Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update 3.02 Beta is Live

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

ruzen

ruzen

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

" ...sent off?...beautification?" photo.jpg?sz=50

call me paranoid but for a second, that sound like a nazi gas chamber

Edited by ruzen, 16 March 2016 - 01:09 PM.

Aurelio

Aurelio

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 284 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Well, I guess some of you guys have never seen some programmers bug fix notes.

To correlate that to specific bugs and make human readable patch notes out of it is not that easy.

E.g.:

- fix a few signed integer left-shifts

- fix uninitialized variable

- fix unaligned access

This could have been changes which all fixed a bug with annihilation...

• Suen and Elric Galad like this

house2fly

house2fly

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 254 posts

Personally, I'm curious if there's any rough estimate on when the devs think that 3.02 will go live.  This week?  Next week?  The week after that?

Let's at least get the patch notes first, then we can ask when it'll go live.

Crucis

Crucis

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1210 posts

Personally, I'm curious if there's any rough estimate on when the devs think that 3.02 will go live.  This week?  Next week?  The week after that?

Personally, I'm more concerned with the release date than the patch notes.  Patch notes do little for me now (because I'm not playing the beta version, so I don't really care all that much about knowing what's in the update to compare with how it performs).  Having some sense of when the patch goes live is of more interest and value to me.

Edited by Crucis, 16 March 2016 - 03:13 PM.

• Blunderboss likes this

Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 155 posts

It's in beta, there will likely be more smaller changes/patches before it is released as a stable update (To fix obvious/major issues that were introduced). Having patch notes helps direct people towards what to test and is also, in general, just interesting to read if their well written.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 16 March 2016 - 10:16 PM.

Marceror

Marceror

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1339 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Personally, I'm more concerned with the release date than the patch notes.  Patch notes do little for me now (because I'm not playing the beta version, so I don't really care all that much about knowing what's in the update to compare with how it performs).  Having some sense of when the patch goes live is of more interest and value to me.

Yeah, well in order to derive reasonable value out of the beta process, pretty sure folks need to know what to look for. Patch notes are pretty key for that.

So, you should care about the patch notes at least in so far as they are a key dependency in completing a successful beta test. And this will directly play into when the patch goes fully live.

Edited by Marceror, 16 March 2016 - 10:38 PM.

Anaeme

Anaeme

Eminence of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 212 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Very disappointing that someone at Obsidian is not taking the release of patch notes seriously 

The delay is ridiculous

Messier-31

Messier-31

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1615 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Sweet mother of mercy, the patch notes will be released when they're ready.

• Achilles, Suen and Abel like this

ktrainer2885

ktrainer2885

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Heck, I'm doing documentation at my job right now. It is not fun, and can be time consuming. I agree that patch notes are essential to test out the new patch, but since it is a beta, and not the live version, I think we can wait a bit longer. 

• Suen likes this

Ripley Riley

Ripley Riley

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Steam:Ripley Riley
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

On the one hand, I am pretty stoked to see a patch with 400-ish fixes. On the other hand, it is pretty annoying that we can't seem to get a solid date on when to expect the notes...

Brimsurfer

Brimsurfer

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 408 posts

I thought that the notes were coming out yesterday it was mentioned by one of the Devs above, still can't find them anywhere.........

Edited by Brimsurfer, 17 March 2016 - 05:01 AM.

Achilles

Achilles

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1398 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

In a parallel universe, looking very similar to this one, the community posts in outrage over open bugs while Obsidian sits on a patch due to unfinished release notes.

It must be nice, wanting to have it both ways. 

• ruzen and lantzk like this

Crucis

Crucis

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1210 posts

Yeah, well in order to derive reasonable value out of the beta process, pretty sure folks need to know what to look for. Patch notes are pretty key for that.

So, you should care about the patch notes at least in so far as they are a key dependency in completing a successful beta test. And this will directly play into when the patch goes fully live.

I made it plain that I haven't DL'd the beta and will not.  So I do not care about the patch notes for the beta because they don't matter to ME.  I understand that for someone participating in the beta they matter.  But I'm not. 

I'll care about patch notes when the patch goes live and not before.  Get that thru your head.

• Blades of Vanatar likes this

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3185 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'll care about patch notes when the patch goes live and not before.  Get that thru your head.

Was there really a need for rudeness, though?

His point was merely that patch notes would assist in getting the patch out sooner.

• Luzeryn likes this

MaxQuest

MaxQuest

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1134 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Well, I guess some of you guys have never seen some programmers bug fix notes.

To correlate that to specific bugs and make human readable patch notes out of it is not that easy.

E.g.:

- fix a few signed integer left-shifts
- fix uninitialized variable
- fix unaligned access

This could have been changes which all fixed a bug with annihilation...

Hmm. It depends...
No one is asking for the list of messages from the commit history/log, but for the task titles from the bug list itself, which in my experience usually do have 'human-readable' titles.
In case of PoE, I would expect entry titles like: "Check/Fix anihilation enchant property", "Yenwood battle: Remove crowd infront of Caed Nua after the battle itself", and so on.
(each entry besides title, also having task_id, priority, status, assignees, description and so on.)
Just filter by status completed, export then proof-read/rephrase/beautify. Rephrasing can be somewhat time-consuming. But since Obsidian has also to translate the notes, I imagine this one to be the longest phase.

Marceror

Marceror

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1339 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I made it plain that I haven't DL'd the beta and will not.  So I do not care about the patch notes for the beta because they don't matter to ME.  I understand that for someone participating in the beta they matter.  But I'm not. 

What you choose to care about or not care about is entirely up to you.

I was just calling out the cause-effect relationship that impacts something you claimed to care about. It's totally your prerogative to ignore such bigger picture details and myopically focus the details that suit your fancy. The reality is it really makes no difference to me. Have a nice day.

• Blades of Vanatar and Luzeryn like this

Noxar

Noxar

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 3 posts

So are the patch notes coming next monday or after easter? :)

Blunderboss

Blunderboss

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 309 posts
I hope to see patch notes soon together with announcement of when 3.02 is going live , lets keep fingers crossed !

Xaratas

Xaratas

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 648 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

… But since Obsidian has also to translate the notes, I imagine this one to be the longest phase.

Translated patchnotes? Where did you found that?

MaxQuest

MaxQuest

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1134 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Translated patchnotes? Where did you found that?

From this very thread?

Aarik and I finished translating the list yesterday. It has been sent off to our producer for beautification. We hope to get it out later today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users