The Political Quinceañera Thread

Blarghagh

Gromnir you mistake the target of my outrage on this one. Yes, I beat the drums hard on the specter of what follows gun control. Sometimes so hard the drumstick breaks. Prohibition and confiscation is far from imminent but also far from impossible at some point far down the line. One of the best ways to avoid ever going there is to fight like a mad mongoose every step of the way. But, as you said, the outrage here has nothing to do with the gun control debate.

You bring up the point the illogical application of zero tolerance. No argument here. But I'm more outraged by the root cause of it. This insane politically driven groupthink that is now threatening this kids future. There is no doubt in my mind the each and every individual teacher/school administrator who will review this case and pass whatever punishment they are going to hand him thinks that it is stupid to punish him over this. But they are going to do it anyway because not one of them will argue against it. The fact it's gone this far is shocking. Seeing someone who has done nothing other than make an offhand comment about a math symbol sacrificed in the name of... hell I don't even know what you'd call this... should just sicken everyone. 

This isn't even about violating rights. It's about doing something everyone knows is wrong and unjust, but still doing it anyway. It's some kind of collective madness going on not just in schools and taken to this extreme turns the whole notion into something else. It's like PC is some angry volcano god that demands society throw someone in the volcano every week. So everyone does it but each and every one KNOWS there is no angry volcano god even as they throw someone in.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Now we have the Democrats' memo, which confirms that Nunes' was a load of crap. And now Fox News says the Democrats should be more concerned with the Russian interference than taking political jabs. Maybe if you and your party stopped interfering with the investigation...

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Oh my God enough about the "Russian interference". The big evil plot was to have trolls makes fake memes and videos on social media and sell bogus info to stupid politicians. Hats off to them for getting paid for it at least. American political hacks have been doing it for free like a bunch of schmucks. If our electoral process is so easily subverted we might as well all go out and hang ourselves now. I mean really, who believes anything they read on the internet these days anyway? Except Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump I mean.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Hilariously, we wouldn't even be talking about this if Nixon Trump hadn't repeatedly fired or attempted to fire everyone looking into it. Could've been something that the FBI director was handling internally at the FBI...but then Trump fired him and said he fired him because of the Russian thing on Twitter. Talk about the height of stupidity.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Hilariously, we wouldn't even be talking about this if Nixon Trump hadn't repeatedly fired or attempted to fire everyone looking into it. Could've been something that the FBI director was handling internally at the FBI...but then Trump fired him and said he fired him because of the Russian thing on Twitter. Talk about the height of stupidity.

it is tending to be the coverup and the lies which get politicians in trouble as 'posed to the initial perceived evil.  can pull old Gromnir threads and see we has, from the start, predicted that whatever russia collusion did take place were gonna be banal and mostly due to ignorance and chaotic nature o' the trump campaign and administration.  real danger were gonna be trump's idiotic and reflexive desire to "fight back" by lying even when unnecessary and bullying those he perceives as his opponents. 

we don't care if the russia involvement in the campaign were minor, though use the troll farm indictments as indicative o' the entire russian scheme strikes us as naive-- 'course is gonna be the incompetents and b00bs who get caught firstest.  degree o' russian interference and their lack o' competence doesn't matter. isn't particular relevant.  1) were there at least some illegal involvement with russians by members o' the trump campaign?  2) did trump campaign/wh try and cover up such entanglements or hinder the investigation(s)? yes to both questions = deep p00p for trump... as it should be.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

For sure. Maybe a few of the people in his campaign would've eventually gotten busted for some of the shady financial dealings that went on during his campaign, but at this point over a hundred indictments have been filed against 19 people, with more to come. Firing Comey as he did magnified the investigation and its scope many times over.

Here's a fun table:

firefox_2018-02-24_19-32-37.png

It'll be neat to see the eventual totals for Trump. Off to a fast start (though not all of the 100 indictments can...yet...be laid on Trump's administration, since some of them were the Russian nationals who have not been established as being party to the Trump administration).

Edited by Bartimaeus

It's not against presidents, it's against administrations (see the top text) - though the presidents themselves are obviously included.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/1/11/1619079/-Comparing-Presidential-Administrations-by-Arrests-and-Convictions-A-Warning-for-Trump-Appointees

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

Better late than never, I guess.  You'd think people would know to not bother with that at work, but oh well.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

That picture always reminds me of Nicolas Cage. :lol:

It must be wonderful to go through life without ever being responsible for anything. :yes:

lol, Lexx was faster :)

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

There has been a fair amount of talk about how badly Lewinsky was treated by the media during the entire ordeal. But in terms of holding Clinton responsible at this point, he is no longer in a position of power and so there is fairly limited recourse. 

That picture always reminds me of Nicolas Cage. :lol:

What a surprise!

0-1-e1490268908256.jpg

You don't say!?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"