What are you playing right now?

And they complain about AI shooting through walls and stuff like that.

It works both ways, your team shoots through walls too.  It's not super egregious, like if you're standing on one side of a free standing wall and the enemy is on the other side of the wall you can't shoot them and they can't shoot you.  It mostly has to do with the way the game calculates angles not lining up with the attack animation, so you're in cover at the corner of a building next to a window and there's an enemy you have an angle on through that window and the window on another wall of the building.  In the shooting animation your character steps out of cover and fires on the target and sometimes that's through the wall next to the window because, while there is an angle for a shot there that doesn't hit walls, because the animation has you take 2 steps to the left you are now shooting through walls.  Firaxis XCOM had the same exact problem.

I'm not far enough in to comment on the story, but the vibe is terrific.  I legit feel like I'm in a spy thriller.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Started Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. Trying to like the game but kind of failing in that department. While the premise seemed appealing enough the story hasn't really gripped me. The fact that a bunch of lore is hidden behind collectibles annoys the hell out of me as well.

Combat is "meh", more frustrating than fun and mostly gets in the way imho. This kind of action-y combat isn't really my shtick and I really have no patience anymore in "mastering" it. The fact that you have to sit through the damn death animation every single time and that the game gives you absolutely no information at all about how the combat works only serves to make matters worse as trial and error (or Google) are your only ways of figuring things out.

The fact that the titular Senua moves pretty slowly makes figuring out the many environmental puzzles a chore as well.

All of the above doesn't really leave much, really. I might try and push past the first boss (I picked Valravn, who has been kicking my ass btw) to see if the story picks up but I fear that I'd need to get past the second one as well before things start picking up and in that case I'm not sure if I can be bothered.

Edited by marelooke

I've played twice as much No Man's Sky with the NEXT update than I did at release. And might go all the way to three times as much.

Building my fourth base, first in a new galaxy. Can't see myself doing much after I finish this base, though.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Basically, the bottom line for anyone curious about Phantom Doctrine is are you interested in playing a MUCH more stealth focused XCOM?  Because, in simplest terms, that's what this game is.

I went through another mission where I had to assault an enemy hideout and eliminate 10 of its agents and I completely stealthed that mission.  I'm so proud of myself for pulling it off.  It took some meticulous planning, timing, and teamwork, but I made it happen.  Of course, you don't HAVE TO use stealth, you can go guns blazing, but it's generally beneficial to stealth missions as much as you can.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm playing Unavowed. Guess I'm a little more than halfway through or thereabouts.

I'm a bit torn on it. It's an adventure game moving into a more "you have choices" territory. Especially in terms of story. You choose gender and an origin story which provides reactivity in the game. You also have "companions" that you can solve puzzles with, and that have some banter with each other and interjections here and there. You choose two companions to have alongside with you on each "mission".

Sounds great on paper but I find it hard to get excited about it in the game. I don't know... it just doesn't amount to much that feels interesting, and I usually *love* all kinds of reactivity in games. And it kinda feels like the classic "as we move the genre into a storyheavier territory, so does the gameplay get easier". It's been extremely easy to play so far.

I don't know. The setting is actually quite interesting, the writing is alright and the atmosphere is actually really good with some beautiful areas and nice soundtrack. But I guess I don't feel story and companion stuff is nearly interesting enough to make up for the lack of challenge in puzzles and such.

Still enjoying it quite a bit but it hasn't quite lived up to my expectations.

Edited by Starwars
  • Like 1

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Did anyone else here ever play a game called Twilight 2000? It was kinda like Jagged Alliance but in a post WW3 world.

No, but that sounds intriguing.  Was it any good?

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I'm almost disappointed that Twilight 2000 is not a game about emo vampires and werewolves trying to find love in the near future as envisioned in the 1980s.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Conan Exiles (courtesy of Oner). Still trying to figure out what the heck I'm supposed to be doing objective wise lol

Also Sleeping Dogs: Definititive Edition is much better than the standard edition. Who knew?

Every time I play it I realize just how much more meaningful the story is compared to GTA4 or GTA5. The depth of the map - although small, feels lively at least. Hmmm.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Hopefully the missions in Phantom Doctrine get more difficult later because I'm finding them too easy.  I'm playing on normal difficulty BTW.  Particularly, disguises are so powerful, especially if you have an agent with the actor perk.  Granted, you can only disguise an agent if you manage to recon an area before launching the assault and you can only disguise one agent (maybe you can expand this later?), but having an agent with the actor perk disguised for a mission is tantamount to God Mode.  I very rarely get into firefights in the game, I just stealth everything, which is fine with me since stealth is my jam.

I'm already looking forward to replaying this game on a harder difficulty, especially since completing the game opens up another faction to start as (MI6? Gladio? Mossad? Triads?) and a "more in depth playthrough.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Never played Twilight 2000 but I vaguely remember a discussion about it, either on these forums or one of its predecessors, specifically about how good its character creation process was. It was probably started by HellKittyDan.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Still trying to rush through Mad Max. Almost finished Jeets territory, then went on to the next... to learn that - of course - the game wants me to do the exact same stuff. So I hurried to get the cleanup crew parts and then made off to the next area as quickly as possible... to learn that - of course - the game wants me to do the exact same stuff. So I hurried to get the cleanup crew parts and then made off to the next area as quickly as possible... to learn that - of course - the game wants me to do the exact same stuff. So I ignored my urge to get the cleanup crew parts, just did whatever was necessary to get to the last area, where, I guess, the game wants me to do the exact same stuff. Oh lord, let me end this game soon.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Nad Maxine. Oh lord, let me end this game soon.

I know how you feel. I love the game but there have been a few games that I force myself to finish just to add it to my "completed list". I hope it's worth it in the end, so you don't have to look back.

If anything, perhaps you can enjoy the map and sandstorms. I think my favorite things is the unique map. It's all sand yet pretty cool to see a ship or plane from a distance.

Edit:

A plane or ship buried in the sand I meant lol

I do wish the game had more variety of enemies and vehicles, instead of just cars, it should have also had monster trucks, semis, busses and things like that. Customization is also lacking whether in character or car but it's cool that we can collects enemy vehicles. I give them a break because it's their first Nad Max game and probably the first good one.

I once read someone say you can use an enemy vehicle to sneak in their base at ine point in the game. Never happened for me. I really hope we see a sequel though Rage 2 most likely will quench that thirst.

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Imagine a game with Jagged Alliance's tactical turn-based gameplay and Command & Conquer Red Alert level hilariously ludicrous alternate history and cheesetastic FMV scenes complete with B list actors and celebs next level overacting.  That would be so amazing.

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

BFA is enjoyable, the zones are all pretty at least on Kul Tiras. A nice change from Legion at least. The Azerite gear is a decent enough mechanic even if it is sort of like reforging of old.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Imagine a game with Jagged Alliance's tactical turn-based gameplay and Command & Conquer Red Alert level hilariously ludicrous alternate history and cheesetastic FMV scenes complete with B list actors and celebs next level overacting. That would be so amazing.

Not sure if I should report this post to the mods...it gave me an erection.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Red Alert didn't really have cheesetastic FMV. That was RA2 and then the **** and ass of RA3 :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Red Alert didn't really have cheesetastic FMV. That was RA2 and then the **** and ass of RA3 :lol:

Some of the Soviet campaign videos were pretty cheesy in Red Alert, but yes, compared to Red Alert 2 and 3 it's really down to earth.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.