How good, mediocre or plain bad will Deadfire be?

It's gonna be awesome!!! :yes:

I have no other basis for this, other than the backer beta, and all the updates and tidbits of info, but Deadfire will for sure be better than PoE1, D:OS1 & D:OS2, plus Tyranny, combined!

And that talking sword, it's the mouthy icing on the cake.

• Like 10

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Allegra Clark.

*Lots* of appeal.

• Like 4

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

What's the appeal of the talking sword? I take great comfort in the fact that none of my tools\toys talk back.

This sword says sexy things back.

Yes! We have no bananas.

What's the appeal of the talking sword? I take great comfort in the fact that none of my tools\toys talk back.

Ugh. Before or after its created gore spattered holes in people?

Very creepy.

• Like 4

Isn't that the name of Kevin James' love interest in Hitch?

I guess that was Allegra Cole and not Allegra Clark. Who knew you could find these things on the internet?

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

Boy, was the topic title a rollercoaster of emotions. :p

I'm looking forward to it! I'm positive I will enjoy it regardless of classic Obsidian flaws (mostly bugs). In fact, the only reservation I have right now is that David Warner ended up not being in the game, but eh. That's just minor nostalgia talking.

EDIT: Just noticed the tags. Lol.

Edited by Skazz
  • Like 1

Ugh. Before or after its created gore spattered holes in people?

Very creepy.

Well, to be fair, Lilarcor could sometimes be creepy too.

Like, screaming YEAH!!! HIT IT AGAIN!!! right after the sex scene with Jaheira.

I'm mostly sure these are unrelated events, though.

I hope.

• Like 9

Sword confirmed to have lines about all different types of fluids. On a more serious note regarding this topic I really appreciate things like this because it tells me not everything in the game is going to nasty and upsetting. No doubt we'll have folks complain about the sword but it's not a requirement soooo....

I expect to be satisfied though. I love Obsidian's work and am looking forward to seeing what they've made with Deadfire. People always talk about hype before games like devs are going to deliver Superman 64 again.

• Like 1

Yes! We have no bananas.

Quick superman? Or are we not talking about Clark Kent?

Either way, relevance is what?

Allegra Clark is the sword’s voice actress (relevance) and she’s very good (appeal, which may vary depending on your taste.)

My statement was also a tongue-in-cheek reference to her looks, as Allegra Clark is fairly attractive.

• Like 3

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Guest 4ward

i don‘t expect that much for me, i‘d be happy if it‘s a 7/10 score for me. If they‘d tie empower to per-rest with per-encounter gone as well as get away from engagement completely with only abilities like knockdown or something like shieldbash in and thus enemy ai improved, then i‘m pretty sure the game would be more fun for me. So, i‘m hoping this time the story and exploration will motivate me to play to the end of the game.

It's gonna be awesome!!! :yes:

I have no other basis for this, other than the backer beta, and all the updates and tidbits of info, but Deadfire will for sure be better than PoE1, D:OS1 & D:OS2, plus Tyranny, combined!

And that talking sword, it's the mouthy icing on the cake.

I'm glad they haven't spoiled much (or anything) regarding the story, the companions and relationships. It should guarantee a fresh feel when the game starts and that will be a big plus. Looking good so far.

• Like 6

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

Upon release, I'm expecting the RPGCodex will melt down into a steaming pile of radioactive bilge. But the game should be good.

• Like 6

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

What's the deal with RPG Codex? I've seen the name tossed around here before, they don't seem to be particularly popular. Why is that?

The Codex is a bit like 4chan meets RPG nerds. They have a culture unto themselves. Some people hate it, and some like it. They are very "no holds barred" with their opinion, and it was pretty mixed there on PoE. They seem to have a bit of a love hate relationship with Obsidian. It's a specific culture they have and you love it or hate it, it seems.

We have a few Codexians that post here, and I think many RPG news posts there are solid. Infinitron (a Codex Mod) posts a lot of relevant news here. Always worth reading an Infinitron post imho. The issue is whether you read the comments over there and can take the strong opinions.

Edited by Ganrich
  • Like 4

I remember when PoE1 came out everyone was saying they hope it's as good as BG2. I said "these guys just built the tools, assets, and pipeline for this game and I doubt BG2 is a reachable possibility. It took Bioware making their tools and what not while building BG and TotSC before BG2 happened. I expect BG1 levels of quality."

In the end, I like Poe a great deal. Its pretty close to BG1 in quality. It isnt perfect, but neither was BG or BG2 for that matter. I expect Deadfire to be a pretty solid jump in quality from PoE1, and systems wise I believe the beta has shown that jump. If the story telling and other systems make a similar jump we are in for a heck of a ride. So, my expectations are pretty high this go around.

• Like 9

I remember when PoE1 came out everyone was saying they hope it's as good as BG2. I said "these guys just built the tools, assets, and pipeline for this game and I doubt BG2 is a reachable possibility. It took Bioware making their tools and what not while building BG and TotSC before BG2 happened. I expect BG1 levels of quality."

In the end, I like Poe a great deal. Its pretty close to BG1 in quality. It isnt perfect, but neither was BG or BG2 for that matter. I expect Deadfire to be a pretty solid jump in quality from PoE1, and systems wise I believe the beta has shown that jump. If the story telling and other systems make a similar jump we are in for a heck of a ride. So, my expectations are pretty high this go around.

And based on that, I would expect Deadfire to be what BG2 was for BG1, if not even better ;)

I have very high expectations. I know that the higher the expectations the easier I can be disappointed. But in this case I feel like my high expectations are justified and there's a good change they'll be met.

• Like 2

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

And based on that, I would expect Deadfire to be what BG2 was for BG1, if not even better ;)

I have very high expectations. I know that the higher the expectations the easier I can be disappointed. But in this case I feel like my high expectations are justified and there's a good change they'll be met.

One can hope. This won't be BG2, though. It has elements from too many other games to retread BG2. The map travel system that is similar to Fallout 1, Arcanum, or Storm of Zehir, for instance. Just without random encounters that had a tendency to come with those travel systems.

It wont be all stemming from a single city hub like BG2. Although, it seems that they learned that having a single major city is better than trying to make two. However, how BG 2 limited exploration outside of Athkattla was something I didnt care for. Deadfire will have exploration, a more consolidated city, and hopefully wont be spread too thin like PoE1. Not to mention the increased importance of factions. I hope it definitely is closer to BG2 in narrative quality, companions, and so on.

I still dont expect BG2 is all I'm saying. I expect a vastly different game that could be a little worse or in its own way a little better. IMHO, it will be better than PoE1, and it may be an instant classic, but it will hinge on Narrative quality. The combat system is top notch for RtwP, IMHO. If the narrative and exploration is equally improved, and works for the players, then it will be great.

As a bonus we are getting a bunch of new Justin Bell tracks, and the music in PoE IMHO was absolutely my favorite part. He nailed the IE music vibe while making the music work for the world Obsidian created. He made the IE music style his own in a way. And that is a tall task to ask anyone. I take more Justin Bell music as an absolute win win.

• Like 1

Oh no, I wasn't saying that I was expecting Deadfire to be a Baldur's Gate 2. No, if I wanted to play a game like Baldur's Gate 2 then I would play... Baldur's Gate 2! But I want to play Deadfire!

I was referring to the enhancement of Baldur's Gate 2 in comparison to Baldur's Gate 1. And I don't mean that I expect specific enhancements from Baldur's Gate 2 to be found in Deadfire (with one exception*). I was referring to the scale upon which Baldur's Gate 1 was improved and expanded upon by Baldur's Gate 2.

And I would expect something similar for Deadfire. I expect it to be an improved and expanded version of PoE on a large scale.

*the one exception that is coming to mind is the relationship system. That is one aspect that Baldur's Gate 2 heavily improved upon from Baldur's Gate 1. And I think with the introduction of the relationship system, Deadfire will do something similar for PoE.

• Like 4

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)