Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Obsidian Forum Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

alanschu

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by alanschu

  1. Work work.
  2. How about for the ones that reply to you only to solicit a response because it's your kryptonite?
  3. You knew this was coming! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LnVIo3Bwzs
  4. Given how I feel this morning, more likely just feeling ill :S
  5. Makes sense. I mean, look at the original Baldur's Gate. Most people completely skipped over that one because it wasn't a sequel of another game.
  6. The crusade goes quite a bit beyond a massive dose of skepticism, particularly when you aim to scrutinize aspects that you can't be anything more than completely oblivious to the finer details. I don't think there's anything he could show that would make you happy, at this rate. At least, you certainly seem to be taking great joy in pointing out how we've all been hoodwinked out of our money by a shyster. But I guess you're at a place where whether the game is good or not, you have a position by which you can be satisfied with. Unless you make it a habit of contributing to the bank account of millionaire CEOs that you don't trust to deliver on a project that you think is done in bad faith while also being misrepresented. Or maybe I'm just cranky because of some insomnia.
  7. I haven't been the biggest supporter of the new Torment by any means, but this isn't necessary and is basically just latching onto something without understanding the contexts that may have occurred to have caused this to happen and so forth. At this point I think it's safe to say that a sizeable number of people have enough faith in Brian, inXile, and the crew recruited in by the Kickstarter team to take a flyer on the Kickstarter itself. Which would still include me.
  8. Does it actually need to be called "Baldur's Gate 3" then?
  9. Originally, they were looking at something along the lines of what PE is using, I believe, but that was before they had to rewrite a bunch of core systems for infinity - I have no idea what their current plans are, but I think you'll be looking either at their rewritten infinity or 3d characters on 2d backgrounds. Considering the collective reasons stated by the Overhaul people for leaving Bioware, I doubt they'd do what you're suggesting here. And, so far, the worst thing I've heard said about Overhaul's writers was something along the lines of them not being quite as good as Bioware as at their prime. Let's face it, nobody apart from Obsidian's people are. Still leaves room for being better than anybody else. What were their stated reasons?
  10. Just be careful with terms like this. You'll need to set a really low threshold for "consensus" IMO.
  11. It's more about how it manifests. It just comes across as organic and if you distill down most quests to smaller components, you can often find that it is "Go to a place... do a thing." Where it really shines in Ultima VII is that you can accomplish a lot of this stuff in a truly non-linear fashion (as opposed to faux non-linearity that many games have today, which is "Do stuff not related to the main quest line in any order that you want"). It's wrapped in a pretty eloquent (especially for its time) narrative, however, and still stands as one of my favourite games of all time. All the while having an open world complete with excellent NPC scheduling systems that comes across as well ahead of its time IMO.
  12. As an aside, I actually really enjoy the story/narrative of The Missing Link! (though I'm less of a fan of "We will remove all your augs" at the start... haha)
  13. A plethora of new parts (like... 18 I think). Starting
  14. Still spliting time between BF4 and DXHR. Today was a DXHR day.
  15. As stated by Keyrock, Zenimax owns id Software now (and has for some time). Further, starting his own 3D headset might not be what he's interested in doing, especially if Oculus was all "Would you like to join us?"
  16. Pun intended? Capital S, I'd say YeS.
  17. That he wants to move on and try something else?
  18. Ugh stop and frisk....
  19. Seeing the "Doesn't even look up what THAC0 means" is not an indictment against the reviewer, IMO. But then I always disliked AD&D and enjoyed the BG games despite it.
  20. I'm hoping that it has meaningful combat too. I am just indifferent to how it is presented. Heh, so I should argue for the game mechanic that you like because in your mind I would prefer that more? At this point I'm more inclined to vote Turn-based almost out of spite. To be clear that I don't care about the combat mechanics does not mean I want poor combat, nor that I want combat to be resolved in a particular way. If the developers feel that they can provide a fun combat experience with turn based, and the advantages that affords them, then by all means. While I may have granted your defense about not being disingenuous with other features, asking posters to do this leaves an absolutely sour taste in my mouth and does much more for pushing me away from your perspective. You might as well just say "If you don't care, please vote for what I like because I do care a lot." I'd give you points for just being honest. Let me go back to a point you made in the previous post: Mechanics is most definitely not orthogonal to focus. Every feature represents an opportunity cost. And if they don't have any sort of RTwP system implemented, but already have a working model for turn based combat, then you're completely overlooking that cost. How much other things are you willing to sacrifice in order to get RTwP combat? What story features are you okay cutting? What areas are you okay not visiting?
  21. Not too surprising given he had jumped over to Oculus. Still, feels a bit weird haha.
  22. You're missing the point that I am making is that PST's encounter design is affected by the focus the developer had on the game (which was not one of focus). I also feel you're being exceptionally disingenuous in your other posts since you clearly recognize this and as such continually make comparisons to Baldur's Gate 2. I think that you also miss the point when people say "the combat of PST wasn't the same as BG or IWD" despite the fact that they use the same engine and mechanics. The games have very different focuses. Eh, in retrospect I misunderstood what you were referring to. Though to be honest this whole ordeal is just the thing that I was worried about with respect to Kickstarter (and to be fair, you're hardly the only person the contributes to this). People have this false notion that there's consensus when they say "I want a sequel to <game I love>" but there hardly is. Do you not believe that the game can be a "Torment experience" because it has a turn based combat system? Is it safe to assume that for you, the combat of the original game is something you consider significant value added?
  23. You're making an assumption that the combat in PST would've been identical had it been a turn-based system. We don't know that. All I know is that the combat for the game isn't something that concerns me at all. I don't even want Baldur's Gate 2 style combat in this game. I am trying to decide if I'd even miss combat if it didn't exist and I am not sure if I would. Stating, however, that this "fact ... obviously isn't clear" will just antagonize people. I think I could just as easily point out that the fact that some are okay and flexible with the combat style is not very clear to you (for the record I'm in the "do not care" camp).
  24. It's more a situation of fans liking different things out of the original game. Given that PST's combat was, in my opinion, quite poor, I am perfectly okay with them trying something different. Heck, if it's what they want to do, I say go for it since it's better to have devs exploring features they want. I could maybe see reservations with Eternity, but I admit I am a bit surprised at how many have dug their heels into their ground over this particular aspect of the game.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.