Everything posted by BruceVC
-
What you did today
Yeah both of those work for me, I probably prefer the cabin but the RV is very convenient ...you can basically camp anywhere you can park I imagine
-
The current refugee wave in Europe
Okay, I really have to ask. Have you actually read any of the links you posted? I don't need to refute your sources, because your sources don't back your points! Let's see, factual errors first, politics later. Nearly four in every five (79 %) asylum seekers in the EU-28 in 2014 were aged less than 35 (see Table 3); those aged 18–34 accounted for slightly more than half (54 %) of the total number of applicants, while minors aged less than 18 accounted for one quarter (26 %). — Yep, clearly 3/4 of them are men in their best fighting age. (men aged 18-34 actually amount to ~41%) Out of the 185k first-time asylum seekers in Q1 2015, 26% were Kosovars, 16% Syrians, Afghans amounting to 7%. Those of Maghrebi (North African) origin are a negligible fraction at best — Yep, clearly about half of them are North African or Arab. In 2014, close to half (45 %) of EU-28 first instance asylum decisions resulted in positive outcomes, that is grants of refugee or subsidiary protection status, or an authorisation to stay for humanitarian reasons [...] This share was considerably lower (18 %) for final decisions (based on appeal or review) / At the end of March 2015, around 530,000 persons were the subject of an application for asylum protection in the EU still under consideration by the responsible national authority — Yep, clearly everyone (well mostly everyone) is welcomed in Europe. In most regions, fewer favor other specific aspects of sharia, such as cutting off the hands of thieves and executing people who convert from Islam to another faith. [...] While many say there is only one true interpretation, substantial percentages in most countries either say there are multiple interpretations or say they do not know. [...] By contrast, only a minority of Muslims across Central Asia as well as Southern and Eastern Europe want sharia to be the official law of the land. [...] Among Muslims who support making sharia the law of the land, most do not believe that it should be applied to non-Muslims. [...] In Central Asia as well as Southern and Eastern Europe, relatively few Muslims who back sharia support severe criminal punishments. [...] Muslims in Central Asia as well as Southern and Eastern Europe are generally less likely to support stoning adulterers. [...] Elsewhere in the two regions, fewer than four-in-ten favor this type of punishment, including roughly a quarter or fewer across the countries surveyed in Southern and Eastern Europe. [...] In Central Asia as well as Southern and Eastern Europe, only in Tajikistan (22%) do more than a fifth of Muslims who want sharia as the official law of the land also condone the execution of apostates. — Yep, clearly executing apostates and non-Muslims and conducting female genital amputation is morally paramount. And you ask me why I'm so hostile? Well, you should well know: "The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it." Seriously, if you try to flood me with a bunch of irrelevant or misleading links again, I'm just going to reply by posting a ton of cat memes. I do have a lot of free time — that doesn't mean you get to waste it. Now: Yes. Or we could also look at the rape of Polish and Soviet women by Wehrmacht and Waffen-SS members, the rape of German women by RKKA members, the Rape of Nanking, the rape rate in Detroit in '85 and so on and so forth, to see why "the increase in sex crimes in Germany is being fueled by the preponderance of Muslim males among the mix of refugees/migrants entering the country" is total bull****. It's not about Muslims as much as it is about a bunch of other factors such as a complete breakdown of the rule of law, absence of repercussions, dismal living conditions and hopelessness. A bit of сum hoc ergo propter hoc never hurt anyone, right? Now, for some quick fun, let's try a little thought experiment. Let's take Marseille, which ZeroHedge claims has the highest Muslim ratio of any city in Europe, and go with a worst-case scenario: 35% are already Muslims. Now we dump the whole of France's refugee quota (30k) in there. The Muslim percentage goes up from 35% to a whopping... 38%!!! OMFG!!! Clearly, this scheme is going to "radically change the entire demographics in Europe". If you want me to find links to prove that refugees fleeing from IS and Boko Haram who are granted asylum in Europe will not be raped en masse and murdered by IS and Boko Haram, well, yes, I don't have any. I also don't have any links proving that water is wet and rope is useful for pulling but not for pushing, so please don't ask. I still believe however that we have an immediate moral mandate to at least give people whose countries we're complicit of turning into hellholes a chance to request asylum. I haven't argued for accepting everyone no matter what, because nobody is proposing that. I'm just calling bull**** on your doomsaying. Europe and "the West" at large is much more likely to fall due to to dumbass westerners more worried about their level 100 Pikachu than the fact that their government murders abroad in their name, and who are incapable of thinking for themselves, of even understanding what the freedoms earned by their forebears entail (let alone standing up for them), than to hordes of Muslim refugee-rapists. No, I don't have evidence that absorption of unskilled and uneducated foreigners is positive from a socioeconomic standpoint, and to be honest, I don't believe it is. However, I'm of the opinion that moral imperatives must overrule macroeconomic arguments. And by the way: being an able-bodied male does not mean you are generally obligated to fight in any war. Especially not in those you haven't had a hand in causing. Removing potential manpower reserves from war-torn areas is a good thing, I should think. I think a much greater risk to the future of the EU is where countries like Spain don't see the value of austerity and blame the Germans for the fact that they haven't managed there economies properly...and then anti-austerity parties come to power who now expect bailouts and financial restructuring of there economies without making the necessary changes that are expected of them So yes I am not worried that Muslim refugees are going to in anyway undermine the EU or somehow weaken it. I am much more concerned with countries undergoing austerity not seeing the long term value of that austerity
-
What you did today
Every man should have the knowledge, the skills and equipment required for spending a week outdoors. Thats basic human life knowledge, skills on the same level as basic first aid skills and the ability to defend yourself. You right, every man should have basic outdoor survival skills... but real and understandable lack of exposure to said outdoor survival skills makes that goal unrealistic Hence my objective to include someone like you on every camping trip really works...I also contribute in my own way. I get involved in the cooking and logistics around what food we need to buy. So our shared system of " camping responsibility " resonates with most people as they do see it as fair
-
Trevor Noah to replace Jon Stewart
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/30/arts/television/trevor-noah-daily-show-debut.html?_r=0 http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/daily-show-trevor-noah-tv-827833 So I'm not sure if anyone was watching and what everyone thinks of his debut at replacing the legendary Jon Stewart but Trevor Noah seems to have scored mostly favorable reviews Good for him, I'll be watching to see how he performs going forward
-
The current refugee wave in Europe
Because the media (state and private) have portrayed it about thousands of families (pictured as women and children) from Syria are coming, that we all need to help, and subsequently we have had charities with childrens clothes, books, and toys. We established a huge network of refugee centers, built an infrastructure and reserved houses and renovated them for Syrian families....when in reality it is well-dressed, happy Iraqi and Afghani men in fighting age that have a lot of money. Elerond already linked about people turning back because the lack bars and the weather, which leaves people feeling quite duped. The cracks are already showing when the minister of interior is already calling for renegotitation of the quotas with other nordic countries. Well it hasn't exactly been a secret that there will also be refugees from other war torn countries, like Afghanistan and Iraq. These would be accepted in the EU but economic migrants wouldn't be So I'm not sure how Finland can say this was a complete surprise ?
-
What you did today
That looks stunning, it should be a nice break I don't mind camping as long as there is someone who comes along who knows all about the various camping tasks...like how to put the tent up properly and how to fish and do other camping related things
-
Republican Presidential Debate
This is a good post Zora, its interesting and raises some good points
-
Republican Presidential Debate
Yes you are a reactionary....not quite a zealot but no doubt a reactionary
-
Republican Presidential Debate
You guys are all delusional. We go to war over nothing and you think we wouldn't go to war over something? Nah, the USA going to war over misinformation and a hidden political agenda, like Iraq, is not the same as the USA going to war over nothing
-
The current refugee wave in Europe
Oh that video make me laugh...I know it was not meant to be funny but do you think these media houses look for the most controversial but presentable person, like the major, and then ask him his view on the refugees knowing full well he is going to come across looking very bigoted and ignorant? Did you see the designated area they were thinking of housing the refugees in....I don't think you could get hell hounds to live there Oh then his concern about "the needs " ....I'm interested in how European " needs "are different from lets say a Syrian refugee....does he really think that Syrians would be more inclined to acts like rape because they are have had a long and harrowing journey Anyway there are much better spokesmen for the Hungarian view than that major and they make a better case than him around the issues with the Syrians
-
Rugby World Cup !
So South Africa beat Samoa 46-6 ...we played exactly how we should have played against Japan last week This past week has been particularly mentally draining and melancholic as almost everyone I know has been saying how the loss against Japan represents the state of the country and how we are beset by so many insurmountable social problems " whats the point in staying in South Africa " ...yes hyperbole was rife. It reminded me again how human beings can become so fixated on something like sport, that really just represents entertainment and for some a sense of pride, and then start associating things with it that are not relevant Anyway great game and we are back as contenders for a World Cup victory...I'm off to celebrate and drink up a storm
- The current refugee wave in Europe
- The current refugee wave in Europe
-
What you did today
Gorth what do you do for a living again? Software ERP software to be more precise, but not everyone is familiar with it (the term), despite most people in the industrialised world being slaves to it. Thats right...Germany would be a natural fit you must have assumed. Do you work with SAP or JD Edwards and if you don't mind sharing what exactly do you do? I assumed it must have been something specialized and important because of how relatively easily you moved around
-
The current refugee wave in Europe
Not all religious icons are equal. Mohammed's life is much better known and he was a warlord in his time. Much of what ISIS is doing, is exactly what Mohammad was doing in his time - including decapitations, destruction of anything "pagan" etc. Liberals need to outgrow the childish manner of treating all religions as the same thing as a way of taking the moral high ground. Most religious texts are open ended and can be interpreted in many different ways, but the Quran, and Islam in general is an extremely militant religion, has been since its creation. It was stopped by endless wars at the gates of Europe, and the downfall of its empires - not because anything about it changed, or because it was internally pushed aside by new ideologies like Christianity in Europe. Europeans may like to think they've outgrown religion, but muslims don't and treat that very idea as an insult. The only thing worse to a muslim believer than a Christian is an atheist and there is no way any of them can, in good conscience, like that sort of liberal, sex drenched,"gay rights" pride parade society. I'm not even much of a believer and I don't like where Europe is heading, so I can only imagine what they think. This leads to the creation of a parallel society where the entire immigrant class socializes internally and is closed off to the rest of the society and vice versa. When they're a few hundred thousand in a society of millions, you can say that's irrelevent, but when there are millions of them living an entirely separate existence it doesn't take a genius to see that that can't lead anywhere good. You know whats funny Drowsy, its not often I say this but this type of ostensibly "anti-Muslim " view is important And I tell you why its important countries like Serbia do need to keep bringing this up ....because most EU countries wont say this type of thing because they see this as not politically correct. So I do feel what Serbia and Hungary are doing has its place as lets be honest the Muslim world doesn't think much of your people if you look historically at how the Ottomans conquered you guys And yes Muslims take the Koran literally, but for me the worst thing for your average Muslim really depends on where you live In South Africa the Muslims particularly dislike the Jews\Israelis and someone like an apostate who criticizes there religion But you have to realize the Muslims in America are not like the Muslims you have experience with ...so Hurlshot will have a very different view and it is valid as many Muslim Americans try very hard to integrate And finally there is NO chance that somehow the EU will be surreptitiously taken over by Muslims. The reality is the EU culture is superior in almost every way to your average ME country....people would be going backwards if they started becoming like the ME and that is not going to happen But its good you raise this concern..I wouldn't have said something like this but people are worried about this
-
The current refugee wave in Europe
Meshugger and others please ignore this, Zora is trying to bait you and think less of the EU. The reality is Greece has no one to blame but themselves so lets not even bring Greece into this He is deliberately embellishing the " negative " decisions of Germany because he is anti-Western and he likes to undermine the West I have no issue with people being anti-Western, they just need to be honest about it. I can understand some of the criticism but end of the day this whole Syrian refugee crisis is more a knee jerk reaction based on the principle than the fact that somehow 2 million Syrians are going to undermine the EU. And the media is not helping things when they say things like "this is the greatest crisis the EU is facing " And finally I know you guys don't need me to tell you is who sincere about there concern on these forums about the EU....but trust me Zora would be quite happy if the whole EU failed. And I assume you don't want the EU to fail ?
-
What you did today
So its Heritage Day today in South Africa and a public holiday....people are suppose to celebrate there culture and how its part of the new country But for some this day is the perfect time to complain how this " Democracy is a form of entrapment and slavery as white people still control the economy and they are unemployed " If you guys want to see what we go through as white South Africans who are part of the transformation and are committed to a non-racial economic country read these links....this is from this new website run by young disillusioned black people who have decided that the fault of everything in South Africa and African is due to white people,colonialism and what they call " white capital " ....they are trying to rediscover black consciousness and have decided the only way to way to do this is to completely blame white people and take no responsibility for any of the real problems on the continent....they think Robert Mugabe is a great African leader http://vanguardmagazine.co.za/from-usobukwe-uthi-ayihlome-to-ulilian-ngoyi-uthi-ayihlome-the-sole-face-of-our-political-discourse-cannot-continue-to-be-a-man/ http://vanguardmagazine.co.za/f-off-white-people-mbe-mbhele-on-his-ambivalence-at-upsetting-white-people/
-
The current refugee wave in Europe
This is the perfect time to discuss it, I dont want to keep bringing this up You see I refuse to believe what you saying because I believe if people want to live in Western countries then they can adopt....if you look at the Muslim community in the USA they have adopted very well. Ask Hurlshot But the European integration hasn't gone that well....I'm not sure what all the reasons are. I know some, like the French Algerians and the resentment But lets take the UK....its done as well as any country to be inclusive yet you still have these reprehensible clergy preachers literally verbally attacking the country....its a disgrace So how is it working in the USA? I can hazard a guess..in the USA they are more stricter about the integration criteria and you feel its a big deal to actually get in? Maybe the EU is accepting so its not appreciated?
-
The current refugee wave in Europe
I respect the way you will make a point on principle based on what you have experienced , even if that is not what most people are saying. For example I know you have spent time understanding and meeting your local Muslim community and your opinion of Muslims is absolutely reasonable and fair. I don't think anyone is suggesting that all Muslims have the same views but Ineth also makes some good points ...I just don't think he is going about making his point in the right way....I'll touch on that now because we should be able to discuss this without being seen as Islamophobic Yeah but in some religions, the violent fundamentalists can easily convince (especially young) believers that their way is indeed a "going back to the fundamentals!" by pointing at the example set by the religion's founder, whereas in other religions/philosophies they have to come up with auxiliary justifications. Isn't it commonly accepted now that "carpenter" was a mistranslation by Martin Luther, and that Jesus - if he existed - was most likely a stone quarry worker? (Considering a stone quarry apparently existed near where he grew up, and would fit the Greek word used to describe his day job). At least that's what I read in a 'popular history' article in an atheist magazine... Not that "stone quarry worker" wouldn't lend itself to jokes too, mind you... @ Ineth I think you raise some good points but can I make a suggestion? I have had this discussion many times where people want to raise a valid criticism or concern around areas in the Muslim world and they use the history of Islam to support that view But even if there historical reference is accurate you can see its never really accepted because its easy to find similar comparisons around Christianity or Western culture. Also there are many European countries that have thriving Muslim communities so its not nice to hear someone say, or think they are saying, something about Islam and use historical context to justify it I want to raise my concern with parts of the ME and Muslim countries. Now just to clarify something, we use to have a branch in the UAE and from that branch our company use to do work throughout the ME....but not all countries. Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, Kuwait, Iran, Qatar, Bahrain and Jordan. Like most Western companies we use the UAE as our home base as its the most progressive and stable. The only reason I am mentioning this is because I want it to be clear I have worked in the ME and I have experienced the culture So I am a liberal and I take SJ seriously and the ME is basically very conservative with different degrees of how they implement there religious laws. Now as a foreigner I had to respect there laws and not complain....and I can promise you many things appalled me. Like there views on Homophobia ....its really considered anathema and its the death penalty in some countries They always treated us well as white, male expats in any country we went to but that was not enough for me as its obvious if you look hard enough to see the blatant discrimination at how other minority groups are treated. For example we use to do training on various software products and people would come from around the ME to attend the training course. One of our most talented consultants and trainers is a women and in the beginning when we got the contracts she would do the training...and I'll never forget her frantically calling our office to please get someone to go the training room on day 1 as she couldn't continue the training as none of the men would talk to her...not one. Its was annoying and insulting so we had then get someone else to run the course Then another example is we took one of our main customers which is a very successful private bank to a conference in Saudi. We were all standing at the entrance line at Riyadh airport with the customer and the CTO of this bank was a South African Indian. The Saudi airport security came and pulled him out our line, white people have there own line at the airport, and wanted him to stand in the line with the uneducated cheap migrant laborers that countries like Saudi bring in to do all the manual work..so this applies to Pakistanis, Indians and Afghanistan citizens. It was very embarrassing because this guy had 3 degrees and was highly educated but the Saudis couldn't tell the difference and just saw him as an " Indian laborer" I can give many more examples but I think my point should be clear ...now some expats are fine with this or don't seem to notice it but it bothered me immensely. But my view was " I can't change this type of thing so if these countries are able to function like this I have enough concerns in my own country ". I also thought social changes take time But recent events around the Arab Spring and other areas of disturbances in the ME, like the working conditions of laborers in Qatar working on the world cup, have clearly demonstrated that this system is definitely not working and various groups are unhappy on a number of levels Which brings me to my point...the outcome of the Syrian conflict has lead to the West and the EU having to now adsorb hundreds of thousands of people. And the reality is if the ME actually showed more responsibility and concern for fellow Muslims this wouldn't be happening. And its because they don't really care about basic human rights unless its there own citizens or countries they are aligned to Now you may not see the connection...but I can promise you if countries like Saudi Arabia or the UAE treated there laborers fairly they would happily take in the Syrians. But they don't care because they are use to doing what they want and no one really challengers them as until recently it made more sense to be a non-critical ally of a place like Saudi Arabia than to try to push things like gay rights or enforce a system where they don't abuse there migrant laborers So now what ....we have friction in the EU because countries like Germany think they doing the right thing by letting the refugees in and places like Hungary who are patently unable to manage the amount of Muslims coming in and think " they defending Christendom " ...but Hungary is just making the situation more untenable and actually adding to the overall chaos So in summary, the ME needs to start really seeing itself as a real Arab community and taking responsibility for its own Arab citizens . They meet in the Arab League and discuss matter relevant to the area but it seems just like the African Union when it comes to making meaningful commitments they lack the will or political interest I'm not saying they need to become more " Westernized " but they need to stop paying lip service to all these Unions that countries belong to and realize these Unions are not just about monthly meetings where the rulers meet to discuss how important there sovereignty is and how they resent " Western interference " yet they cant even agree or commit resources to fixing there own regional problems I'm tired of making excuses for groups like the AU and the Arab League and how ineffective they are when it comes to good governance and how this lack of effectiveness ultimately negatively impacts there own citizens. So whats the point of even having these organisations who claim to represent the aspirations of the region?
-
What you did today
No chance ....Wals really use to dislike Oby, he had this almost unreasonable dislike of him. I can't believe people use to get so annoyed by Oby
-
What you did today
Gorth what do you do for a living again?
-
Game that best captures the feeling of being a mage
The Gothic series was quite good for Magery but I thought you had a major disadvantage if you played as a Mage in Gothic 2....I battled to defeat the dragons
-
Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry
As usual an excellent speech by Obama....Volo I assume you feel guilty about all the criticisms you have had towards Obama? And yet now he is agreeing with the general GG sentiment about free speech and people not being silenced at places like Universities Remember that University where they wanted to create " safe places " and " safe rooms " for students who " might get upset by what Christina Sommers was going to say" ....it was pathetic
-
Democalypse 2016
" like watching a train wreck in slow motion " I like your usage of metaphors when you make points, they generally apt but humorous I used another one you made when I described that new D&D game to my brothers, I said "its like a Ham sandwich..nothing wrong with that as long as all you want is a Ham sandwich "
-
Democalypse 2016
Yeah I heard about this and its all because of Trump You know guys I have a question to all Republican supporters on this forum...Walker summarized my view "Mr. Walker’s pointed rebuke of Mr. Trump gave powerful voice to the private fears of many Republicans that the party risked alienating large parts of the electorate — Hispanics, women, immigrants, veterans, and most recently, Muslims — if Mr. Trump continued vilifying or mocking them as part of his overtures to angry and disaffected voters " Do you guys realize that you cannot win if Trump becomes the presidential candidate...or rather let me say its highly unlikely Trump by alienating the various minorities will be unintentionally the Republicans biggest problem....I have said this before but now its become a common criticism from within the Republican ranks. Does this not concern the Republican supporters on this forum...it should concern you because I assume this presidential race is not just about grandstanding and theatrics ...its about actually winning ?