Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Let's talk merchants...

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4428 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

My issue with the "junk items" approach is that it feels easier to just cut out the middleman and give us more money.

Basically the extra sundries you find adds to the immersion factor. Some players like that.

• Regggler likes this

MortyTheGobbo

MortyTheGobbo

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 168 posts

I guess I've never understood the immersive factor of selling stuff to people. I just want to get the gear I want with minimum hassle and without being on the mercy of loot placement - as long as I can afford it in terms of cash and game progress, of course. 

Edited by MortyTheGobbo, 21 April 2017 - 04:42 PM.

DigitalCrack

DigitalCrack

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 254 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I guess I've never understood the immersive factor of selling stuff to people. I just want to get the gear I want with minimum hassle and without being on the mercy of loot placement - as long as I can afford it in terms of cash and game progress, of course.

It may seem like a little thing but once these elements start to become very simplistic it starts to make the game feel arcadish which destroys immersion. everything needs at least some level of depth to it.

Edited by DigitalCrack, 21 April 2017 - 05:51 PM.

• Regggler likes this

Ninjamestari

Ninjamestari

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 459 posts

It may seem like a little thing but once these elements start to become very simplistic it starts to make the game feel arcadish which destroys immersion. everything needs at least some level of depth to it.

Now this is an important point: everything needs at least some level of real depth, the illusion of depth that is offered by so many games these days doesn't qualify. Many people mistake complexity for depth, but in order to really have depth you need multiple layers of game-play. A game economy that doesn't progress beyond "sell stuff to get money and use money to buy stuff" doesn't have real depth, neither does a system where money isn't scarce, as if you just have enough money to buy everything then things devolve even further into "click on the item you want and it'll be added to your inventory". Junk items that only exist to be sold at a vendor don't add depth; items that serve a purpose on their own but can still be sold to a vendor do. So a strong no for pure junk items from me, create real depth instead and have stuff be useful. Looting an avvar toy soldier or the right half of a lover's know does *not* enhance immersion, and I'm glad that junk items of that level were mostly absent from PoE.

• dukeisaac and Wormerine like this

JFSOCC

JFSOCC

Mentor & Student of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2251 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I came to like the Dragon Age 2 approach of just calling the extra stuff "junk". They can just give us a pile of junk and let us sell it for some nominal sum.

Sorry, not possible in Deadfire because of likelihood of confusion.

All jokes aside, I like this approach as well. I prefer there to be some fluff to it though, like in Tyranny.

perhaps you could add a toggle that allows you to mark items as junk. that way whenever you next encounter it it will get listed as such, and you can choose to exclude it from the listings of loot piles.

• Regggler likes this

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4428 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

They could always make the sundry items convert directly into cash as you take it from the loot pile. I.e. it behaves like cash but has a different icon.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users