sidekicks as companions in expansions?

I would love to see a male nature godlike druid with a plant form as companion in one of the dlc.

:luck:

For what it's worth, nature godlikes seem like such a perfect match for druids and rangers for no other reason than they are NATURE godlikes, not out of any syncing of their subrace benefits relative to any given class or subclass's own abilities.

I'd say this is unlikely to happen because integrating new companions into the relationship system seems overly difficult. Not only would they need to get the sidekick's voice actor back into the studio, but also all the companion actors to voice knew relationship content. (Although I guess they at least know where to find all the Critical Role people in one place ...)

This is a fair point.  And may be a reason why it'd be easier add new sidekicks into the game rather than new companions.  After all, sidekicks really seem like they're little more than just mercenaries you make yourself.  And that's not a bad thing.  In fact, it might be nice if there were a bunch more sidekicks.

• Like 1

Thing about Ydwin though is that she clearly was written as companion character first considering main plot of the game <_< Her animancy experiment is actually relevant to the ending of the game meaning it is really weird she is a sidekick.

There is also that without her as companion, there is only one moment in game that really triggers Pallegina's pro animancy bias

They're going to have to do all of that anyways right? Pretty much everyone expects to get new companions in the expansions, and they will need all the voice actors back for that, so why not expand upon Ydwin rather than make a new companion?

To be honest, while I would love another companion with the DLC, I don't one. Obsidian haven't said anything about adding companions, and given how much voice acting there is in Deadfire integrating someone new into the plot would be difficult at this point. Plus, they'd have to redo the relationship interface, which currently has no room for an extra person.

I would settle for another sidekick who can be a Priest. Or a Paladin. Better still, someone who can be a Paladin, Priest or Templar.

Well, that's more cheerful news on the subject than I was expecting!

Ydwin does seem like the most likely possibility and the one with the most potential story impact, which is a shame from my perspective because I want more Konstanten :unsure: . But if expanded Ydwin is what we get, I will happily take it.

Josh just said in the stream that they are well aware that people want sidekicks to become companions in the dlc. He mentioned Ydwin specifically. He didn't promise anything, but I got a good impression, I think there is a good chance. :)

That is good news. Goth or not, lore dump about animancy will be great addition.

• Like 1

Josh just said in the stream that they are well aware that people want sidekicks to become companions in the dlc. He mentioned Ydwin specifically. He didn't promise anything, but I got a good impression, I think there is a good chance. :)

Yay. Another one to try to get into Watcher’s pants.

Yay. Another one to try to get into Watcher’s pants.

Nah she'd be more like Aloth in which the only way to start her romance is to shove your tongue down her throat XD

Personally hoping for Ydwin, Rekke and Konstanten to a lesser extent. But I just hope in general that they rather upgrade some of the sidekicks to full fledged companions rather than make new companions with the expansions.

• Like 1

It probably will go one companion and maybe one sidekick per DLC... I doubt they will simply "promote" a sidekick.

Honestly I'd be surprised if they add a companion per DLC. Three new companions, each of which have to either have relationship interactions with the other companions (meaning bringing the VAs back in to record a bunch more lines) or not (making them seem unconnected compared to the main companions.

Sidekicks? Sure, I'd imagine one per game is quite likely. Perhaps even with unique subclasses suited to the adventure of the DLC. But I doubt we'll see three new companions.

I hope I'm wrong of course :lol:

It probably will go one companion and maybe one sidekick per DLC... I doubt they will simply "promote" a sidekick.

Honestly I'd be surprised if they add a companion per DLC. Three new companions, each of which have to either have relationship interactions with the other companions (meaning bringing the VAs back in to record a bunch more lines) or not (making them seem unconnected compared to the main companions.

Sidekicks? Sure, I'd imagine one per game is quite likely. Perhaps even with unique subclasses suited to the adventure of the DLC. But I doubt we'll see three new companions.

I hope I'm wrong of course :lol:

If this was planned for the DLCs, they most likely made this part of the VO contracts.

I'm pretty darn sure Ydwin will make it in one of the expansions, specifically the next expansion that's coming out in July which is called 'Beast of Winter'. Come on! The Beast of Winter is Rymrgand, the main deity the Pale elves worship. I think the expansion's name itself is a dead giveaway..

On top of my my previous comment, both Ydwin and Rekke are voiced by Critical Role casts, while the other two sidekicks (forgot their names) didn't have any special voice overs. Plus, they changed Ydwin's portrait twice, TWICE. Quite a lot of work for a sidekick don't you think?

Ydwin's picture link: https://www.resetera.com/threads/pillars-of-eternity-2-deadfire-what-we-know-so-far-and-future-updates.1546/page-29

Critical Role Voice link: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/96803-critical-role-meet-pillars-of-eternity-ii-deadfire/page-1

Edited by Sanjid099
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I want to learn about rekke origin and past. Dont care Ydwin really, not interesting at all but welcome if they turn her into a companion too.

Ydwin didnt make it because they made the mistake of let her for the end of the campaign, people that didnt like her design were not relevant, it simply was too late (a mistake by developers as I see it, too many useless pledges before her).

As I see it sidekicks are an example of wasted effort if they dont improve them to companions, even companions are a little bit short compared to other isometric old rpgs (some dialogues and a simple and plain quest, done, miss Durador so much). You can get a personalised character more worth it and charismatic that most of them.

Edited by Roda

I hope so. I really love Rekke and the others are so neat. I like them more then the new companions.

• Like 1

Atsura, the intelligent Psychopath of my dreams.  I like my elves grumpy and my godlike fishy!

And my Rekke romancable!