Here's the exact phrase
Al[sic] it takes for Islam to be threatened is a teenage girl with an opinion.
Note, however, that his reply didn't quote the video. He simply clicked reply to a series of replies to which one 3 levels deep made reference to the video.
Commonsense (as opposed to "common sense," if we're wishing to be pedantic) is overrated. Proper usage of words goes a long way, however. Islam is a religion. If he's referring to the governments and societies, it's best to be clear when stating that. Especially given that equating Islam with the countries is precisely how stereotypes perpetuate.
Well, at least you're willing to acknowledge your own misuse of stereotypes and assumption. So I'll give you a bit of credit for that. It should be noted that I made no qualification for where I was referring to people. That's something you (and arguably he) did.
I'm referring to ALL Islamic people, and as stated made no such distinction (at any time) to the geography that I was referring to. Unless you're purporting that the Islamic people that send their Islamic little girls to schools in the Islamic countries (only to be attacked by Al-Qaeda) or not Mulsim.... Or does Malala not have Muslim parents?
-----------
Or are you just arguing for the sake of arguing,
---------
Let's just be honest here... both of us are. And he probably is too. Or are you genuinely attempting to educate me on something? (I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you are not trying to educate me to equate "Islam" with "All the countries with a large Muslim population" because that's an awful thing to try to educate me upon).
----------
because your quote here comes across as a bit childish. eg. I'm not going to answer your question until you change your stance. na na. Why not just answer likety-split's question?
----------
It totally is childish. As is his response to me about how I didn't answer the question when I was pointing out that my response had nothing to do with the [new] question he was now posing (by which he continues to evade responsibility for his usage of the term Islam). I didn't just answer the question because it deflects away from the actual issue I am addressing.
"Al[sic] it takes for Islam to be threatened is a teenage girl with an opinion."
All it takes for Al-Qaeda to be threatened is a teenage girl with an opinion.
All it takes for alanschu to be threatened is a licketysplit with an opinion on the Islamic religion.
All it takes for licketysplit to be threatened is an alanschu with an opinion that his comment is silly.
All it takes for Hiro Protagonist to be threatened is an alanschu with an opinion that Hiro feels is childish and unnecssarily unconfrontational.
All it takes for America to be threatened is a black woman with an opinion (that she should be allowed to sit in the front of the bus).
All it takes for ALMOST ANYTHING to be threatened is SOMEONE with an opinion [that challenges the status quo].
Feel free to fill in the blanks (that is, the capital letters) and it's a silly statement of the obvious that has the unfortunate implications of stereotyping an entire religion and all the followers of it. And you're living proof that it's a problem since you knew specifically what he was referring to. And yes, I stand by my statement that callously using the term "Islam" when referring to a specific subset of the religion is irresponsible, and helps reinforce negative stereotypes and is frankly part of the damn problem.
As for the question, as hopefully my point and reasoning for engaging with him is NOW PAINFULLY clear, here it is: Women in counties that have large Muslim populations are generally mistreated in that they do not have (what I consider) many of the rights, privileges, and (most importantly) protections that I feel they should have. I think that the countries have a long ways to go, and in some cases (such as Pakistan) have regressed for a variety of reasons.
Now, disassociate the religion from the culture. Are women treated the way they are in the Muslim world because of the the Quran? Or are there other cultural aspects that may be contributing (even more so). The actions of many of the countries in those regions come across as very different than the descriptions of the Quran that I am familiar with.
While the Quran does have some problematic elements in it, with regards to wives (distinction: not all women) being placed under the care of husbands (distinction: not all men), it's actually pretty explicit on how men and women are seen as equals before God, and has a pretty strong history (especially at the time) of enabling women as well as advocacy for equality between the sexes.
Some confounding variables, however, are that many of the countries with large Muslim populations suffer from cultural challenges with respect to their traditions as well as their government types. No country in the Muslim World is considered a Full Democracy, with most being considered Authoritarian or Mixed Regimes.
Though I'm speculating at this point, I'd wager there continues to be cultural influences that continue to undermine women, as even North America and Europe still find themselves suffering from a lot of problematic issues in terms of gender/sex discrimination.