E3 2018 Thread

"You were wrong, it's actually more like the 90's Tomb Raiders but better."

90s Tomb raiders played themselves too?

Well, let's be honest here, the 90's Tomb Raiders weren't any more difficult but the bugginess of the games made a 8 hour game turn into a 20 hour experience. At least the newer games have refined and comtained the mess that the original games were. Deaths in the 90's trilogy were rarely the player's fault but due to poor design issues.

Did we played the same 90s Tomb Raider games? I don't think so.

• Like 4

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Did we played the same 90s Tomb Raider games? I don't think so.

Perhaps you played the haldheld ones, I played and beat the ones for PS1/PC by Core Design. I was a huge fan but ultimately they aged horribly. Tomb Raider: Anniversary really revealed all of the flaws of 90's Tomb Raider, kudos to them for cleaning it up and remastering the best parts. It was if they'd admitted that things weren't done the best way or as good as they should had been.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I like how they're touting the emphasis on stealth in this new Tomb raider

theres never any danger for Lara, you could line up 5 instakill headshots with bow without even need to aim

• Like 2

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Turn off auto-aim. The new Tomb Raiders aren't any more casual than the old ones, whereas Lara could basically shoot anything without looking... in... any direction at any time.

Fortunately, the new trilogy offers alot of options, you can turn iff auto-heal, turn on modifiers, etc. I would recommend this way for fabs of the old Tomb Raider fans, though it might not be their cup of tea since Lara isn't a mindless tank who can die from poor camera position.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

That 2013 Tomb Raider was some special kind of garbage. Never really been into Tomb Raiders but that game summed up gaming these days pretty well. It was one of the last games I bought, on discount even, and it still made me feel stupid for buying it. Every game is some crappy rehashed hybrid of some sort, obsessed with the next gimmicky mechanic. I didn't expect anything from this E3, and am still almost grossed out by the slew of crap.

I think I played that followup, but never finished it, because I hated the crafting etc. I'm so done with crafting and survival in games.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

That 2013 Tomb Raider was some special kind of garbage. Never really been into Tomb Raiders but that game summed up gaming these days pretty well. It was one of the last games I bought, on discount even, and it still made me feel stupid for buying it. Every game is some crappy rehashed hybrid of some sort, obsessed with the next gimmicky mechanic. I didn't expect anything from this E3, and am still almost grossed out by the slew of crap.

I take it you don't play too many games, just the few overhyped AAA titles?

To say "Games these days are garbage" as if 80's/90's games are so much better says you're either inexperienced or blinded by nostalgia, no offense but the "golden era" of gaming had more bombs than the last few recent years and indies blow away those titles. I would name some but I don't want to start an argument.

I mean, If what I'm saying wasn't true, Stardew Valley wouldn't be considered better than the original Harvest Moon games by the hardcore fans, Hollow Knight and Dead Cells wouldn't be considered the best metronidvania by the most hardcore Super Metroid/Castlevania fans, the list goes on. Even storywriting has evolved and only gotten better.... So don't close off games off today just because a few were bad.

And then there is the lath that says "I miss the days where games were good" but are the very same people who complain about a game even if it's great, because it's 2018, I guess. It's just "cool" to hate Ubi, EA, Bioware, etc these days.

This coming from the biggest fan of Sega Genesis which was a decent system with decent games. The best one being Sonic Spinball and Dr. Robotnik's Meanbean Machine.

Edit: Then again, I'm going to assume that everyone here is either around my age or a bit older. Every generation seems to think "The good ole days were the best huthut, they don't do things like they use to" which I can understand. I had this mentality til I got into indies and they opened my eyes, proving to me that they don't do things like they used to, they do them better!

Edited by SonicMage117

To say "Games these days are garbage" as if 80's/90's games are so much better says you're either inexperienced or blinded by nostalgia, no offense but the "golden era" of gaming had more bombs than the last few recent years and indies blow away those titles. I would name some but I don't want to start an argument.

I mean, If what I'm saying wasn't true, Stardew Valley wouldn't be considered better than the original Harvest Moon games by the hardcore fans, Hollow Knight and Dead Cells wouldn't be considered the best metronidvania by the most hardcore Super Metroid/Castlevania fans, the list goes on. Even storywriting has evolved and only gotten better.... So don't close off games off today just because a few were bad.

And then there is the lath that says "I miss the days where games were good" but are the very same people who complain about a game even if it's great, because it's 2018, I guess. It's just "cool" to hate Ubi, EA, Bioware, etc these days.

I'll bite. Again. But it's fun. Sort of. Like pulling nails.

You do realize that you just prove your point against you? These games are deliberate throwbacks to the earlier ones you dismiss so easily, just with a higher resolution and arguably better graphics (isn't valid for, e.g. Celeste). The only difference being that such games were the AAA ones in the 90ies. That's like saying Kung Fury proves that good movies are still made today. ;)

I'd also be interested how exactly the storytelling got better. I don't see it.
Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I'll bite. Again. But it's fun. Sort of. Like pulling nails.

You do realize that you just prove your point against you? These games are deliberate throwbacks to the earlier ones you dismiss so easily, just with a higher resolution and arguably better graphics (isn't valid for, e.g. Celeste). The only difference being that such games were the AAA ones in the 90ies. That's like saying Kung Fury proves that good movies are still made today. ;)

I'd also be interested how exactly the storytelling got better. I don't see it.

They are retro games but made today, this doesn't somehow make them 80's or 90's games lol Just because a game is highly inspired by 80's or 90's theme, or somebody says "But they wouldn't exist if it wasn't for xxxx" doesn't mean that we discredit the dev, especially if their game surpassed the game it was inspired by.

I couldn't tell you how many games from the 90's were based off something before it (whether that would be books, music, other games) but the answer is... too many. As far as storytelling skills, of course they are better now, because ober the years we've gotten only more original and writers start thinking out the box more and more. The way storytelling in games is done in games is varily differed from novels and movies since you are the character and even more deep, the character is you. So the Bach of video games isn't as relevant and some people, should they not accept it, will never admot that the Taylor Swift of games is more relevant and redeemable but it's a happy truth, we should celebrate this.

Sorry no, why I should celebrate some Taylor Swift crap is made on daily basis, when I throw up every time I hear that **** on radio?

I am man of taste, I rather listen to the Bach which was made hundreds years ago, even if it is not completely my cup of tea, because it is still much better work of art.

Same with video games.

These "singers" and games are as relevant as a bullet in a gun, some people will have fun with it, when shooting it into the bottle on the log and damage they caused, but they forget about it as soon as they shoot new one.

Edited by Mamoulian War
  • Like 3

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Is funny. That's probably why I don't like the majority of modern games-- I really loath everything Taylor Swift.

• Like 1

Sorry no, why I should celebrate some Taylor Swift crap is made on daily basis, when I throw up every time I hear that **** on radio?

I can tell you're not a musician, artistry is artistry. If only you had that experience or a close connection/love for music and thereby any involvement with it, you'd understand the analogy of which I represent, and thus represent well I do.

These "singers" and games are as relevant as a bullet in a gun, some people will have fun with it, when shooting it into the bottle on the log and damage they caused, but they forget about it as soon as they shoot new one.

But isn't it ironic? The very same people from my generation say "I remember when people just enjoyed games, I wish today could be the same" and in the same breath say "Omg... How can kids play this crap these days?" this seems to be the mindset and behavioral influence of people from my generation (generation Nintendo/Sega era).

Nope, Taylor Swift is not artistry, it is commercial poop for masses. I have around me tons of artist, who make or play actual music, and all of them are laughing their asses off, whenever someone talk how good that kind off poop is. They learned me to appreciate the real gems in music industry.

Because of that, I do not need to be a musician to understand what is quality music and what is not.

As I told before, I take Bach played by local kid, who makes small mistakes now and then, while preforming his music, than anything made by big three music publishers.

And be so kind, do not lecture me what is good and what is not, I do not want my tastes be more Swiftified, I have enough of that **** on my local radio...

Edited by Mamoulian War

it simple, more and more games today are produced as consumer goods precisely calculated by PR and management to target correct audience with features which test groups marked as most enjoyable and correct budged for marketing, somehow missing that whole passion and spirit in it. But not all and not only AAA

• Like 2

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I, for one, love Taylor Swift but prefer her older stuff when it was good ;) - nevermind what I did there...

Now enjoy a video of new games from E3 2018 backed up by beautiful TAYTAYS!

And I prefer current projects like Apocalyptica or Vanessa Mae, and while I enjoy it more than Bach or Rachmaninov, I am not against to listen to them once in a while.

And turn off radio anytime Taylor Swift is on, when you want to talk more about analogies.

Edited by Mamoulian War
  • Like 2

And turn off radio anytime Taylor Swift is on, when you want to talk more about analogies.

LOL NEVER! Her success is not without reason, she is the heart and soul and sole responsible for a lost generation so she is like a slew of indie devs. Real music, not distorted or auto tuned, written from the heart, not thrashy, not covered with effects to where her guitar sounds like a fart.

Edited by SonicMage117

Hmmm... if you say so.

I take it you don't play too many games, just the few overhyped AAA titles?

This coming from the biggest fan of Sega Genesis which was a decent system with decent games. The best one being Sonic Spinball and Dr. Robotnik's Meanbean Machine.

Edit: Then again, I'm going to assume that everyone here is either around my age or a bit older. Every generation seems to think "The good ole days were the best huthut, they don't do things like they use to" which I can understand. I had this mentality til I got into indies and they opened my eyes, proving to me that they don't do things like they used to, they do them better!

"but I don't want to start an argument." Why stop now? So many assumptions, I'm not sure where to begin, so I'll just keep it short.

I hardly play new games because they aren't memorable in any way, whether we are talking AAA or Indie. I find Indie titles just as if not more overhyped than AAA. They're mostly quirky little titles with terrible mechanics, stories with just a shade better writing, depending on how quirky you like it. An awful lot of style, little substance.

I mostly just replay games I like. Gave up on giving overhyped games a shot since I don't have an OCD to play every game that gets released.

Wait, what's going on this thread?

We all hate Taylor Swift apparently.

• Like 4
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

some info on this, not sure how accurate it is:

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"