemies). I have leveled her Perception to 18 (20 with Berath Blessing)at the strart and focused background and everything else on +int for AoE area. So even though I have 30 acc handicap, it is still less favored by me than Int due to items and buffs available).

I see your point that with spells being limited as opposed by auto attacks, misses hurt more, but then again: wizards get Eldritch Aim available at level one, priests have Perception bonus spells at levels 1 & 3. Not only these boost your accuracy by five, but they give you ridiculous bonus of Graze-Hit starting at "Aware".

With party play, my Wiz will always start with self buffing before commencing with offensive casts. By the time he/she is done, he/she will have +acc and enemies will have -defense from priest. 

If you want to go even deeper, different spells target different defenses, and you can target maluses towards enabling certain spells:

-Ninagauth's Shadowflame Paralyze will target Fortitude, aim to reduce it with Might/Constitution maluses  on enemies, then unleash you Ninagauth's Shadowflame to see them paralyzed.

-Aim for reflex defense maluses (Dex/Perception) for big AoE damage

-Aim for WIll (Int/Resolve) for status spells like Arkemyr Torment/Hex

FYI I have not played druid yet to comment on them.