New Features Trailer and Preview

For those who didn’t hear yet - they chose to go with a licensed track for the trailer as Justin Bell is busy wrapping up the score and audio and it would have taken a lot of his time to create something specifically for the trailer. Smart thinking IMO.

Edited by Frog Man
  • Like 7

This line worries me! “Everything in our game is actually hand-crafted, every single piece of content, area, fight, every interaction, that’s hand-placed and hand-scripted.”

With the "no trash fights" line someone told me before will there be enough content to really level 5 or 6 soul bound weapons found 1/2 through the game?

I'll believe it when I see it. I agree with that old Josh Sawyer post about how romance is both under and over used in these games but it's so hard to get it right, and I know people will be clambering for the Bioware style. Here's hoping.

Not sure if you meant this but I hope its not Bioware style.

So do I, but a fairly vocal group of players eat that stuff up.

This line worries me! “Everything in our game is actually hand-crafted, every single piece of content, area, fight, every interaction, that’s hand-placed and hand-scripted.”

With the "no trash fights" line someone told me before will there be enough content to really level 5 or 6 soul bound weapons found 1/2 through the game?

Depends what “hand-crafted” means in this case. Early in development there was a talk about random encounters as you travel and that some of them will being repeatable (lots of unique content but not infinite). Even those repeatable were to be “supervised” and not just spawned by algorithm - so a designer would design repeatable encounters with some possible variation in them.

I am curious if those are still in the game. Poked Josh couple times about it, but no confirmation. It is possible that they moved towards limited, more unique content, though if I run out of ships to sink it might be a stragely empty archipelago.

Judging from beta there will be plenty of fighting to be done. They are just better designed overall.

Well, they could go with the Divinity: Original Sin 2 option, where the ubiquitous narrator calmly describes the sex your character is having in somewhat graphic detail.

(Probably not, though.)

I wasn't sure I believed you, so I Googled it. Now I'm not sure what to think, but I have to admire the audacity on some level. I remember having some flirty dialogue options with Lohse and Ifan, but I wasn't sure what it was going to lead to...

Why is "hand crafted" a bad thing? Random generation is the easy way out for anything but a roguelike and has been slowly strangling the open world subgenre.

Agreed.

Hand-crafted has always been better, the only way I can think of random or proceedural generation being better is replayability but something gets lost in translation.

Hand-crafted has soul, random/proceedural doesn't. For awhile indie devs were really pushing randoma and proceedural generation but lately - especially after Hollow Knight recieved popularity, they've been going back to hand-crafted.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Well, they could go with the Divinity: Original Sin 2 option, where the ubiquitous narrator calmly describes the sex your character is having in somewhat graphic detail.

(Probably not, though.)

Still not sure if those are the worst sex scenes ever or the *BEST* sex scenes ever.

I wouldn't mind they added some kind of random generated dungeon with random generated monster for you to explore and fight, just for the sake of it.

Not everything has to be handcrafted, random generated could be fun too.

Edited by jf8350143

I wouldn't mind they added some kind of random generated dungeon with random generated monster for you to explore and fight, just for the sake of it.Not everything has to be handcrafted, random generated could be fun too.

System that procedurally generates levels to play and enemies to fight needs to be handcrafted. PoE would need to change completely tech for it to happen. Prerendered backgrounds don’t lend themselves too well to being randomised as they need to be designed, rendered, have walkable/line of sight and goodness knows what else done by hand.

For my taste there is enough procedural generation to get my fill. Obs strenght lies in careful world design and storytelling, and it’s wise of them to focus on that.

EDIT. Typos, Thanks autocorrect. 

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 5

I wouldn't mind they added some kind of random generated dungeon with random generated monster for you to explore and fight, just for the sake of it.Not everything has to be handcrafted, random generated could be fun too.

System that procedurally generates levels to play and enemies to fight needs to be handcrafted. PoE would need to change completely tech for it to happen. Prerendered backgrounds don’t lend themselves too well to being randomised as they need to be designed, rendered, have walkable/line of sight and goodness knows what else done by hand.

For my taste there is enough procedural generation to get my fill. Obs strenght lies in careful world design and storytelling, and it’s wise of them to focus on that.

I only partially agree. I think a list of random encounters that are handcrafted and plotted onto a terrain appropriate for character location would work quite well. You can run into a random encounter any time on the world map or they can populate previously cleared areas. Add new "random encounters" to the random encounter table when the world changes, too. (Kind of like the assassins that would hunt you down in PoE 1.)

I would create a random encounter table that has increasing difficulty depending upon the roll and has modifiers that depend upon location (no need to modify for level scaling because that happens automatically, but you certainly could). Throw in an algorithm to slightly modify encounter makeup and don't make the random encounters too common and you can have some great variety. (Extra monsters are already procedurally generated on higher difficulties, so modifying monster count is easy.)

I only partially agree. I think a list of random encounters that are handcrafted and plotted onto a terrain appropriate for character location would work quite well. You can run into a random encounter any time on the world map or they can populate previously cleared areas. Add new "random encounters" to the random encounter table when the world changes, too. (Kind of like the assassins that would hunt you down in PoE 1.)

I would create a random encounter table that has increasing difficulty depending upon the roll and has modifiers that depend upon location (no need to modify for level scaling because that happens automatically, but you certainly could). Throw in an algorithm to slightly modify encounter makeup and don't make the random encounters too common and you can have some great variety. (Extra monsters are already procedurally generated on higher difficulties, so modifying monster count is easy.)

Ah! But this is quite a different thing. I am not saying that procedural generation is evil and has no place in the game. However, I don’t think that higher difficulties use procedural generation to add enemies - my guess would be that they are placed there, they just don’t appear on lower difficulties. I am also against the ideas of spawning enemies in previously cleared areas, unless that is precisely the point of said area. I hope for the maps in Deadfire to have a bit more thought behind them, like in White March. Couple ways in which generation could reasticly be used are: ambushes as you travel on land, and generated faction ships which you can raid.

However, this is not what my reply was addressing. The poster suggested a generated dungeon with generated mob in it, which I confidently believe is not supported by current engine, and is not an easy thing to do. A good procedural generation takes a lot of work.

• Like 1

(Probably not, though.)

Still not sure if those are the worst sex scenes ever or the *BEST* sex scenes ever.
Does the Bastila kissy-kissy scene from KotOR count? Cuz if so, I think it gets to be the worst.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

(Probably not, though.)

Does the Bastila kissy-kissy scene from KotOR count? Cuz if so, I think it gets to be the worst.
I guess no one here played Indigo Prophecy?

(Probably not, though.)

I guess no one here played Indigo Prophecy?
I’ve successfully managed to forget most of it

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

(Probably not, though.)

"Shut up and kiss me you babbling fool." And people still think new Bioware writes worse dialogue than old Bioware. Still, most awkward sex scene in gaming has to be the Dragon Age Origins one.

I concur. 

That trailer really told me nothing new. Shame on me for signing onto this forum. :D

And man, does anybody else think the characters are too big for the screens? Looks like a bunch of Yao Mings...

I completely agree on the characters on the screen. They are too big and seems out of place. Hoping that they can shrink it to a desired size