PC Build Advice

Gfted1

Can you build it yourself or do you want a pre-built system?

What is the primary function of the computer? Is it primarily gaming or is it used for work as well. if it's used for work, is the work it's used for in need of computer performance (ie video editing, 3D modelling, etc)?

The Dell computer comes with OS and a Screen, do you need those as well (in case you can build it yourself). How about mouse and keyboard?

Edit: I have some thoughts on the package you linked anyway:

The graphics card has got to go. When I tried to configure the smae system I could add a Radeon 5870 for 280. If you can do the same, it's actually a pretty good value package.

The processor supports tri-channel memory, so you want 6 or 9 GB (or 12) rather than 8. I don't think you'll need more than 6, but it won't hurt either if it's in budget.

I'd also consider the monitor to be on the small side, but your mileage my vary.

So if you just change the memory and the graphics card, that system will probably work for you. Once I know what the computer is for I can post a suggestion for a build it yourself system if you want.

Edited by Spider

Can you build it yourself or do you want a pre-built system?

I prfer prebuilt and specifically Dell

What is the primary function of the computer?

Gaming with occasional MS Office type work.

The Dell computer comes with OS and a Screen, do you need those as well (in case you can build it yourself). How about mouse and keyboard?

I need the OS and display.

EDIT:

So if you just change the memory and the graphics card, that system will probably work for you. Once I know what the computer is for I can post a suggestion for a build it yourself system if you want.

Yes, please do. The configuration page had several upgrades for the video card for not too much more money and Im open to more memory, it was also fairly cheap to go up one level.

Edited by Gfted1

Here's wehat i'd do with that budget:

Core i5 processor:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...5-215-_-Product (200)

Radeon 5850:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...5-318-_-Product (310)

4 GB RAM:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...5-278-_-Product (115)

1Tb Harddrive:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...2-185-_-Product (75)

Motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...7-172-_-Product (140)

Monitor:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16824001378 (260)

Windows:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...4-_-Product(99)

This would cost $1200.

Missing here is case and PSU. Unfortunately newegg didn't have the case I'd recommend. Which would be this:

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=51277&am...ractal%20Design

The same company also has excellent PSU:s, but I couldn't find those anywhere in the use. But if you get a case and PSU for no more than $200, the above system could be upgraded with a 5870 instead of the 5850 for even better gaming performance and that would land you at 1500 exactly.

A few comments on why I went with what I did:

As your mainly gaming, the processor won't be that important. The i5 performs just as well 8sometimes better) in games as the i7.

You won't need more than 4GB currently. And the i5 is dual channel, so you only need dual channel memory as well. It's very easy to upgrade memory later down the orad, in case you need it.

I honestly don't know enough about motherboards, but this one is one I've seen recommended for similar systems. But there are probably other alternatives that will do just as well (or even better?).

I have the monitor linked myself and I find it to be just excellent value for the money spent. This is also a spot to cut down costs a bit, since there are cheaper monitors of the same size, as well as the option to get a smaller monitor (but really, you want ot get as large a monitor you can afford).

So those are my thoughts.

@Spider: Thank you for taking the time to look all of that up but I really prefer a prebuilt system. I have taken some of yours and Humanoid's advise though wrt upping the RAM and changing the video card and display out entirely. Whats your thoughts on this:

PROCESSORS Intel

Integrated sound is good enough for most people. But you really, really need a better graphics card. If you don't get a Radeon 5850 or 5870 I think you'll regret it. That card won't play many modern games. Especially not on the resolutions a 24" monitor wants.

Just to give you an idea on the performance of that card:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gt-220,2445.html

(it says GeForce 210, I know, but the 310 is the exact same card, just renamed to not seem obsolete, which it is).

Look at gaming performance, especially at 1920x1080 resolution (which is native for your monitor).

I prefer the first system over the second. Tri-channel memory is nicer than dual-channel, if it works within the budget. But the second one also suffers from a not too great graphics card.

Since gaming is what will need the most performance, the graphics card is the single most important component in your computer. The configuration you've linked makes more sense in an office environment, where processing power is more important than graphical abilities.

The 5450 does outperform the 310 with about 20%, but that's still not really anything to write home about.

So this config is probably the sweet spot?:

Software & Services

PROCESSORS Intel

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Also, ditch Dell for crying out loud.

I tried to build a core i5 system for you through their website, and it automatically limited to a bunch of dire, overpriced graphics card options.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

If you want price/performance, it's i5 and 5850 that you want. But I don't think either of those is available in the dell configuration he's making, at least not both at the same time. And since g1fted wants to use dell, this is what we've got to work with.

To get back under budget, couldn't you go with 6 GB of RAM? I don't think it will have any noticeable difference in performance. Do that and you will have an excellent computer.

Compared to the system I put together at newegg, you will have more ram and a better processor (although for gaming, it's pretty much the same as noted above). So yeah, it's a pretty decent deal. Personally, I'd still build it myself, because then I know exactly what components will be in the computer and I can vouch for the quality of every single part. but it's not like a company like Dell has a habit of making computers that break down, so it should be fine. My girlfriend has a Dell, albeit a laptop, and it's been just great.

So if you want a prebuilt system, and Dell specifically, I don't see any problems with that build.

Your "Sweet Spot" PC looks sweet Gfted1. Can't you ask the boss for a tiny raise? >_

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

You might want to consider a x2 5770 setup as they are about as good as the 5870, and sometimes better, but cost less.

You might want to consider your electric bill as well.

The 5770 is really not that bad when it comes to power consumption, even at x2. >_<

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I tried to build a core i5 system for you through their website, and it automatically limited to a bunch of dire, overpriced graphics card options.

If you want price/performance, it's i5 and 5850 that you want. But I don't think either of those is available in the dell configuration he's making, at least not both at the same time.

I tried to go with the i5 for the Turbo Boost performance but as you've seen there isnt a decent video card option for that config. Ive decided to go with this:

PROCESSORS Intel

If you want price/performance, it's i5 and 5850 that you want. But I don't think either of those is available in the dell configuration he's making, at least not both at the same time.

I tried to go with the i5 for the Turbo Boost performance but as you've seen there isnt a decent video card option for that config. Ive decided to go with this:

PROCESSORS Intel

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

MEMORY 9GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 6 DIMMs edit

Or is that what makes a price difference between your latest configuration and the "Sweet Spot" machine? It would be a shame running that stuff as dual channel rather than tri channel. heck, wouldn't surprise me if 6gb were a better option than 8. Tri-channel in a number you can divide by 3 Gb :brows:

I'm with Gorth. 6GB will give you better performance over 8GB, since it's tri-channel. So 6 or 9, whichever fits your budget is what I'd recommend.

Other than that, it looks very nice.

The only choices for RAM are 8, 9, 12, 24. How do I know that 8 = Dual-channel but 9 = Tri-channel? Meh, the extra RAM was an additional $60 but I guess Ill go for it.

EDIT: I can do some wheeling and dealing with my dedicated Dell rep but I may have to drop it to the 21.5" monitor to stay in budget.

Edited by Gfted1

The only choices for RAM are 8, 9, 12, 24. How do I know that 8 = Dual-channel but 9 = Tri-channel? Meh, the extra RAM was an additional $60 but I guess Ill go for it.

Good question. Is it on-line configuration? Your OP mentioned dual channel specifically.

Edit: I think I found the place. Tried to run a Desktop Studio xps 9000 through the configuration process. Lazy bastards doesn't tell exactly for the configuration. 8Gb is explicitly mentioned as dual channel and 12 + 24 Gb as tri channel. No info whatsoever on the 9 Gb. Any chance you could ask your rep to verify? It does make a difference :brows:

I can't see 9 being anything but tri-channel. But if you can verify it's always good.

You know that 8 gb isn't tri-channel since that means you'll have three identical blocks of memory. Since you can't divide 8 with three, it can at best be dual-channel.

9 on the other hand can't be divided by two, so it can't be dual channel. Which is why it only makes sense if it's tri channel.