Early Access Stream Friday 8am EST

It sounds like Obsidian didn't really want to go past level 18 but were forced to go to 20 by the stretch goals. Solution: stretch the later levels a bit.

I disagree. They have followed, in many ways, the Dungeons and Dragons progression system and "power level 9" (not called that in D&D, but the same thing) is the highest you get at level 20 there, as well. You get to it at 17 in D&D, but you still don't get anything else until Epic Levels, which start at 21 and above. Which it well outside the scope of this game.

Now, if they add "Epic Levels" to the game in upcoming DLC that would be quite interesting...

• Like 1

Now, if they add "Epic Levels" to the game in upcoming DLC that would be quite interesting...

PoE3 :)
  • Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I disagree. They have followed, in many ways, the Dungeons and Dragons progression system and "power level 9" (not called that in D&D, but the same thing) is the highest you get at level 20 there, as well. You get to it at 17 in D&D, but you still don't get anything else until Epic Levels, which start at 21 and above. Which it well outside the scope of this game.

Maybe that's the case, but if so why? They aren't using D&D so level 9 spells didn't have to be the highest level: they could have gone to level 10. Having the progression change at level 13 just seems inelegant to me: like they were running out of good spell and ability ideas and/or budget to do the GFX for them.

It doesn't bother me much: it'll allow me to fill in missed options a bit. It just seems odd.

• Like 1

Unless I’m missing something, a single class character will get 5 abilities from PL7, 4 from PL8, and 3 from PL9. Quite the incentive not to multiclass.

• Like 2

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I've been watching the stream today and I gotta say, I'm a bit worried about the difficulty. First ~8h on PotD and Cohh didn't have to reload a single fight, and let's face it, he's not Boeroer. I hope someone else watched it as well because I can't quite decide if it's because all the encounters were super easy so far or the Monk/Druid multiclass is straight up OP.

• Like 2

I seam to recall said that the crit path is probably easier, and if you stray off, then you find the more challenging encounters,  I think that was said by somebody (Josh?) once on a  stream...

Edited by tdphys
  • Like 1

Having the progression change at level 13 just seems inelegant to me: like they were running out of good spell and ability ideas and/or budget to do the GFX for them.

It doesn't bother me much: it'll allow me to fill in missed options a bit. It just seems odd.

I don't think that's it. I think that the sweet spot for multi classing is 2 power levels behind single. If singles class characters would have continued to gain power levels every 2 char lvls it would have made multi classing irrelevant at higher levels. The current solution allows single class to establish that 2 PL lead by lvl 13 and then keep it at exactly that.

• Like 1

I think I have found my dream build so far:

Helwalker/Wizard with Citzal's Spirit Lance and Instruments of Pain:

Doing AoE ranged attacks (over 10 meters range) with Citzal's Spirit Lance and adding Swift Flurry (33% additonal attack on crit) and the new passive Heartbeat Drum that adds a 25% chance to do another attack on crit.

BAM! BAMBAMBAMBAM! Sweet Lord Gamebreaker I can't wait... ;(

;)

Some changes doesn't make sense... Eternal flame gives 10% to one character, Shared flame gives 20% lash to all team members. The design seems to force you make choice to meet the class's role by nerfing all other choices.

Also ranger's Stunning Shot is basically the same ability as barbarian's Intterupting Blow. But one is lvl 5 ability, one is lvl 9...

This is like the devs are telling u 'Hey u can make a ranger as a Crowd Controller, but it gonna be such a bad choice than u will not too.'

I want to play ranger and that is so potato. Same ability, different name and 4 levels difference in getting it. So Stunning shots has changed from an Level 9 on hit stun when hitting enemy with both ranger and companion to a Level 19 on crit interrupt (i guess at least it doesnt require animal but i would rather the other way around). umm... and Barbarian gets exact same ability called Interrupting blows at around level 9 for single class.

I wonder if this is a bug since they are so similar the only difference is Barbarian says melee only and ranger doesnt. That isnt worth 10 actual levels is it?

Because Barbarian is marked as Crowd Controller and Ranger as Striker? If this is the reason why ranger deserves the same ability but so much later I’m gonna be pissed. I never a fan of such role system. I like a roleless system so I can build my class into whatever role I want to.

Edited by dunehunter
  • Like 1

Helwalker/Wizard with Citzal's Spirit  Lance and Instruments of Pain:

Doing AoE ranged attacks (over 10 meters range) with Citzal's Spirit Lance and adding Swift Flurry (33% additonal attack on crit) and the new passive Heartbeat Drum that adds a 25% chance to do another attack on crit.

BAM! BAMBAMBAMBAM! Sweet Lord Gamebreaker I can't wait...  ;( 

Sounds like fun but the build doesn't come online until level 19. The game is over at that point

Helwalker/Wizard with Citzal's Spirit Lance and Instruments of Pain:

BAM! BAMBAMBAMBAM! Sweet Lord Gamebreaker I can't wait... ;(

Sounds like fun but the build doesn't come online until level 19. The game is over at that point

Nope it is already unlocked once u get the Ciztal’s lance and Swift Flurry. It’s at lvl 13. The passive extra hit just makes this build even more broken.

if anyone watched Cohh more than just character creation, tell me, did he used Attributes in dialogues? (intellect, resolve, might etc.). i don't know if i need put points in resolve to unlock more options, like in first game, or not. 

Edited by OrKToS

if anyone watched Cohh more than just character creation, tell me, did he used Attributes in dialogues? (intellect, resolve, might etc.). i don't know if i need put points in resolve to unlock more options, like in first game, or not. 

Yeah there were at least 2 resolve options too. XD

I never really understood the fuss about resolve in Pillars 1, missing a couple dialog options wasn't a big deal. Though I think the attribute itself is better in Deadfire than in Pillars 1.

because dialogue options with Resolve was often and near end game they require about 19 points. which is crazy, specially if you didn't know how resolve heavy dialogues in this game. and when game force you to spend points in useless stat, just you could say what you think is best in that situation, is justify people's grumpiness about it. imo.

• Like 1

I only watched the character creation video, but to those who watched the whole thing, did he import a character from Pillars 1?  If so, how were story talents from Pillars 1 handled?

He did.  They weren't... yet.  [Well, he did get a food bundle that was god-themed according to the one he chose to get a blessing from]

It definitely tracks a bunch of stuff, however. 

Importantly, the save is imported in game, after the intro and some initial dialogue, not through the menu.  If you want to _create_ a custom backstory, that's done through the menu, but then loaded in game like a save.  Picking a pre-created package can be done in either place.