Everything posted by Gorgon
-
LOST season six
Boring backstory. Too banal in it's duality theme.
-
What you did today
Sure, but how do you feel about your mother?
-
UK election thread
Isn't that a rather picture perfect view of an MPs connection to his constituency. People tend to vote for whoever has made the most of profiling himself with issues that the voter can connect to. It's mostly a national popularity contest. What does it matter where the candidate lives. I'll admit I have never voted for city council, I just could not muster the interest. Maybe it's a vibrant centre of local democracy, who knows.
-
UK election thread
You pointed out the inherent corruption on your own. An MP in the proportional system isn't really accountable because he owes his position to the party that put him on the list, not to the voters. The average voter is not likely to know anyone beyond the top 10-20 names in the list, with everyone else on it being party fodder. So, the voters who supposedly picked him/her likely have no idea who they actually picked. On the other hand he/she has no idea who his voters are, since everything about his political career developed through internal party politics - which is how he got on the list in the first place. @Walsingham: I dunno, Earthworm Jim says all lawers go to hell. And, unlike a FPTP system his or her mandate from the people is guaranteed to tangibly exist. I also don't see how FPTP is free from the same problem. Brown anyone ?. Would he have gone on to be PM without favouritism and party politics. Isn't that the whole reason he got where he is. Promises that he was 'next in line'. A federation type electoral organisation is less democratic because it is entirely possible for major sections of the electorate to be over, under, or un-represented. Maybe you need that in countries that are so big that local identity rivals national identity (the US for instance). Is that the case with the UK. I don't think so.
-
Not Related to AP per say; Why does everyone hate DRM?
I can cope with using steam, which is really like turning a big leaf for me. I will never buy anything that requires active internet to play. Also what's a 'casual gamer'. I don't know how do do anything at less than 100% capacity, if I can't muster that I don't do it at all - which is usually what happens.
-
UK election thread
Stealing all the seats because you got 51 % of the votes is surely worse. You can scarcely even call it democratic. Proportional representation doesn't sever the link between voter and vote, it makes each vote count the same. I see no connection with corruption whatsoever. Corruption happens to officials who aren't accountable. Favouritism, nepotism. etc. creates a culture which perpetuates itself.
-
2010 FIFA World Cup
It will be grand, and Denmark won't go through the opening rounds.
-
UK election thread
Isn't that rather a universal law of politics. One gets fed up with the old and stupidly thinks that the new is going to be better. I don't know why Labour decided to name him crown prince to begin with, he obviously has no knack for the popularity game, and by all accounts he was doing a good job as chancellor of... something or other - finance minister.
-
What you did today
So it's sortof like an English proficiency test. What do you need that for ?.
-
Top 10 sci fi films of the decade
Bobs don't need an excuse, you whiney feminists.
-
New XCOM game
But 20s-30s has all the cool cars, tommy guns, the prohibition and awesome jazz clubs Unfortunately not an exhaustive list
-
New XCOM game
10s. The Kaiser, zeppelins, steam powered warships.
-
Fallout: New Vegas
I think someone said the world map would be about the same.
-
Fallout: New Vegas
I wouldn't hold out much hope for mutant transvestite prostitutes.
-
Top 10 sci fi films of the decade
He killed his Zombie dog ?. I don't even remember that. Main problem to me was that the zombies were too
-
Top 10 sci fi films of the decade
Subtitles are awesome. Mainly because they DON'T amputate an extremely important part of an actor's toolset. The Germans, French and the Italians must be insane to put up with it on a routine basis. At least Hollywood just does a knockoff with American actors.
-
Fallout: New Vegas
I dunno, the screenies I've seen tend towards being more goofball than grimey.
-
Fallout: New Vegas
Going by other Bethesda games and what I've garnered from here there will be nothing even remotely X rated about FO NV.
-
Top 10 sci fi films of the decade
Donny Darko is hard to categorize. Since a large part of its fractured story deals with parallel universes, where else would you put it? I dunno, but technology does not play a factor, neither does 'the future'. I would say it's a movie about the inside of Donny Darko's head.
-
Fallout: New Vegas
of course not, who would? since it was obviously only added so people could "look at themselves" and not as a game-play element. since many people prefer 3rd person though, i'd imagine this is why it's of interesting note to read that New Vegas is being tweaked to make 3rd person actually playable. I always played in 3d over the shoulder. Which was also why I was running around in raider badlands armour towards the end of the game. The only gear I could stand looking at. I only discovered by accident that it was possible to zoom in with the mouse wheel all the way to FPS view. I honestly don't think many people played the game in first person.
-
Top 10 sci fi films of the decade
It seems like the popular definition of sci fi is very wide, there is a lot on that list that most people would simply never think of when asked to name sci fi movies. For instance, is Watchmen sci fi. Definately. Transformers, It's an action movie with robots, nothing even resembling social comment.
-
Top 10 sci fi films of the decade
Hey V for Vendetta, that was a rather good adaptation. I forgot about that one.
-
Top 10 sci fi films of the decade
So Donny Darko is sci fi. By that definition almost any movie would count. Also, Iron man ?. Lets stick that under superhero.
-
PC Build Advice
You might want to consider your electric bill as well.
-
Top 10 sci fi films of the decade
Yes I was feeling rather long in the tooth as well as I was trying to recall the movies I had liked.