The Political Quinceañera Thread

Blarghagh

Trump calls cop coward.

Aaaaaannnnnnnd the cop has already "retired". :lol:

am thinking cadet bone spurs calling out the cowardice o' others is a bit hypocritical, no? then again, if trump quit being comic hypocritical, he would need be silent on many relevant issues. 'tween pu$$y grab comments, knowing hiring o' illegals to build and work in his properties, skeevy exploitation o' charity status, russian pandering, and a whole host o' other issues, we might not hear from trump for another ~three years if he avoided overt hypocrisy.

oh, and silly comparisons to clinton and obama is not needed in a reply. we can get vacuous moral equivalency nonsense from putin and the transparent russia honks. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

How is it supposed to be a deterrent anyway it it's concealed.

I guess you assume everyone is armed.

convenience and accessibility is what makes handguns the real threat to people in this country, even if rifles get all the press.  fear the government, then rifles make more sense.  fear foreign invaders or indian massacres as were the fears o' founding fathers and rifles make more sense. want militia, then rifles make more sense.  wanna reduce stoopid homicides and suicides (which actual vast outnumber murders,) then rifles makes more sense as the firearm deserving protections.  a rifle is not so much an impulse weapon as is a handgun, and is gonna be making life less scary for cops to rid handguns and keep the rifles. 

I think the big gun control bugbear when I was growing up was less gang-bangers doing drive-bys, angry ex-husbands, or disgruntled workers shooting up the post office and more misfires and kids finding a loaded gun (or at least one that still had one round chambered) that wasn't stored properly and accidentally firing it.

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Trump calls cop coward.

Aaaaaannnnnnnd the cop has already "retired". :lol:

Well, all done and dusted before Trump spoke.  At least we got a tidbit that he was trying to place the gunfire.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Perhaps a better man would have rushed in to at least do something, even if it would come at the cost of his life as happened to Feis, but from the deputy's perspective he would have little idea as to whether he faced a lone gunmen or several (remember that the initial reports on the Newtown shooting claimed that were two active shooters) and listening to the gunfire one could easily conclude that in all likelihood he was vastly outmatched in firepower. And even at the moment of truth do not discount the possibility that even a trained person will blow it:

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

is probable good advice to avoid mentioning "hunting" and ch!ef executives, past or present, even in message board posts as various law enforcement agencies take a jaundiced view o' such humor.  keywords and phrases is easily misconstrued and misattributed. 

as to the cop who waited 4 minutes in fla, our first thought were wondering what the cop were trained to do in such a situation.  enter school and asses the situation? call in and wait for backup? am having no idea what is procedure or protocol.  am not actual certain what is considered reasonable or proper by experts. as such a scenario seems to be having a high charlie fox quotient, am inclined to not pass judgment w/o at least a little feedback from folks who know far more than Gromnir does 'bout such situations and what is deemed appropriate responses to such.

HA! Good Fun!

ps we got advice from a coach in college and unfortunate it stuck. "you are going to make mistakes, so make 'em at full speed." we try to be reflective as 'posed to reflexive, but we frequent find self taking action 'cause am subconscious imagining self running stadium stairs for hours if we hesitate.  in high pressure situations, we react as if it is better to do and be wrong than do nothing and be wrong. am wrong far too often, but is kinda reflexive. 

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

And our national, full body convulsion insanity fit continues unabated: https://reason.com/blog/2018/02/23/a-high-school-student-faces-expulsion-fo

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I think I read somewhere that Clinton used to hunt at and Obama supposedly did skeet shooting but I don't know about Trump. I guess he could wrassle it to death

Forgot about Dubya

lincoln for the win

Abraham Lincoln Was A Skilled Wrestler And World-Class Trash Talker

HA! Good Fun!

ps @ gd: is sad/funny to do searches for little kids who were suspended or expelled for making the finger-gun gesture at a school.  is not a singular oddity.  

Edited by Gromnir

Concerning Deputy Peterson, whatever opinion you have of what he did or did not do let me pose a question. If he were a fireman and the building was burning with kids trapped on the 2nd floor and he waited outside with a fire hose while they burned, would that change your opinion?

While he waited outside holding a firearm, wearing body armor, and with years of training, two unarmed teachers and at least one student who had none of those advantages sacrificed their own lives protecting others. It's worth remembering that.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

HA! Good Fun!

ps @ gd: is sad/funny to do searches for little kids who were suspended or expelled for making the finger-gun gesture at a school.  is not a singular oddity.  

This poor kid didn't even do that much. He just commented the radix a symbol used in math for some 700 years no is not more looked like a pistol. I guess we'll ban square roots and radicals from class now. It will make math a little easier for the kids. It will be problematic for the future advances in  science and engineering though. At least for American students. If someone mentions the + looks like a rifle cross hair maybe we can get addition banned too.

Thomas Sowell

Concerning Deputy Peterson, whatever opinion you have of what he did or did not do let me pose a question. If he were a fireman and the building was burning with kids trapped on the 2nd floor and he waited outside with a fire hose while they burned, would that change your opinion?

run headlong into a burning building w/o thinking might sound brave, but if all that happens is you add one more body to the pyre, or you create a situation whereby you make rescuing the children more difficult by your ill-advised rescue attempt, then no, am not in favor o' such.  two minutes later, when additional fireman arrive to aid rescue, they realize that not only has gd got himself stuck in the burning building and is needing rescue himself, but gd took needed first aid supplies (or whatever) which is gonna actual hamper the Real rescue attempt. thoughtless, brave or not, frequent makes a bad situation worse.  is a lesson we keep trying to learn.

if fireman training says you do not run into a burning building alone w/o knowing building layout or situation, then am not gonna criticize the fireman who stood outside impotent with his "hose" in his hand waiting for backup... even if kids die.  

so change fate. florida officer rushes into school and accidental kills a kid(s) or teacher(s) while getting himself wounded or dead and then we all shake heads sadly and lament his stoopidity, particular when pundits line up to be proclaiming the officer's recklessness and failure to follow protocol. "and this is why you never go into an unknown situation like that without backup."

am not a pundit.  am not knowing. am not saying the policeman were right to wait.  am not judging neither.

HA! Good Fun!

Do they really expect a single guard to take on an unknown number of assailants with an unknown quantity of unknown weapons with no knowledge of what's going on?

Robocop might be able to of course, but he ain't available.

And calls for arming teachers. If you are a teacher and arm yourself you had better be prepared to use it on the gunman, even seek out the gunman because sure as the sun will rise, your actions will be be the subject of debate in the public arena.

Ever since Columbine, the national narrative of law enforcement is you go in immediately in a school shooting, regardless of circumstance. Hard to believe thus guy did not get that memo. I hear it once a year as part of our staff training.

Ever since Columbine, the national narrative of law enforcement is you go in immediately in a school shooting, regardless of circumstance. Hard to believe thus guy did not get that memo. I hear it once a year as part of our staff training.

From what I've read they are to move with a team of 4, but solo if none are available. Seems there were some available as the cop being lynched was joined by 3 other Broward County cops who didn't move in. Seems like the BSO's gonna have some explaining to do.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

We've always had that. This bastard:

180215065134-nikolas-jacob-cruz-mugshot-

He is 100% responsible. Not the AR-15. Not Deputy Peterson. Not the BSO for not following up on tips and complaints. Not the FBI for the inability to locate a person posting online using their own name. Not Donald Trump, not the NRA, not the gun store, not Rick Scott, nobody is to blame except this bastard whose name I will not dignify by typing. Although you'd never know it watching the news.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 3

Thomas Sowell

HA! Good Fun!

This poor kid didn't even do that much. He just commented the radix a symbol used in math for some 700 years no is not more looked like a pistol. I guess we'll ban square roots and radicals from class now. It will make math a little easier for the kids. It will be problematic for the future advances in  science and engineering though. At least for American students. If someone mentions the + looks like a rifle cross hair maybe we can get addition banned too.

Better stop teaching vector product in high schools. Better safe than sorry.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

HA! Good Fun!

Better stop teaching vector product in high schools. Better safe than sorry.

It doesn't even vaguely look like a gun IMO, and yes the (over)reaction there was totally dumb.

"He is 100% responsible. Not the AR-15. Not Deputy Peterson. Not the BSO for not following up on tips and complaints. Not the FBI for the inability to locate a person posting online using their own name. Not Donald Trump, not the NRA, not the gun store, not Rick Scott, nobody is to blame except this bastard whose name I will not dignify by typing. Although you'd never know it watching the news."

Ban people

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

We've always had that. This bastard:

180215065134-nikolas-jacob-cruz-mugshot-

He is 100% responsible. Not the AR-15. Not Deputy Peterson. Not the BSO for not following up on tips and complaints. Not the FBI for the inability to locate a person posting online using their own name. Not Donald Trump, not the NRA, not the gun store, not Rick Scott, nobody is to blame except this bastard whose name I will not dignify by typing. Although you'd never know it watching the news.

Here's the question that begs answering though. What if you know there are going to be a lot more like him. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

HA! Good Fun!

gd kinda lives on the slippery slope, eh?  isn't necessarily a bad thing to see isolated examples o' silliness as harbingers o' impending doom.  the margins is indeed where battles for freedoms need be fought.  however, is best to recall that most tragedies, petite and grand, begin not with government conspiracies or corporate cabals bent on world domination, but rather is spawned by the comic alchemy o' poor judgement and mistake.  outlier stories always get disproportionate press, but so often the only real message is that even smart people can do woeful stoopid things.

am personal more cognizant o' the seeming mistakes which is repeated so often as to be representing trends or policy.  our job has us working at the margins.  violations o' first amendment rare happen where law is easily understood.  such failures, predictable, happen at the margins.  mistake occurs once is possible anomalous.  mistake is repeated a bunch a times might still be little more than a quirk o' statistical probability when one considers a population o' 325 million.  however, trends is genuine disturbing for us.

the gun element is not the silliness Gromnir sees in your example.  perhaps gd hears goose stepping stormtroopers coming ever closer when he reads a story 'bout an effort to control guns? right to bear arms has never been absolute and for much o' history, local limits on gun ownership and use were a given. thanks in part to the strength o the gun lobby, 21st century firearms protections is stronger than they has been for most o' our history.  the thing is, we see a pervasive evil in your linked story, but is only tangential related to guns. the actual issue we see is with zero tolerance school policies in general. 

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/education/queens-girl-hauled-school-handcuffs-caught-doodling-desk-article-1.194141#ixzz1D0s6Esse

teachers and administrators repeated come to absurd conclusions 'cause they believe they is following zero tolerance policies.  zero tolerance, as often as not, is a way for folks to wash their hands o' a hard responsibility.  kids get expelled for having a mini-bottle o' mouthwash 'cause o' zero tolerance alcohol policy. six year old is sent to a month-and-a-half reform school 'cause he brings his cub scout multi-utensil to school. multiple kids has been suspended in numerous states 'cause they possessed alka-seltzer in violation o' school zero tolerance drug policies. the "blade" on a set o' clippers for scrapping grime from underneath the leading edge o' a fingernail were enough to get a kid expelled for bringing a weapon (knife) to school. 

am not seeing a national nightmare o' insanity regarding guns.  gun ownership and use has rare benefited from so many protections.  the insanity is zero tolerance, which folks too often read as zero judgement.

*descends from soapbox*

HA! Good Fun!

ps edit- keep forgetting the US population is growing.  

Edited by Gromnir