What you having for dinner tonight?

Tale

Chicken liver is for catfishing. ;)

...chicken hearts and liver can be pretty tasty. I still preferred beef liver's tho, if made right (they can get way too dry, easily).

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

What?  The absolute best part of roasting a whole chicken is tossing the liver in a ramekin with a little oil, salt, and pepper (and, if you're feeling fancy, a tiny splash of sherry vinegar) to cook for the first 10 minutes you've got the bird in the oven, then eating all of it yourself on ritz crackers as an appetizer while still standing in the kitchen!

(I do literally this, like, every other weekend.  Except when they screw me over by not having a liver among the extra parts that come in the chicken.) 

I've never figured out anything decent to do with the heart or gizzard, though.

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 1

What?  The absolute best part of roasting a whole chicken is tossing the liver in a ramekin with a little oil, salt, and pepper (and, if you're feeling fancy, a tiny splash of sherry vinegar) to cook for the first 10 minutes you've got the bird in the oven, then eating all of it yourself on ritz crackers as an appetizer while still standing in the kitchen!

(I do literally this, like, every other weekend.  Except when they screw me over by not having a liver among the extra parts that come in the chicken.) 

I've never figured out anything decent to do with the heart or gizzard, though.

" eating it all yourself " , thats exactly the type of thing Nigel Slater would say. He is my favorite UK celebrity chef 

I like the way you think  :thumbsup:  in South Africa most of the chickens you buy have these insides removed which just seems  like such a waste. So we have to buy organs like heart and liver separately 

Gizzards I eat the way the Portuguese eat them or at least how I have been served them, you fry them in butter ( use some olive oil so the butter doesn't burn ) and garlic and serve them with a peri-peri dipping sauce and some crusty bread 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Which reminds me that tonight is Tacos Tuesday at my local taqueria! Mmm...carnitas....

we chose to do tacos thursday instead o' tuesday... and we made carnitas de pato 'cause o' the following reasons:

1) Gromnir likes duck

2) Gromnir were running outta duck fat and we needed a duck recipe/excuse to replenish our supply.

braise the duck (3-4 lbs o' legs... or when lazy, just quarter a whole duck) in a dutch oven for a few hours with a fine chopped white onion, juice and remains o' an orange or two, garlic head halved and whatever mexican spices appeal to you.  is best to do this as a 2 day thing as half o' our motivation is collection o' duck fat and that is best done with an overnight cooling.  eventual we collect our duck fat, strain out solids from liquid, and discard skin and bones. shred meat.  add a little o' our precious duck fat to a cast iron skillet, set over medium-high heat and then cook duck til is nice and crispy.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Which reminds me that tonight is Tacos Tuesday at my local taqueria! Mmm...carnitas....

we chose to do tacos thursday instead o' tuesday... and we made carnitas de pato 'cause o' the following reasons:

1) Gromnir likes duck

2) Gromnir were running outta duck fat and we needed a duck recipe/excuse to replenish our supply.

braise the duck (3-4 lbs o' legs... or when lazy, just quarter a whole duck) in a dutch oven for a few hours with a fine chopped white onion, juice and remains o' an orange or two, garlic head halved and whatever mexican spices appeal to you.  is best to do this as a 2 day thing as half o' our motivation is collection o' duck fat and that is best done with an overnight cooling.  eventual we collect our duck fat, strain out solids from liquid, and discard skin and bones. shred meat.  add a little o' our precious duck fat to a cast iron skillet, set over medium-high heat and then cook duck til is nice and crispy.

HA! Good Fun!

Sounds very tasty Gromnir, when are you going to invite me to dinner? I can make myself available at very short notice to eat good food  :yes:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Speaking of duck, we had duck rillettes for dinner along with some steak tartare, a salad, and a shared cup of onion soup. I also had a few oysters but my wife doesn't like them so it was all on me.

Oysters, another one of my favorite indulgences. I eat them simply, lemon juice  and a drop of Tabasco 

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 1

John Milton 

I like them with lemon and mignonette

I have never had that mignonette sauce before. I looked it up, it sounds perfect for oysters.  I learnt something new :)

• Like 1

John Milton 

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Holy Smoke, thats definitely an esoteric kitchen appliance. I imagine only your hardcore duck  lovers would invest it and be prepared to pay that price 

John Milton 

It may actually be cheaper to book a flight to Paris to have dinner at Tour d'Argent and order Canard a la Presse. 

or not....

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

My throat is still messing with me and I feel dead tired. Sent my brother to the closest burger joint and that's what we ate. Burger with onion, salad, tomato and cheese with some tasty dressing each and we also shared some McNuggets.

Edited by Labadal

It may actually be cheaper to book a flight to Paris to have dinner at Tour d'Argent and order Canard a la Presse. 

or not....

I wish I could say I prefer Nice, with apertifs in Monte Carlo afterward. Speaking of whom, where is that guy. 

Tonight is pepperoni Friday. 

All Stop. On Screen.

am wondering if the french have some weird national sadism insofar as ducks is concerned. 'tween duck press and foie gras, one cannot help but imagine what ducks ever did to the french to deserve such treatment.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

oops, not pepperoni, Mongolian beef. Some veggies. Happy sauce, in the 6.4% range. Superbowl weekend is my favorite. 

Incidentally, when it says use large skillet, nine inches is not big enough, which is the first time I've ever heard that complaint. It's more like 9.5" anyway. 

Edited by ManifestedISO
  • Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

Cooked up a flank steak and ate fajitas. Turned out pretty well, but I wish I could find some decent chipotle peppers to make a good sauce.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

am wondering if the french have some weird national sadism insofar as ducks is concerned. 'tween duck press and foie gras, one cannot help but imagine what ducks ever did to the french to deserve such treatment.

HA! Good Fun!

Maybe the French are really big Goofy fans?

donaldduckyoujerk.jpg

• Like 3

Pho for dinner

That's my default weekend late breakfast or feeling hungry and no food in the house meal.

...sweet succulent tendons....

It's still the holidays, Super Sunday is like Christmas in February, so for elevensies it's hot cereal a la Malt O' Meal, sourdough toast, glass of milk, some happy thoughts. 

Threw some diced pear in with the cereal. I chose ... wisely. 

Edited by ManifestedISO
  • Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.