RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

CoM_Solaufein

hey are supposed to be similar to the Clone Wars style.

Tartakovsky's Clone Wars are much better style wise, if there was a stylized SW game like that, I'd play it to death

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I'm not the target audience for TOR. I loved KoToR series, but I don't get games I continually have to pay to play (unless TOR is free...I hadn't heard that though), and don't enjoy MMORPGs (at least none of them that I've tried thus far). The only one that you even seem to MAYBE make a difference in the game is EVE...all others, you go kill bad guy, bad guy is there 5 minutes later for another group to kill...doesn't really flow well with me...so not my type of game.

I know I'm not getting it.

However, I suppose the WoW guys would be a better indicator of how popular the game may or may not be.

Apparently the solo part is fairly massive, 100 hours or so for each class.

Well I hope it turns out good, but you can't help but have the grind fear... Hell even the SP stuff like DA2 has gone in that MMO grindy direction.

Bioware, why hath thou forsaken us?

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

99% of RPGs are grindy. This is NOT a new trend. Many of the beloved 'classics' of the early to mid 90s were ALL about the grind.

True but the difference between regular grinding and MMO grinding its that with regular the rewards are evenly planned. With MMOs is all about the gear it to win it or some other scam.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

99% of RPGs are grindy. This is NOT a new trend. Many of the beloved 'classics' of the early to mid 90s were ALL about the grind.

Any game that has been a thread bare grind has tended towards sucky.

"Collect 10 rabbit ears!" Is crap, its always been crap - atleast try and make it less crap eh!

Hell, I can go back to the 80's and see the grind in RPG's, but it never quite feels like a grind in that MMO sense. The Bards Tale series was nothing but a massive grind, but it was great because death means something in that game, hell getting past lvl 1 is an achievement in and of itself.

There's something about the tone of the MMO grind I've always disliked, leveling up for the sake of it, I suppose you can point at alot of 90's RPG's that were like this, but the style of play never really felt quite so empty to me.

Which leads me to the thought, I think you'll find that most of these games are nothing like the shabby MMO grind, and there was genuine quality, which were certainly a pre-cursor to some of the early 2000's RPG's.

Regardless of history, the experience of say Ultima Underworld, Ultima 7, or Darklands for example is not all that much like WoW.

The most grindy games that I can think of belong to the Rogue timeline, the Diablo's of this world - They're true grinds of the SP RPG experience.

Regardless, I think people can distingush the difference in tone between the MMO grind, and the general RPG grind.

Or to be blunt, SP RPG's have to me been less about combat, and more about other aspects of gaming, character development or the rules etc... Where MMO's just seem to be very combat focused, and the style of play has always felt somewhat dull.

NWN's springs to mind as a game with an identity crysis, in some ways you can see the influence coming through from Everquest - and said MMO button pressy quickbar formula established initially I believe by Diablo, but it really is trying to hold onto its story based heritage. Dragon Age 2 I believe has successfully made this transition to SP MMO, with emphasis on story.

The reasons are all so very simple, for the same reason that CoD firmly dictates FPS control schemes on consoles, WoW dictates the RPG interface on PC based RPG's. I'm not certain that anyone has stumbled upon that CoD type formula for console RPG's - Although the Mass Effect series is bloody well trying with its GoW style of play.

Edited by Nightshape

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

The most grindy games that I can think of belong to the Rogue timeline, the Diablo's of this world - They're true grinds of the SP RPG experience.

The things you do to get your own Amulet of Yendor :sorcerer:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

True but the difference between regular grinding and MMO grinding its that with regular the rewards are evenly planned. With MMOs is all about the gear it to win it or some other scam.

There was nothing planned about DS3 rewards and that game was grindy as hell.

Apparently the solo part is fairly massive, 100 hours or so for each class.

Well I hope it turns out good, but you can't help but have the grind fear... Hell even the SP stuff like DA2 has gone in that MMO grindy direction.

Bioware, why hath thou forsaken us?

While I think that DAO was grindy, I saw nothing of the kind in DA2 :sorcerer:

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

What they're going to break each act into a game, or something like that ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The game wasn't split in 3. One main game + 2 expansions.

I've got a bridge to sell you.

I do remember very well the outcry when Blizz announced to have SC2 split into 3 games.

If Blizzard just said "Okay, listen, one main game + 2 expansions", people would have said "Oh that's cool".

But some people do get very sentimental about these little things.

What do you mean with delay fiasco? Blizzard never released on time.

Blizz: We'll try to release the game in 2009.

*SC2 delayed 'till 2010*

Fans: You sold out to Activision!/You lied to us! etc etc

I do remember very well the outcry when Blizz announced to have SC2 split into 3 games.

If Blizzard just said "Okay, listen, one main game + 2 expansions", people would have said "Oh that's cool".

No. They would still be pretty pissed off that their favourite faction's campaign was dumped into an expansion. But then again it's Blizzard. They have enough lemmings to buy anything they make, so they don't really have to care about some fan backlash.

Hate the living, love the dead.

When you work for bobby kotick and start releasing campaigns one at a time, it's not "expansions" we're talking about. :)

Also, kind of what Fluoride said.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I always chuckle when I hear that name (Kotick), since it means "kitten" in Russian.

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I always chuckle when I hear that name (Kotick), since it means "kitten" in Russian.

Now you made me to hate all kittens :'(

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours