I think the best solution to the above, which is already being applied into Deadfire, is to not have every xaurip drop a spear when killed. In a way, randomized enemy drops makes it harder to properly gauge how much money one could make by the end of the game, but it also keeps that final number more in check opposite to having *every* creature of a kind drop the same loot.

I came to like the Dragon Age 2 approach of just calling the extra stuff "junk". They can just give us a pile of junk and let us sell it for some nominal sum.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I came to like the Dragon Age 2 approach of just calling the extra stuff "junk". They can just give us a pile of junk and let us sell it for some nominal sum.

- "I came here to sell my junk."

- "Sure, let me see your junk first."

Edited by Messier-31
  • Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Sorry, not possible in Deadfire because of likelihood of confusion.

All jokes aside, I like this approach as well. I prefer there to be some fluff to it though, like in Tyranny.

Edited by Regggler
  • Like 1

Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

Yes. Best approach. Problem with, say, Tyranny and their approach is that I didn't know the special category was for vendor trash. I thought it might have some use, so didn't sell any of it my first playthrough!

• Like 1

Didn't Pillars already kind of have that? There were things like pelts that could only be sold, I believe. They were just in the same section as all the books and notes, which whilst also can only be sold, I presume less people would want to.

All jokes aside, I like this approach as well. I prefer there to be some fluff to it though, like in Tyranny.

I can't believe you just made a joke about junk and then linked a ship ^^

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.

Okay, just call them "Sundry goods" then.

My issue with the "junk items" approach is that it feels easier to just cut out the middleman and give us more money.

Realistically speaking, I doubt any sensible adventuring party would carry around junk at all. Tiring yourself out by carrying junk is a great way to get killed in a setting where bandits and other on the road dangers are commonplace. Thus I think you're right, removing the junk items completely might end up improving the overall experience. I think overall PoE has way too much loot, and thus the feeling of getting loot has been inflated quite badly. Give the occasional potion, a few coins here and there and something else that is actually useful as loot, with the rare magical weapon or piece of armor every now and then, and I think that would be better than having floods of junk that doesn't serve any purpose beyond getting sold to an innkeeper.

• Like 1

My issue with the "junk items" approach is that it feels easier to just cut out the middleman and give us more money.

Basically the extra sundries you find adds to the immersion factor. Some players like that.

• Like 1

I guess I've never understood the immersive factor of selling stuff to people. I just want to get the gear I want with minimum hassle and without being on the mercy of loot placement - as long as I can afford it in terms of cash and game progress, of course. 

Edited by MortyTheGobbo

I guess I've never understood the immersive factor of selling stuff to people. I just want to get the gear I want with minimum hassle and without being on the mercy of loot placement - as long as I can afford it in terms of cash and game progress, of course.

It may seem like a little thing but once these elements start to become very simplistic it starts to make the game feel arcadish which destroys immersion. everything needs at least some level of depth to it.

Edited by DigitalCrack
  • Like 1

It may seem like a little thing but once these elements start to become very simplistic it starts to make the game feel arcadish which destroys immersion. everything needs at least some level of depth to it.

Now this is an important point: everything needs at least some level of real depth, the illusion of depth that is offered by so many games these days doesn't qualify. Many people mistake complexity for depth, but in order to really have depth you need multiple layers of game-play. A game economy that doesn't progress beyond "sell stuff to get money and use money to buy stuff" doesn't have real depth, neither does a system where money isn't scarce, as if you just have enough money to buy everything then things devolve even further into "click on the item you want and it'll be added to your inventory". Junk items that only exist to be sold at a vendor don't add depth; items that serve a purpose on their own but can still be sold to a vendor do. So a strong no for pure junk items from me, create real depth instead and have stuff be useful. Looting an avvar toy soldier or the right half of a lover's know does *not* enhance immersion, and I'm glad that junk items of that level were mostly absent from PoE.

• Like 2

perhaps you could add a toggle that allows you to mark items as junk. that way whenever you next encounter it it will get listed as such, and you can choose to exclude it from the listings of loot piles.

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

They could always make the sundry items convert directly into cash as you take it from the loot pile. I.e. it behaves like cash but has a different icon.