Layoff hits Obsidian?

funcroc

is this the end?

is Obsidian closing?

no more good rpgs?

are we going to end up playing only Bioware so called rpgs?

no more good Fallout games?

the end of games with good stories?

can't trade my fat mom for some hot chick?

The answer to ONE of those is a yes. The rest are no's. LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN!

EDIT: One of them is also a maybe.

haha :lol:

My pick:

-MAYBE no more Fallout games made by Obsidian

-YES, I can trade my...oh wait...hum, might pick something else instead...

Depends on the size of the layoff, 3-4 employees doesn't mean a cancelled project and Obsidian's always had a turnover.

That said, Obs' cycle is a little off at the moment, with DS3 only 2 months away then no other projects with even a sliver of information (other than the Wheel of Time stuff). Hopefully they're lining up future projects OK.

I'm willing to bet they're working on another Fallout game, while Bethsoft focuses on TESV.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Sad news, best of luck to those laid off.

is this the end?

is Obsidian closing?

no more good rpgs?

are we going to end up playing only Bioware so called rpgs?

no more good Fallout games?

the end of games with good stories?

can't trade my fat mom for some hot chick?

no...just no...nononononononononononono....oh God please no...

(Dark Vader voice)NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

More seriously, those layoffs are common practice, I don't think that means the end of Obsidian, I think that they will rehire people when the time requires it...at least that's what I'm hoping for.

Zenimax would buy them in a jiffy in case of a worst case scenario.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Hrm, with the success of FO:NV I was hoping things were going well for Obsidian. Hopefully it is just a bit of streamlining and not a sign of impending doom.

This.

...good luck to all, in all things.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Really sad news. Especially because I think FNV was Obsidians best game so far. At least on par with MotB. Best of luck to everyone laid of.

From Something Awful:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthrea...mp;userid=19836

The extent of the layoffs has been greatly exaggerated, though some good people were let go.

True. I saw this on Neogaf and everyone acted like they were a sinking ship. Now I'll wait until I respond to these stories, as the gaming press and the people who comment on it usually blow things out of proportion.

Is Tess Mustang? I'm usually better with handles than actual names.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Thanks for the well-wishes, guys!

And yes, we've had Obsidianites return to the fold after gigs elsewhere, which is something I would like to do eventually. :lol:

I feel a disturbance in the force. It's as though a hundred devs simultaneously facepalmed, and then fell silent bc the nda is still in place.

twitter

Tess, you're one of the people who I associate very closely to some of the funnest days in my gaming life - days prior to the release of F:NV. The fact that you've worked so hard on the game that threw me 10 years back, to before I was jaded with Crapouts, means a lot to me. Thank you so much for all of your work and I sincerely wish you all the best and good luck in finding an awesome job.

Olivier Pougnand, designer

EDIT: Sawyer wrote his recommendations for Joe and Tess.

Joe Sanabria

Art Director at Obsidian Entertainment

Joe was my Art Director on Fallout: New Vegas and in addition to managing the art team, he tackled the huge jobs both of establishing a fresh vision for the Mojave Wasteland and keeping the feel of the world in line with the vibe of previous Fallout titles. Joe brought a great deal of passion to the project, wholeheartedly embracing the Googie architectural style of a retro-50s Vegas and synthesizing new buildings, landscape, and prop concepts that fit right in to the Fallout: New Vegas world. He created comprehensive style guides for each region of the game, providing verbal direction, written documentation, photo reference, paint-overs, mock-ups, and color palette ranges. As artists moved through their tasks, he tirelessly generated paint-overs with general and specific feedback to help make areas feel more cohesive and alive to players. He mentored many new artists on the team, providing junior staffers with both technical suggestions and aesthetic tips over the course of development to help build a stronger art staff and product. Additionally, he mentored more senior staff members into sub-lead roles, giving them the guidance necessary for them to become managers and allowing Joe to manage his time more effectively. In dealing with our publisher, Bethesda, and our external concept art houses, Joe was always quick to provide material, feedback, and rapid turn-arounds on requested changes. This helped keep our developer-publisher relationship running smoothly and allowed everyone on the internal team to stay as focused as possible on making a great game. Joe was a tremendous asset on a challenging project and would not hesitate to work with him again in the future.

Theresa Kanae Treadwell

Producer at Obsidian Entertainment

I worked with Tess on Fallout: New Vegas, where she was part of our production staff. In addition to general management and asset tracking, Tess helped head up goal-focused strike teams. These teams were interdisciplinary and required Tess to help establish and maintain focus while facilitating communication and forward momentum. Tess was excellent in this role and communicated issues and concerns regularly with both her team members and other members of the production staff. Tess also volunteered to help tackle a large number of text and localization issues that were enormous in scope, time-consuming, and fraught with potential peril. She gladly put in the time required to make sure everything was in place when it needed to be and discussed potential pitfalls and work-arounds with team members over the course of development. On a more basic level, Tess moved and communicated easily between team members of all disciplines and was able to carry the directives of team "vision holders" while working to help team members be realistic about their schedules. It was her ability to be active, communicative, persistent, and flexible in pursuing goals that made her such a valuable asset to the team.

Edited by funcroc

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ex-Obsidian designer/producer Akil Hooper joins Sony Online Entertainment again.

Akil Hooper

Lead Designer at Sony Online Entertainment on EverQuest II

Current

Lead Designer at Sony Online Entertainment

Past

Producer at Obsidian Entertainment

Game Designer at Obsidian Entertainment

Lead Designer at Sony Online Entertainment

Assistiant Lead Designer at Sony Online Entertainment

Game Designer at Sony Online Entertainment

• 1 month later...