Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Patch Betas on Steam

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

Flow

Flow

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 378 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Here is an interesting observation. I don't have the beta option for my version. The only beta option listed on the beta tab is "none"

I have the "Royal Edition" installed. Core OS is Windows 7 x64 Pro

How can I start using and testing with the beta builds?

Step 5.

You probably haven't entered the password.

Edited by Flow, 11 April 2015 - 10:24 PM.

draek

draek

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Beta testing will probably be possible in the future when GoG Galaxy is released.

Right now its still in alpha.

http://www.gog.com/galaxy

Edited by draek, 11 April 2015 - 10:59 PM.

Evange

Evange

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 187 posts

Any idea when will 1.04 be officially released???

lightblade75

lightblade75

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

So does any of you have any idea how many days a new patch will take to be in the game and not beta anymore? Do you think this open beta patch thing does speed up things?

PrimeJunta

PrimeJunta

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4881 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

My guess based on past patterns: they wanted to release it on Friday but the build didn't pass QA. Then weekend happened. I would expect it Real Soon Now, with 1.05 not too far behind.

danielkx

danielkx

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

1.04 probably before Wednesday would be my guess.

1.05 around the end of the month/first week of May. They said 1.05 is a big patch so I imagine it will take longer to do as well as taking more time to go through QA since it will be a large patch.

1.03 was released on April 3rd I believe, 1.04 will be a good 10+ days after that one and since 1.04 isn't that big of a patch it stands to reason that 1.05 being significantly larger will take more time.

DragonDai

DragonDai

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer

They have already started talking about 1.5? Links to these posts?

danielkx

danielkx

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
They have been talking about it for a while, you can do a search for it.

They specifically said 1.05 will be a big patch with some balance changes and that they've been listening to the community specifically about balance.

Lord Vicious

Lord Vicious

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 65 posts

They specifically said 1.05 will be a big patch with some balance changes and that they've been listening to the community specifically about balance.

Past experience tells me when they say "balance changes" they mean "nerfs galore".

Rather than crippling existing characters, which people have invested time and effort in (including PotD, Iron mode etc.), by ruining their abilities that are somehow "imbalanced" (in a single-player game, yeah right), how about buffing classes that are currently made of suck and plainly uninspiring (looking at you, paladin)?

TL;DR: instead of weakening good classes, how about strengthening bad classes? That way everyone wins!

Edited by Lord Vicious, 13 April 2015 - 12:23 AM.

Cluas

Cluas

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • Steam:Cluascorp

They have already started talking about 1.5? Links to these posts?

It was the patch notes for 1.04, where Darren mentioned it...:
"The team is now working on patch 1.05, and only critical fixes will be added to 1.04..." 

And then there is this article:
http://www.shacknews...first-expansion

A cool interview with Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart : )

Telmorial

Telmorial

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 92 posts

Any chance we can see tentative patch notes for 1.5? I'm really hoping it includes improvements to the AI to make the game more challenging and more varied battles (most fights are a bit samey for me now, no surprises from the enemies, nothing to force me to change tactics). Plus improved itemization would be nice.

Luckmann

Luckmann

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3494 posts

Past experience tells me when they say "balance changes" they mean "nerfs galore".

Rather than crippling existing characters, which people have invested time and effort in (including PotD, Iron mode etc.), by ruining their abilities that are somehow "imbalanced" (in a single-player game, yeah right), how about buffing classes that are currently made of suck and plainly uninspiring (looking at you, paladin)?

TL;DR: instead of weakening good classes, how about strengthening bad classes? That way everyone wins!

I agree with the general sentiment of buffing bad classes rather than nerfing good ones, but why is it illegitimate to balance in one way, based on the argument that it doesn't need balancing in a single-player game, yet legitimate to balance in another? Your argument makes no sense. If you said that balance didn't matter at all in a single-player game, you'd have a point - I'd disagree and argue against that point, but it'd be there - but first suggesting that imbalance isn't a thing in a single-player game and then call on balancing is nonsense.

Any chance we can see tentative patch notes for 1.5? I'm really hoping it includes improvements to the AI to make the game more challenging and more varied battles (most fights are a bit samey for me now, no surprises from the enemies, nothing to force me to change tactics). Plus improved itemization would be nice.

1.04 isn't even released yet, so I would not hold my breath for anything even resembling solid information on 1.05 until after 1.04 has hit, and even then it'll probably take a few days at least. I doubt AI improvements would really help you in the "combat is samey"-department, though. Yes, the AI should be smarter, but the samey thing is systemic.

Telmorial

Telmorial

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 92 posts

I agree with the general sentiment of buffing bad classes rather than nerfing good ones, but why is it illegitimate to balance in one way, based on the argument that it doesn't need balancing in a single-player game, yet legitimate to balance in another? Your argument makes no sense. If you said that balance didn't matter at all in a single-player game, you'd have a point - I'd disagree and argue against that point, but it'd be there - but first suggesting that imbalance isn't a thing in a single-player game and then call on balancing is nonsense.

1.04 isn't even released yet, so I would not hold my breath for anything even resembling solid information on 1.05 until after 1.04 has hit, and even then it'll probably take a few days at least. I doubt AI improvements would really help you in the "combat is samey"-department, though. Yes, the AI should be smarter, but the samey thing is systemic.

My line of thinking was better AI may mean more surprises for us. EG. Suddenly all the enemy ranged (archers and mage) target my Wizard, making me have to change tactics quickly, making combat more interesting. But I do get what you mean re systemic and agree. I really do miss the epic mage duels from BG2, fantastic fun :)

Beovuk

Beovuk

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts

I think you missed his point entirely.. and he makes a good one. Instead of nitpicking what he said in parentheses, please read his post again and try to take it in context.

Instead of nerfing classes, buff the weak ones. This can work for singleplayer games, since it's only YOU playing and other people playing other classes will not care as much as in multiplayer games (see guildwars 2 forum flooded at the moment with turret engineer nerf posts and everyone calling for a nerf except people playing a turret engineer). How many people are calling for class nerfs in singleplayer game forums? Sorry if I made this sound too simplistic, but this way it can be understood.

Most importantly with 50+ hours in your character will not be gimped all of a sudden (especially in POTD).

So I wholeheartedly agree that this approach is better. Don't nerf classes, buff the weak ones.

Luckmann

Luckmann

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3494 posts

I think you missed his point entirely.. and he makes a good one. Instead of nitpicking what he said in parentheses, please read his post again and try to take it in context.

Instead of nerfing classes, buff the weak ones. This can work for singleplayer games, since it's only YOU playing and other people playing other classes will not care as much as in multiplayer games (see guildwars 2 forum flooded at the moment with turret engineer nerf posts and everyone calling for a nerf except people playing a turret engineer). How many people are calling for class nerfs in singleplayer game forums? Sorry if I made this sound too simplistic, but this way it can be understood.

Most importantly with 50+ hours in your character will not be gimped all of a sudden (especially in POTD).

So I wholeheartedly agree that this approach is better. Don't nerf classes, buff the weak ones.

I didn't miss his point, I agree with the conclusion. I questioned the logic, because there was none.

You'd know that if you had read my post.

Beovuk

Beovuk

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts

I didn't miss his point, I agree with the conclusion. I questioned the logic, because there was none.

You'd know that if you had read my post.

-edit for context

In multiplayer if a class is OP in PvE / PvP - thats it. Time to go to the forums and call for a nerf unless you are the one playing that class.

For singleplayer - if your class is OP you can just bump up the difficulty slider for PvE if thats what you want to do. There is no PvP. People will go to the forums and just shrug that you're playing an OP class but they will not rage and demand your class is nerfed. Because your gameplay is not affecting them they don't care.

So when a developer nerfs your class in singleplayer = you will be unsatisfied. People that play other classes will not care.

When a developer nerfs your class in multiplayer = you will be unsatisfied. All other people will be satisfied.

Buffing weak classes in singleplayer = everybody is satisfied.

Fueled by multiplayer it's an industry standard to nerf classes soon as they are viewed as OP - with plethora of class balance updates which increase chances of making things worse instead. The solution here is simple - you could treat single player class balance differently then multiplayer and get more customer satisfaction in the process. They are different beasts and should be treated as such, especially when there is much to gain for both developers and customers (not to go into other factors that support this separation further like multiplayer characters being by design never ending, immersion, content/replayability and differences in support lifespan..)

So..now with that in context "Instead of nerfing classes, buff the weak ones." - I say yes. Oh our obsidian overlords, yes.

Edited by Beovuk, 13 April 2015 - 02:01 PM.

Lord Vicious

Lord Vicious

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 65 posts

Just to reiterate the already eloquently exposed "point" which you so sorely missed:

Single-player game is not the same as multi-player game.

For instance:

1. What other players do in their games does not affect your gameplay in single-player, as opposed to multi-player;

2. In multi-player you play 1 character; in party-based single-player you play several characters at the same time (up to 6 in PoE).

Therefore, nerfing classes in single-player only frustrates people playing those classes, without any corresponding benefit for people playing other classes. In fact, these other people are also negatively affected, because the nerfed classes may include their favourite NPCs/adventurers.

However, buffing "weak" classes (as opposed to nerfing "strong" ones) has a tangible benefit of not only satisfying people currently playing these classes, but also making the classes more attractive to other players that might want to try them out (at least by including an NPC in their party).

In short

Multi-player nerfs: win-lose

Single-player nerfs: lose-lose

Single-player buffs: win-win

Edited by Lord Vicious, 13 April 2015 - 12:44 PM.

• Beovuk and knownastherat like this

BAdler

BAdler

Lead Designer

• Developers+
  • -9930 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer

We are looking into releasing it tomorrow, but it may not go out until Wednesday or Thursday.

physicalist

physicalist

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Therefore, nerfing classes in single-player only frustrates people playing those classes, without any corresponding benefit for people playing other classes. In fact, these other people are also negatively affected, because the nerfed classes may include their favourite NPCs/adventurers.

Not necessarily. If the game is too easy for you on highest difficulty settings because you picked the wrong class then you will welcome a nerf.

• Matt516 likes this

VaultDuke

VaultDuke

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 38 posts

In short

Multi-player nerfs: win-lose

Single-player nerfs: lose-lose

Single-player buffs: win-win

I'm not sure I would call a SP nerf a lose/lose and a buff a win/win. numbers creep is a serious issue for any game, that wants to expand or maybe become a series at some point (with the potential to take your old save games with you e.g.). so I'd rather prefer a singular nerf to an op/out-of-balance class or ability, than a system wide +1 to anybody else.

• ImRhoven and Matt516 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users