Politics Princess' Sweet Sixteen

Blarghagh

*watches a country with a population under 10M wait for six months to lance a boil*

Wouldn't it be better to look at the higher priority wait times?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Whew, bullet dodged? What about unrelenting back pain like was mentioned last time we talked about this? Still tough enough to wait? Its easy to cherry pick "we cured the dude of leprosy by immediately prescribing dapsone, rifampicin, and clofazimine" but you have to look at what the masses will use most frequently.

Also, tv isn't RL. :p

Wouldn't it be better to look at the higher priority wait times?

If you want the smallest sample size, yes.

Well, it'd be more suitable to look at if you're trying to take a shot at another system.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

At least the NHS provides a base level of medical support. If you don't want to deal with the potential waiting lists, you can spend money on private medicine... And it's still less expensive than the "standard" across the US.

:shifty:

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I'm confused, I thought it was US politicians telling chronic pain sufferers they should just tough it out.

Ah. Well I don't feel like retelling the entire conversation. Perhaps you can search it out and read it. You can probably zero in on it by searching my name and the term "holy moly". 

Well, it'd be more suitable to look at if you're trying to take a shot at another system.

"Look, we cured his leprosy in one day! HUZZAH!" This must mean all the more common and populous ailments are equally solveable! *nodnod* 

At least the NHS provides a base level of medical support. If you don't want to deal with the potential waiting lists, you can spend money on private medicine... And it's still less expensive than the "standard" across the US.

:shifty:

See the conversation about Sweden and Spain(?). TN can probably hook you up with the links.

"Look, we cured his leprosy in one day! HUZZAH!" This must mean all the more common and populous ailments are equally solveable! *nodnod*

Likewise it's kind of silly to harp on lower priority tasks as that doesn't indicate much. But long times for higher priority tasks indicate failing in the system.

Likewise it's kind of silly to harp on lower priority tasks as that doesn't indicate much. But long times for higher priority tasks indicate failing in the system.

Afaict, literally only life and death situations receive that urgency and that makes sense. For the vast majority of cases its "get in line, chump". I can certainly see the appeal in "free" medical care, hell I want "free" everything and to retire and spend my time day drinking and fishing. But lets not pretend its nirvana.

*watches a country with a population under 10M wait for six months to lance a boil*

I'll wait six months for a boil if it means I don't have to build a meth empire when I get cancer. :lol:

I thought we were gonna do that anyways? Thanks for letting me down ****. Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Afaict, literally only life and death situations receive that urgency and that makes sense. For the vast majority of cases its "get in line, chump". I can certainly see the appeal in "free" medical care, hell I want "free" everything and to retire and spend my time day drinking and fishing. But lets not pretend its nirvana.

Hm, at least here even things like MRI scans on backs, knees, etc. don't have that long a wait, at least anecdotally and I'm in the most populous province and city in the country. Don't think anyone thinks it's a utopia but rather that it's better than what you have now. Doubt it'll change much, Americans' view of society is fairly different than other places.

Since I posted the last one:

28575969_10155348603631447_5114172346366

I gotta be honest, it seems like they are knocking it out of the park from a PR perspective with this stuff. I mean it may seem like common sense to encourage responsible gun ownership, but far too much of the narrative is dominated by absolutists

• Like 1

I'll wait six months for a boil if it means I don't have to build a meth empire when I get cancer. :lol:

Well yeah. And for that matter, if you desperately need that boil lanced, now, you can always get it done privately and pay out of pocket for it- and chances are it will still be far cheaper than getting it done in the US even when done privately.

That's the other thing that people in the US often don't seem to understand, just because you have a single payer system doesn't mean that there aren't also private healthcare and insurance; they're just optional extras. That boil ain't going to kill you, so no kidding it's low priority compared to cancer, car accidents, appendicitis etc. Why should everyone else subsidise someone's Doritos&DewDiet enabled pustulent zitule removal as an urgent measure, to put it in free market terms.

• Like 2

Hurlshot the sporting goods store that sounds like a work the board won't let me type didn't really sell anything that might be called and "assault rifle" to begin with. I don't know about the other stores they control, Field & Stream and one other, but with them it's a pledge without meaning. It would be like KFC promising to not sell hamburgers anymore because they are unhealthy. 

I like their idea though. If a business decided to not sell a dangerous product good for them. If people who own them decide to turn them in or not sell them or whatever I'm thrilled. Where they lose me is when the government says "Thous Shalt Not Own This. Now Turn Them In". My answer to that will always be "Come take them m----------r".

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'd argue that all pledges are more ceremonial than about any actual technical specifications, but there are some systematic changes they are making to be more responsible as a seller of firearms:

- No sales to anyone under 21

- No high capacity magazines

In terms of the assault rifle, or what they refer to as a modern sporting rifle, that could very well be a symbolic move rather than a technical one. Still, it positions them as a responsible gun vendor, even if only symbolically. I think that is a good move to make for them. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but over half a million people liked their post, another 200k loved it, and only 34k hated it according to the very scientific facebook like button. :p

I don't think this will suddenly end mass shootings. But it is refreshing to see major gun sellers taking a responsible stance. The NRA does the exact opposite in these situations.

Ive actually warmed to the idea of UHC over the last few years. Basically, from my perspective, it just a form of insurance like I have on my car, except for my body. And like car insurance, for the vast majority of the time you pay in, only getting a pay out if something goes sideways.

Aside, I wonder what the numbers are for people who pay in their whole live and then have a massive coronary and are dead before they hit the ground (IE: never actually use any of the funds they paid in for their entire lives).  

Speaking of Facebook, my feed is going crazy at the moment with people's opinions regarding magazine capacity. Seems like everybody has their own ideas as to what constitutes high capacity.  It seems to be split into 3 main groups, the smallest is the gun owners who are against any restrictions, the second largest is gun owners who support some increased gun control measures who generally seems to support getting rid of anything over 20-30 rounds, and the largest group is non gun owners who are proposing things like 10 or 8 round max.

Free games updated 3/4/21

I'm curious. For those that support an "assault weapon" ban, would you support a bill that bans only new sales and manufacture? One that "grandfathers in" all weapons currently in private hands. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'm curious. For those that support an "assault weapon" ban, would you support a bill that bans only new sales and manufacture? One that "grandfathers in" all weapons currently in private hands. 

Has anyone voiced support for that? Other than a few of our European folks who just say ban guns altogether. :p

Time to switch to the hard stuff

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell