Some Paladin ability names and a cross class are a bit...D and D?

Not trying to be picky and as long as the abilities/cross classes are good it doesn't really matter but....none of the Paladin Orders we play as are religious and I see an ability like "Hands of Light" and a cross class combo of Paladin and Rogue called a Holy Slayer.  I know its semantics...what do you guys think?  I guess Hands of Light could just be part of the fire based themes/inspiration that Paladins have...

• Like 4

Have gun will travel.

Not trying to be picky and as long as the abilities/cross classes are good it doesn't really matter but....none of the Paladin Orders we play as are religious and I see an ability like "Hands of Light" and a cross class combo of Paladin and Rogue called a Holy Slayer.  I know its semantics...what do you guys think?  I guess Hands of Light could just be part of the fire based themes/inspiration that Paladins have...

Welp I don't see a problem in here. I mean... those are class/abilities names so nothing's wrong with them. Sometimes when I read this forum I feel like people are looking for bad things in things that are good and typical for RPG/cRPG. Also bear in mind that most of the cRPGs/RPGs draw from D&D. :3

• Like 1

It bothers me too, particularly when all player accessible Paladin orders aren't religious and one is pretty dark.

• Like 7

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Historically, Paladins weren't religious zealots; they were esteemed knights of the Court of Charlemagne. Their particular qualities were heroism and chivalry, rather than just slaying evil creatures. Obsidian has just moved away from the particularly LG D&D-bent of the class and made them more general. I'm not really seeing a problem with that.

• Like 5

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Welp I don't see a problem in here. I mean... those are class/abilities names so nothing's wrong with them. Sometimes when I read this forum I feel like people are looking for bad things in things that are good and typical for RPG/cRPG. Also bear in mind that most of the cRPGs/RPGs draw from D&D. :3

Do not get me wrong Worshiper of Rymrand (I as assuming this cause of your forum pic lol) I love D and D and their Paladins and love POE's version of them as well.  The real difference being their power source.  I just think its a bit weird that a Bleak Walker is a holy slayer with hands of light.  I know it is picky and as long as it works well I can get past it.

Have gun will travel.

Historically, Paladins weren't religious zealots; they were esteemed knights of the Court of Charlemagne. Their particular qualities were heroism and chivalry, rather than just slaying evil creatures. Obsidian has just moved away from the particularly LG D&D-bent of the class and made them more general. I'm not really seeing a problem with that.

I know! Dude I love it and like POEs version better, it is less restrictive/I really like the role.  I am just saying some of the ability names match more of a Holy champion (D and D/WoW Paladin type) then the POE version

• Like 2

Have gun will travel.

Hands of Light sounds fine to me, but there's a passive called Divine Purpose which is a bit weird since Paladins aren't (necessarily) religious here. I'd also probably swap Holy Slayer and Zealot around.

Agreed

Have gun will travel.

Eh, i'm not even that big of a fan of the whole concept of multi-classes having their own specific names.

Some of them feel a bit like they're stretching it.

But i also don't like multi-classing in general, so what the hell do i know?

Edited by Juodas Varnas
  • Like 1

Where are our Palms of Doom and Defile when we need them?

heck, if obsidian is gonna make paladins religious, then might as well make 'em all eothasian.  gods don't provide poe/deadfire priests or paladins with their powhaz, so is possible for three (or more) knightly orders to interpret what it means to 'follow' eothas complete different.  just like rl, eh? have equivalent o' bleak walkers, goldpact knights and kind wayfarers all s'posed dedicated to eothas.  return overt religious connection to paladins and then you can get stuff like Heretic Smite and Excommunicate as paladin abilities. is too late for such a change, but coulda' been fun and intriguing from a lore pov.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 4

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Eh, i'm not even that big of a fan of the whole concept of multi-classes having their own specific names.

Some of them feel a bit like they're stretching it.

But i also don't like multi-classing in general, so what the hell do i know?

Yep I feel exactly like you do lol

Have gun will travel.

• 1 month later...

Did you and the idiots that liked you even read what the OP said?

Jeez I see these mistakes all the time, concrete proof people see what they want to see.

Edited by alexis13

Did you and the idiots that liked you even read what the OP said?

Jeez I see these mistakes all the time, concrete proof people see what they want to see.

Yes I read the original post. Now get a grip and cool down.

Edited by rjshae
  • Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I don't see what "hands of light" has to do with religions.

Anyway, I think the OP is mixing religions and gods. All Paladin order in Eora are devoted to and hold certain things sacred, those things might not be related to an official practiced religions, but that doesn't mean they are any less "holy" to the Paladin order. Like the Goldpack and their contracts.

• Like 1

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

"Bleak" Walker - Hands of "Light".

Erm...

You wanted it to be called Glowy hands? It is called Hands of Light because it envelope people in light (based on the description, never tried it in the beta).

I'm not sure why Bleak Walkers Paladin shouldn't use it though, the fact that they are merciless mercenaries that leave a deathfield everywhere they go doesn't mean that they are masochists and fearless (Hands of Light is an upgrade to Lay on Hands, it adds the Courageous inspiration).

Erm...

You wanted it to be called Glowy hands? It is called Hands of Light because it envelope people in light (based on the description, never tried it in the beta).

I'm not sure why Bleak Walkers Paladin shouldn't use it though, the fact that they are merciless mercenaries that leave a deathfield everywhere they go doesn't mean that they are masochists and fearless (Hands of Light is an upgrade to Lay on Hands, it adds the Courageous inspiration).

I think they're referring to the name of the ability more than the attributes of it.

• Like 1

"If you would, you could become all flame" - Abba Joseph of the Desert Fathers.

I don't see what "hands of light" has to do with religions.

Anyway, I think the OP is mixing religions and gods. All Paladin order in Eora are devoted to and hold certain things sacred, those things might not be related to an official practiced religions, but that doesn't mean they are any less "holy" to the Paladin order. Like the Goldpack and their contracts.

The objection is to the allusion toward mysticism, which is intrinsic to all real world religions. Paladin's in PoE were more akin to warrior philosophers, which was rather novel really.

I happen to agree with them actually, as partial as I am to the traditional fantasy concept of paladins, it was refreshing to see them recast. Especially after the storyline of the first installment which left no doubt that while the the gods may be powerful and useful, they are certainly unworthy of veneration or worship. More than anything they all need to be taken out for the good of all humanity, and demi-humanity.

• Like 2

Erm...

I think they're referring to the name of the ability more than the attributes of it.

Bleak doesn't mean dark...

I think "Fanatical Slayer" Or "Crusading Cut-throat" in light of the OP's points made make better names.

Ya this was my point as soon as you say Holy...anyway while “hands of light” takes me back to the “light” for WoW type Paladins I guess it could mean something else. But the Holy Crusader thing is the biggest offender.

Have gun will travel.