Ah okay. I guess it would provide some protection against thrown stones, thought basically none against bullets. It's hard to tell whether it'd do much against a riot stick: a blunt metal weapon like a mace would stove it in with no problem but riot sticks don't work on quite the same principle. Of course if he's singled out by riot police his protection isn't going to count for much, since they'll just bypass it.

I'll stand by a modified version of my claim, namely during the ancient and medieval period essentially no one would have worn an unmodified pot as an improvised helm. To add to what I said earlier, it turns out the majority of cooking pots used by poorer people were clay, and many metal pots would have been copper: neither would provide much protection.

If we want silly weird weapons for real I suggest we doing something totally original and copy a weapon from Bloodborne.  You can get a captured polpolvir's soul in a glove, and when worn, it turns your arm into a cluster of 3-4 tentacles you can beat people with.

• Like 1

Copying a weapon from another game doesn't sound 'totally original' to me.

There's also going to be a companion (or a sidekick? I forget) which is supposed to be a living weapon, that is, a weapon with a soul infused in it and.... completely independent? No idea if it'd float on it's own or if it has to be wielded by someone to have any sort of mobility.

Edit: Oh, I was thinking of the weapon mentioned here: https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire?update=278#updates , not a companion or anything.

Edited by smjjames

Aren't we already getting a soul weapon...

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of, but got confused whether it was a companion. The fact that it talks makes it sort of like a companion, though more like having a parrot than an actual companion.

Copying a weapon from another game doesn't sound 'totally original' to me.

I was being a wee bit facetious.  I am well aware there is nothing original about copying some other idea.

• Like 1

Copy Sex Machine from From Dusk Till Dawn and give us a codpiece revolver.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

To add to what I said earlier, it turns out the majority of cooking pots used by poorer people were clay, and many metal pots would have been copper: neither would provide much protection.

Ignoring the rest of your post and focusing on this specific statement, I will say only that there was an entire time period where copper armor was common because it was in fact the Copper Age; in between the stone age and the bronze age, copper was the thing. Even in later time periods, I imagine copper armor is superior to no armor.

dd120098729a03197669c2d25c557b9e.jpg

Edited by Katarack21
  • Like 1

I really don't get why people think the Larder Door is out there, it is a big ass door converted into a shield.  It makes perfect sense.  Where do you guys think the "pot lid" helmet thing came from?  Sometimes a farmer or peasant had to fight, and they didn't have chainmail, with a nice coif, a peaked bascinet, a broadsword, and a metal heater shield in the cupboard. 

People have to use what is at hand.

Assuming by "pot lid" helmet you mean a kettle hat then no. Those were so called because they resembled kettles, not because they literally used to be kettles.

This isn't to say that common items weren't used as improvised military equipment when needed. For example archaeological finds from mass graves at the Battle of Visby turn up all sorts of crude pieces of armour that appear to have be hurriedly modified pieces of metal rather than bespoke armour. We are given a false impression of armour from what remains, but of course only the best pieces were actually kept rather than being recycled.

That said, it's important to note that even the crude armour of Visby was modified from its original source. I dare say someone, somewhere in history has tried wearing an actual pot as a helmet, but I doubt it was at all common since pots would make poor helmets due to being fundamentally different. The vast majority of men who couldn't afford to buy an actual metal helmet (or have something modified into one) would have settled for some sort of padded hood (think a mail coif made from multiple layers of linen), and by the age of bascinets those men were rare: almost all English longbowmen in the hundred years war would have had at least a metal skullcap, and those that didn't would have tried to loot one after a battle (many longbowmen who had served for a while wear surprisingly well armoured infact).

As for using a door as a shield, even ignoring the weight problem (even cut down to the size of a shield it would be far too heavy) it would make a poor shield since shields consist of more than just wooden planks. They also have coverings of raw hide, linen etc. which were actually vital to their function. A door would have been effective against arrows but would have come apart very quickly against blows from melee weapons.

An improvised weapon which comes to my mind is war scythes used by polish peasants during the Deluge. They simply moved scythes blade 90 degrees and created a sort of pole arm out of it. Turned out surprisingly effective against better equipped enemies.

I'm thinking a ship wheel as a shield or at the end of a flail. Heck, maybe even a club weapon. Find the 8 (club/steering knobs) pieces and you can craft a legendary ship wheel for the ship.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f5/18/49/f5184967ea9cdfb274c7d3ed1c8267b3.jpg

A ship wheel for a shield wouldn't be of much good cosidering how many and how large open spaces it has :p

But I'm in for some crazy marine-themed gear. Like a giant clam shell for a shield or ogres weilding anchors on chains as flails :D

Even in later time periods, I imagine copper armor is superior to no armor.

Indeed, but copper isn't a cheap metal. From what I read, copper cooking pots were things wealthier people owned and wealthier people would either avoid fighting, or be able to afford an actual helm.

Also look at the design of the helmet you linked: it has a thick ridge along the brow which would have strengthened it against downwards blows. I can't say for certain, but I also suspect it's significantly thicker than a typical copper cooking pot from the middle ages. The fact remains that, whilst there are superficial similarities, cooking pots and helms are fundamentally different things and not very interchangeable.

An improvised weapon which comes to my mind is war scythes used by polish peasants during the Deluge. They simply moved scythes blade 90 degrees and created a sort of pole arm out of it. Turned out surprisingly effective against better equipped enemies.

Indeed, but I didn't say improvised equipment wasn't a thing: I even mentioned the archaeological finds from the Battle of Visby which showed armour that had been modified from other objects. The important thing is that it was modified. Go into battle with an unmodified scythe and you'll be less effective that if you remove the blade altogether and use it as a sort of quarterstaff. Wear an actual pot (assuming for whatever reason you have an iron pot in the first place) on your head and it's going to prove ineffective against many weapons and is also likely to be surprisingly tiring.

Indeed, but I didn't say improvised equipment wasn't a thing: I even mentioned the archaeological finds from the Battle of Visby which showed armour that had been modified from other objects. The important thing is that it was modified. Go into battle with an unmodified scythe and you'll be less effective that if you remove the blade altogether and use it as a sort of quarterstaff. Wear an actual pot (assuming for whatever reason you have an iron pot in the first place) on your head and it's going to prove ineffective against many weapons and is also likely to be surprisingly tiring.

You understand that taking a sword blow to your bare head is still a ton worse than taking a sword blow to your head through a cooking pot?  No one is saying it is "ideal", people are saying that there are many times in history where peasants had to do what they had to do.  Like I said, a peasant doesn't have a battle ready helmet in his drawers right beside his spare pants.

Also I did say Pot Lid in my original post, which is supposedly what all this spun off of.  So I wasn't talking about using cooking pots for helmets, I was talking about using the thick wooden lid of a large cooking pot as an improvised buckler.

Either way why not take this back on topic and discuss weird weapon ideas instead of debate what a peasant would or would not have done to get buy in the case of an armed conflict.

Bringing this thread to the real issue that has been discussed before: the idea that the larder door can be opened onto a pocket-plane larder and then occasionally during combat the door would spontaneously open as a cook from another world would lean through to shout at everyone to stop banging on his door.  Because that would be awesome.

• Like 5

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Whatever the case was in real world, I doubt anyone would want everything in the game as makeshift weapons or armour (pots, brooms, plates, buckets, planks etc). The game works with loot, it's not free for all.

Edited by Sedrefilos

people are saying that there are many times in history where peasants had to do what they had to do.

And I'm saying that I don't believe this is true. But you're right, it's off topic, so I'll leave it at that.

Also I did say Pot Lid in my original post, which is supposedly what all this spun off of.  So I wasn't talking about using cooking pots for helmets, I was talking about using the thick wooden lid of a large cooking pot as an improvised buckler.

Actually, I'll leave it at that after pointing out quickly that your exact words were '"pot lid" helmet', not "pot lid" buckler/shield.

On topic: has anyone suggested a harpoon?

Edited by JerekKruger

On topic: has anyone suggested a harpoon?

Whats the difference between a spear and a harpoon?

In all seriousness, given the setting, I could see some spears stylized as harpoons, but are functionally spears (or pikes, depending on size) ingame. Could possibly have an ability to mimic the effect of the backward facing prong harpoons generally have.

The whole larder door thing is just something slightly less than serious and a bit silly. It doesn't have to be 100% serious all the time.

Edited by smjjames

Whats the difference between a spear and a harpoon?

A harpoon usually has a rope or chain attached to the butt end to "reel in" the catch.

A harpoon also has a hook on the end of it.

It was a rhetorical question guys, lol. I know what the difference is between a spear and a harpoon, I meant like, whats the functional difference, which isn't much, since you stab something with one end.

Although, given that we have sickles now, we might have a harpoon class weapon on it's own, independent from spears and pikes.

Edited by smjjames
  • Like 1

It was a rhetorical question guys, lol. I know what the difference is between a spear and a harpoon, I meant like, whats the functional difference, which isn't much, since you stab something with one end.

Well harpoons are supposed to get stuck, you don't really want a spear to get stuck.

Honestly though, the same could be said for most for a lot of the suggestions in this thread. What's the difference between an oar and a quarterstaff/club, or what's the difference between a cloak and a cloak made from an old sail etc. It's not so much coming up with completely new item types as coming up with weird versions of existing items (the larder door was, after all, just a large shield). So a harpoon would probably be a spear in game, but perhaps it would have a bonus versus sea monsters or something, and of course look like a harpoon rather than a spear.

• Like 1

War vs Fishing?

Well harpoons are supposed to get stuck, you don't really want a spear to get stuck.

Never mind, it wasn't even a serious question anyway.

Edited by smjjames