That TV Topic

Blarghagh

Finished The X-Files Season 11.

Had the best standalone episodes in a long while but the myth arc was just terrible. It has been terrible since after S6's Two Fathers/One Son but this is a new low even going by S9's and S10's mythology episodes.

It's sad that Gillian Anderson doesn't want to continue. It's the first time I'd actually look forward to another season of X-Files since, well, '99 I guess.

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

X files mythology episodes being rubbish is pretty ironic given how often it's the standalone episodes of most other US TV series with an overarching story which are rubbish filler, while it's reversed for X Files. I even liked the standalone eps in S10 as well (even Babylon, and the Were-Human episode was as good as any of their semi comic standalones from earlier seasons), but the arc eps were uniformly illogical, incoherent, poorly plotted etc etc. Partly it's because the real world had left the X files' plot behind- early X files largely lead public opinion on government conspiracies and the like, now it all just seems so tame.

If there were to be more X files made (and I suspect there will be at some point, it's better as an occasional rather than regular series anyway at this point in its life cycle) they really need to either get rid of Chris Carter or force him to use someone else as an editor, the quality and tonal differences are more of a gulf between him and the others at this point.

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Like 1

So I had nothing to watch yesterday and out of pure despair I started watching this Outcast from Amazon. To my surprise it started kinda interesting. Episode 2 wasn't that off putting either. Probably going to keep watching it for now.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

To touch back briefly to the new X-Files season here's a clip from one of the episodes:

I want a Mr. Chuckle Teeth spinoff. That thing is, to quote Will Ferrell, that thing is first team all American creepy. ;)

Yeah, season 3 is pretty tense so far. Really sucks having to wait a week between each episode.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Cloak and Dagger episode 3 ( I think) - It's weird because I'm always complaining about shows going too fast and just racing from plot point to plot point but this one has a slowness about it that I'm still not yet sure that I like. It's not as if stuff isn't happening but that it isn't isn't going anywhere yet.. and the teenage angst

Free games updated 3/4/21

Apparently Netflix is saving Lucifer after Fox cancelled it.

Season 4 has been snatched up on the day that the options on the cast were about to end.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Continued watching Westworld.

When Dolores modified Teddy I thought he was going to off her. Not himself. But that works too. Bye Cyclops, at least you were allowed to die on screen this time (even if you were boring).

Edited by majestic

I've been watching Liquid Science on Netflix with GZA from the Wu-Tang clan. I read some bad reviews on it and it's not the best but I kind of like that it doesn't have a scientist or expert but rather someone who isn't knowledgeable but is just interested in the subjects

Free games updated 3/4/21

Continued watching Westworld.

When Dolores modified Teddy I thought he was going to off her. Not himself. But that works too. Bye Cyclops, at least you were allowed to die on screen this time (even if you were boring).

Bit of a shame, because I'm getting tired of Dolores. She was good in season 1, but eh.

Finished season 1 of Outcast. It's... ok. Bit too slow maybe. Not sure when I will start with season 2.. probably not anytime soon.

I thought I understood what was happening then the post credit scene ****ed me up real good. Thank you Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy. I guess this means I just had my first threesome.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I thought I understood what was happening then the post credit scene ****ed me up real good. Thank you Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy. I guess this means I just had my first threesome.

The post-credit scene might be a hint at a Living Witness scenario, historians trying to recreate what happened in the far future. I doubt it implies that what we've seen never happened, this is just happening after whatever Dolores is going to do.

And boy am I glad they brought her back. I was cheering at the screen when Bernard offed her, and now she's back. Hooray.

I remember quite liking (or at least being amused by) Lucifer's first season when I binge-watched via cable's on-demand feature. Never got around to watching other seasons since I'm not much for keeping up with weekly TV as it airs - being picked up by Netflix is nice.

I watched the first few episodes of "Dark", a German "Netflix" series. The ads and descriptions really make you think of Stranger Things but I dunno, there's a certain mood and similarity in setup perhaps but it also feels fairly different. Doesn't seem to be horror/magic/monster, more serial murder with the common sci-fi angle of

time travel and paradoxes.

It's not bad, kept my attention, but that sci-fi trope may make me lose interest eventually. It's not a long series tho.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Oh god f damnit. I just found out that SundanceTV has canned Hap and Leonard after season 3. Why, why...

Be still my heart. German private TV channels have started an initiative called "Screenforce" to get some audience back.

*reads plans*

*tosses remote over her shoulder right into the trash can, as she's heading for the door*

If anyone wants me, I'm buying some season boxes of American, Britsh and general international TV shows of some reputation. Those plans are just dull, and partially even just pathetic.

(Dear RTL, if your most interesting new show is about people building things with LEGO, you do have a serious problem.)

And I don't even want think about what a certain channel will do with that reality TV show about terminally ill people. That channel is well known for contracts that don't agree with human rights, as enough their former victims have called them out for it. Not to mention the disgusting scripts, that make some people look like terrible beings, just to make the shows more interesting. And if people don't follow the scripts, they're punished with ruinous fines. Just the thought that this channel's going to work with terminally ill and probably already physically weakened people scares me to the bone.

And those channels wonder why more and more people get rid off their TVs. :rolleyes: Actually, I read sentences like "I don't even own a TV, because the program is just terrible" from young people on the internet, who have just moved out of their parents' place, very often these days.

Edited by LittleRose

Well, I'm not that young anymore, but I haven't watched regular tv program for about 5 years now. Everything I need is accessible via the internet without waiting times and no adverts.

BUT I can also see a different development here... especially my experience with amazon prime, who - since a while now - offer "additional theme channels" for even more money than the regular subscription you pay for... which in the end is pretty much the same as the old Premiere or later Sky, where you pay more if you want to see certain stuff. Really, it's beginning to be exactly the same as old pay tv, just that you can still choose at which time you'd like to see a movie or show. It already annoyed me when amazon started showing adverts before each movie, even though I'm already paying for prime.. which had its costs increased as well a couple months back.

tl;dr - I fear that internet streaming services will end up just like regular old pay tv someday in the future.

Edited by Lexx