NFL 2017-2018 Season

Bartimaeus

In recent news, the Packers have released Sam Shields, our once Pro Bowl-quality CB who's basically been out for the last two seasons because of concussions. He's basically the Wes Welker of CBs at this point with as many head injuries as he had...and like Wes Welker, he has indicated that he wants to continue to play against all given medical advice. I just hope that he's able to remember whom he is by the time he's 40. ;(

P.S. My first ever thread after having been registered here for nearly ten years - neato! ...Aaand it's about stupid football... :p

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 13

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

That's the way football goes, sadly. They either sacrifice some of their salary for more guaranteed money, or they take more money for less guaranteed.

On a side-note, he was also arrested for marijuana possession just a couple of months ago, which didn't help his chances of staying on the roster...and it won't help his chances of getting signed elsewhere, seeing as he'll be suspended for at least a couple of games. He also has never played a full season during his 7-year long career...it's not like they got rid of him as soon as he was injured. At least this gives him a lot of time to try to catch on to a different team if he's truly determined about it...which I hope he isn't, for his own sake.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Id like to see Dallas lean heavily into defence this draft. Rod Marinelli (DC) has been punching above his weight class for years with a ragtag DL and Id be interested to see if a few new beasts on defence would push Dallas over the top. Their 2nd round pick Jaylon Smith sat out 2016 but the nerve in his knee is supposedly starting to refire and he's released a couple videos showing himself running and cutting. If he can regain even a semblance of his former self then that should really help the too.

• 4 weeks later...

Free agency starts tomorrow! I am really excited for my team to do...absolutely nothing! :p

I could eat my words here eventually, but I think Romo may not be quite as fragile as you might think. How often do QBs break their back? ...I guess since Romo's broken it twice, it seems more likely for him than for others, evidently, but still. I think he'll be O.K.

I dunno. I agree that his injury proneness is exaggerated but when's the last time he played the whole season? And he's not getting any younger. If we pick him up then I hope I'm wrong about him because I don't think he's a bad QB by any means, his stats are good, but he's never really had any post season success either. 

And how does he play in the cold? It gets pretty bad here in the tail end of the season

Free games updated 3/4/21

2014, when he received MVP votes. Unsure about his level of play in the cold.

In regards to the playoffs, Romo has the 4th highest career playoffs passer rating of all time. They haven't really lost playoff games because of him, botched snap notwithstanding.

Edited by Bartimaeus

from a football pov, it is a mistake to release romo. sophomore slumps for rb and qb positions is more the norm than the exception. once teams have actual nfl film to study in depth, flaws o' rookies is frequent exposed. cowboy fans could be in for a rude awakening at the qb position.  with the cowboys ol, we don't have much concern regarding elliot on-the-field, but off-field issues wouldn't surprise us. for cowboys fans who believe their rb and qb problems is over, we would advise caution. sure, as shady observes, romo seems like mr. glass from the m. night shyamalan movie, but he is still was an upper echelon qb, and can be in limited situations.  the broncos, and most other teams in desperate need o' a qb, is a bad fit for a guy like romo.  even so, we would be shocked if at some point during the 2017 season, cowboy fans weren't lamenting the loss o' romo.

'course personnel decisions is not always as simple as Xs and Os calculus. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

from a football pov, it is a mistake to release romo. sophomore slumps for rb and qb positions is more the norm than the exception. once teams have actual nfl film to study in depth, flaws o' rookies is frequent exposed. cowboy fans could be in for a rude awakening at the qb position.  with the cowboys ol, we don't have much concern regarding elliot on-the-field, but off-field issues wouldn't surprise us. for cowboys fans who believe their rb and qb problems is over, we would advise caution. sure, as shady observes, romo seems like mr. glass from the m. night shyamalan movie, but he is still was an upper echelon qb, and can be in limited situations.  the broncos, and most other teams in desperate need o' a qb, is a bad fit for a guy like romo.  even so, we would be shocked if at some point during the 2017 season, cowboy fans weren't lamenting the loss o' romo.

HA! Good Fun!

If Prescott does have a slump the worst thing they could do is bench him. Confidence is a fragile thing even in pro athletes. Best thing would be to let him work through it. He's either their QB or he isn't.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

HA! Good Fun!

If Prescott does have a slump the worst thing they could do is bench him. Confidence is a fragile thing even in pro athletes. Best thing would be to let him work through it. He's either their QB or he isn't.

perhaps, but there is good reason prescott slipped in the draft as he has accuracy issues.  last season he had the advantage o' playing behind the best ol in pro football, and elliot had a fantastic rookie campaign at rb, but prescott is fundamental flawed, and accuracy is typical viewed as a fatal flaw.  

there has been more than a few qbs who excelled in spite o' flaws.  has even been hof qbs who were improbable.  'course such a bet ain't for the smart money.

no doubt dumping romo is a show o' confidence in prescott and we get the psychological angle.  even so, am not convinced it is a smart football move. time will tell, eh? 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Can't think it's likely to happen. Other teams know the Cowboys are planning to release him almost definitely, and a trade means being stuck with his contract. Not that he's necessarily not worth his contract, but neither the Broncos or Texans (the "contenders" he likely wants to go to) will be able to afford it. So...

Welp, maybe now the Texans might trade for him.

Now this is something. The Texans trade Orsweiler to the Browns and had to throw in a 2nd round pick to pay them to take out the trash. All the Texans got in return was to swap comp picks. And of course they got rid of a problem.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Very NBA-esque.

• Like 1

Huh, the Packers signed somebody kinda major. Fancy that.