Hi!

Now - with the 3.0 beta patch and some of it's changes (multi class talents 1/encounter, new items, survival buffs etc) I would really like to do some nice (and maybe weird) builds with the official companions. For example Pallegina could be build into a nice gun firing, missile throwing dps/support char now. Two FoD shots with haste, Wrath of the Five Suns, Prestidigitator's Missiles, Penetrating Shot and so on...

I really like the multiclass talents now. For example Aspirant's Mark is really good.

Do you have some nice ideas for companion builds?

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

The problem is that other companions are far less unique (except Devil of Caroc).

So the build that could be found are also applicable to hirelings or PC.

The question is more : which known builds could also work with companions ? 

They have additional constraints, (Stats, race and level 1 power) but no additional benefits. 

Fetid caress cast on an ennemy engaged by Devil is an okay combo because as a vessel she's immune to Sickened. No other Companion-specific ideas :-)

Well the devil is a construct an thus has the immunities of a construct for example (poison? Sickened?). You could build something around this. For example you could use the Devil as bait and then unleash a ton of poison spells on top of her while the mob attacks her. Don't know if this works, just an idea.

Edit: Oops - I somehow skipped that part of your post - sorry! :(

But yeah - which build works with the companions could also be the question. For example Sagani can be build into a lot of ranger variants since most of them don't rely on minmaxed stats or a special animal comp. I also thin that Durance can easily be build into AndreaColombos support priest and Zahua can be the Juggernaut monk.

But since there a lot of 1/encounter talents now that everybody can use - maybe there are some ideas how to build unusual companions. For example a shapeshifted Hiravas with Outlander's Frenzy sounds fun.

Edited by Boeroer

Kana is generaly built as a gunner, yes?

Well, if there is no Ranger or Cipher in your party, you could give him outlander's frenzy, some ranged talents and perhaps Prestidigitator's Missiles to make him into a decent backline supporter that zaps foes with Stormcaller while frenzied and kills casters with Missiles of various kinds with penetrating shot.

Edited by DreamWayfarer

Give Outlander's Frenzy to Aloth.

I'm pretty Deleterious Alacrity of Motion supresses it, but it does fit with his character though, am I right?

:lol: Well, that also leaves you free to choose something other than Alacrity as a per-encounter, doesn't it? At least if you are a spellsword or implement user, since I don't think it speeds up casting. Effective and immersive.

Give Outlander's Frenzy to Aloth.

I'm pretty Deleterious Alacrity of Motion supresses it, but it does fit with his character though, am I right?

:lol: Well, that also leaves you free to choose something other than Alacrity as a per-encounter, doesn't it? At least if you are a spellsword or implement user, since I don't think it speeds up casting. Effective and immersive.

Outlander's Frenzy does work with spells, though I'm sure Iselmyr would prefer a good weapon instead.

Anyone kbow why Outlander's frenzy is still one per-rest? Really ruined an idea I had...

Sanguine Plate is also a good source of Frenzy, to the point I even use it on my PotD barbarian adventurer. 

Does outlander's frenzy work with the berserker belt?

The other problem with companion builds is making sure they don't overlap too much. For example, typically I give Kana the Sure-Handed Ila phrase, and I build Sagani with swift aim. But those no longer stack . . .

Does outlander's frenzy work with the berserker belt?

The other problem with companion builds is making sure they don't overlap too much. For example, typically I give Kana the Sure-Handed Ila phrase, and I build Sagani with swift aim. But those no longer stack . . .

The Berserker Belt can only be worn by Barbarians, so no, it doesn't work with Outlander's Frenzy.

If you use Kana and Sagani in the same party, just give Sagani Vicious Aim instead, and swap it out for Twinned Arrows once you hit 13.

Anyone kbow why Outlander's frenzy is still one per-rest? Really ruined an idea I had...

I think it's just a bug. It would make that talent so inferior to the other ones. If they intend to make it per rest it should have more uses per rest. Josh said a while ago on SA that all cross class talents will become 1/encounter.

Now - with the 3.0 beta patch and some of it's changes (multi class talents 1/encounter, new items, survival buffs etc) I would really like to do some nice (and maybe weird) builds with the official companions. For example Pallegina could be build into a nice gun firing, missile throwing dps/support char now. Two FoD shots with haste, Wrath of the Five Suns, Prestidigitator's Missiles, Penetrating Shot and so on...

Well, isn't ranged paladin the most effective way to play the class? :)

I mean, paladin requires high intellect for auras and exhortation durations;  high might for FoD and Lay on Hands. Decent perception and hard hitting weapon, again to benefit FoD the most (and what hits harder than arquebuss/arbalest? the latter can also turn his targets prone and it will do it pretty often).

Add there Sworn Enemy and Runner's Wounding Shot, and we get a solid mid-ranged DPS, which also brings heals and utility. Not to mention that putting paladin in the middle, makes it easier to cover whole party with auras, and also potentially avoid those disengagement attacks when there is need to run to LoH somebody.

Min-maxed custom NPC, or Pallegina with those new abilities, could bring a lot to the party.

No - not a squish. That would work well. Chanters have a quite good base deflection. In fact my chanter tankish build ("Drake's Ambassador") also only has 10 RES and is sturdy enough.

I call bug. Modals and spells normally stack, so I would raise this to the devs.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Modals and spell don't stack usually.

Cautious attack don't stack with any deflection buff spells.

Paladin modals don't stack with priest armor of faith and blessing (that's why they added graze to hit/hit to graze effects).

Even rogue reckless assault melee accuracy buff doesn't stack with devotion of the faithful one.

This is not a bug, dudes.

I don't say it is a wise design choice by the way.

• Like 1

You're right; my bad.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

It's just that it used to work and was not OP. So why nerf it? However - we will soon know if it's intended or not. Normally Aarik responds very quickly. Let's thank him for that! :)

• Like 1