PC Build Advice

Gfted1

I have no idea what these guys are on about. Tri-channel comes in 1GB, 2GB or 4GB memory stick configurations. This means you'll have to choose between 3GB (3x1GB), 6GB (3x2GB) or 12GB (3x4GB).

For tri-channel, it would be stupid to go for 8GB, but it's still the configuration I would choose out of the ones available to you. I would get that and actually remove one memory stick (taking it down from 4x2GB to 3x2GB memory sticks), just to be able to take advantage of the i7 tri-channel memory controller.

For your information, I don't think there are 3GB memory sticks, which would be needed to make that weird 9GB tri-channel configuration you guys are on about.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Can't there be 6 dimmslots on the mb? So 3x2 + 3x1. That would still be tri-channel, with each channel being 2+1. as long as each channel is the same, it still works I think. At least it works that way for dual channel.

(I didn't know there wasn't 3gb sticks though, that's my bad)

that being said, I agree with mkreku, getting 8 gb and removing one stick is probably the best solution.

Got the call back and the 9GB RAM is definately Tri-Channel configured as 3 x 3GB. Decided to go with everyones suggestion:

Really. Feel free to point me in the direction of where I can find these fabled 3GB memory sticks. I want one.

---

Missed your post, Spider:

"Can't there be 6 dimmslots on the mb? So 3x2 + 3x1."

Yes. In fact, I think all slot 1366 motherboards come with 6 memory slots, so that is probably what they're doing. That would also keep the tri-channel running.

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Got the call back and the 9GB RAM is definately Tri-Channel configured as 3 x 3GB. Decided to go with everyones suggestion:

Really. Feel free to point me in the direction of where I can find these fabled 3GB memory sticks. I want one.

---

Missed your post, Spider:

"Can't there be 6 dimmslots on the mb? So 3x2 + 3x1."

Yes. In fact, I think all slot 1366 motherboards come with 6 memory slots, so that is probably what they're doing. That would also keep the tri-channel running.

Youre right mkreku, the order confirmation just came through my email and states:

224-4399 1 Studio XPS 9000

317-0067 1 Studio XPS 9000, Intel Core i7-920 processor (8MB L3 Cache 2.66GHz)

317-0079 1 9GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 6 DIMMs

330-3828 1 Dell Consumer Multimedia Keyboard, US

320-1075 1 Dell ST series ST2410 24"W Full HD Monitor, 24.0 VIS, VGA Cable supplied only

320-8404 1 ATI Radeon HD 5870

341-8518 1 750GB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive 7200 RPM

421-1603 1 Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English

420-7938 1 Dell Connect 2.1

421-0530 1 Dell Support Center 2.0 64bit

420-8873 1 Dell Dock Consumer

421-1183 1 Download Store Links

420-6576 1 DELL WELCOME,Software Dimension/Inspiron

420-9691 1 DataSafe Local BackUp 2.0 Basic

420-6436 1 PC-Restore, Dim/Insp

421-0323 1 Windows Live Search,Multiple User Interface

330-6097 1 You have chosen a Windows 7 System

421-2087 1 eBay Webslice

421-0756 1 SKYPE VOIP Software Application

330-3826 1 Dell Studio USB Optical Mouse

313-3607 1 No modem requested for Dell Dimension

410-1867 1 ADOBE READER 9.0 MULTI- LANGUAGE

313-8757 1 Roxio 10.3, Easy CD & DVD

421-1412 1 Cyberlink Power DVD 8.3 Playback

313-8916 1 16X DVD+/-RW Drive

313-7186 1 Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

313-4514 1 No Speaker Requested

430-3347 1 Integrated 10/1000 Ethernet

410-2441 1 McAfee SecurityCenter 15 Month Subscription

420-6585 1 Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student Edition

950-3338 1 2 Year Limited Warranty

993-5468 1 Dell Limited Hardware Warranty Plus In-Home Service [after Remote Diagnosis], Extended Year(s)

993-5477 1 Dell Limited Hardware Warranty Plus In-Home Service [after Remote Diagnosis], Initial Year

986-1361 1 Banctec In-home Service after Remote Diagnosis, 1 Year Extended

992-6110 1 In-home Service after Remote Diagnosis, Initial Year

902-0931 1 Dell Limited Hardware Warranty 7X24 Technical Support, 1 Year Extended

960-8700 1 Dell Limited Hardware Warranty 7X24 Technical Support, Initial Year

412-0360 1 Soft Contracts - Banctec

988-7707 1 2GB DATASAFE ONLINE 1.1 FOR SDO/DIM/INS/XPS

988-0099 1 To activate your online backupaccount, go to Start, Programs, DataSafe Online

420-9518 1 DATASAFE ONLINE 1.1 2GB

330-0172 1 S and P Drop-in-Box Marcom forDHS Desktops

468-7161 1 $75 Dell Promo Gift Card - Arrives in 6-8 wks, carries a 90 Day Exp. Dell.com/giftcard

464-8849 1 Special Offer - $30 off

Pro tip: http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/

Since you're getting a Dell, keep that link handy. You will want to use it when the computer arrives.

(It also works for Lenovo, HP, Sony etc.)

When I get a new pc from some place like Dell, which doesn't happen often for precisely this reason, I immediately delete the partitions and begin again. All that junk they pre-install is ludicrous.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

So, being the nerd I am I couldnt wait until today and wound up calling Fed Ex and just going to get the package myself from their distribution center on Saturday. All I can say is WOW. The system is lightning fast and quiet as a whisper. The 24" display is a piece of art. I swear to god the damn thing is as big as my torso and its so clear I feel like Im looking out a window. Im still getting used to the size of this thing and its a little odd when I browse online as some sites (like this one) will stretch to fit the entire width while other sites just display in the middle of my screen with lots of unused space to the left and right sides. WoW, which wasnt too graphically intense anyway, is now set to "ULTRA" and looks beautiful. Just having this system makes me more excited for FO:NV so I can really see what this card is capable of.

Im still getting used to the size of this thing and its a little odd when I browse online as some sites (like this one) will stretch to fit the entire width while other sites just display in the middle of my screen with lots of unused space to the left and right sides.

Some sites use fixed widths, either to make sure even ppl w/old monitors can still view properly, or because a image heavy visual theme wouldn't work without it. Others use percentage width parameters that will 'stretch' to fit browser width.

The monitor's the one important thing I cheaped out on a little too much I think. I got fed up with hunting for one that was perfect & bought one that was 'ok'. It's finel except it has a slight contrast/brightness difference between the lower half and the upper half, which is only annoying when I edit photos. :x I love the bigger size tho...it's amazing what a difference it is with games, too.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Monitors are a bit tricky that way, especially the larger ones. The more economical ones use a TN Panel, which means the viewing angle won't be perfect and colors tend to not be 100% correct. But instead, response times are better, which makes it good for gaming.

If you want to do professional photo editing and want a better viewing angle, then you need to look at ITS (I think) panels. They're more expensive, but better where TN Panels are weak. However, their response times are worse, so they have worse performance in gaming.

So as with everything else, it comes down to what your needs are. If you work with design or editing professionally, a TN panel probably is the wrong way to go. But for a gamer (or someone who is neither) it's usually a better deal. I have a TN panel myself and it has not problems with the viewing angle when I'm sitting in front of it. If I stand up, on the other hand, it gets a lot worse.

By the way, another reason many websites uses fixed width is to make texts more readable. It's harder to follow text if the lines are very long. There's a reason magazines typically have columns. I think these fora are pretty much a nightmare in that department for instance.

By the way, another reason many websites uses fixed width is to make texts more readable. It's harder to follow text if the lines are very long.

Agreed. I realized that when I looked at my (rarely used) word press blog, which I had using the % width. I always disliked fixed width (too....much...empty...space...) but articles just don't do well when stretched across a widescreen 1920 monitor. Had to change it. Also use the half-width browser window as well. Ballgame or movie on one side, browser on the other. :shifty:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts