The Political Quinceañera Thread

Blarghagh

The Trump administration announced today that it would not enforce the sanctions voted on months ago nearly unanimously by Congress (98-2 in the Senate, 419-3 in the House...and signed in by the President). I guess that means we're in a constitutional crisis? I mean, we have checks and balances for dealing with this (impeachment via the legislative branch), but they almost certainly won't be taken, especially seeing as the GOP continues to put all its eggs in one basket in Trump, so...that'll be an interesting precedent.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

The Trump administration announced today that it would not enforce the sanctions voted on months ago nearly unanimously by Congress (98-2 in the Senate, 419-3 in the House...and signed in by the President). I guess that means we're in a constitutional crisis? I mean, we have checks and balances for dealing with this (impeachment via the legislative branch), but they almost certainly won't be taken, especially seeing as the GOP continues to put all its eggs in one basket in Trump, so...that'll be an interesting precedent.

the situation is not quite as clear as it is being reported in many places.  there is a provision in the 2017 legislation which allows the president to postpone sanctions 'pon entities which is scaling back those activities which would otherwise be demanding sanctions for their dealings with russian intelligence and military.  president needs effective repeat as he did today every 180 days and he can postpone sanctions indefinitely.

will be interesting to see what is done with the so-called oligarchs report. putin has been providing $billions in amnesty for those anticipatory oligarchs who repatriate their monies.  capital flight during the recent russian economic crisis were extreme and traumatic.  unfortunate, fear o' possible additional US sanctions of those identified in the oligarch report has been enough to drive many russian nogoodniks back to putin, which is exact the opposite o' what the legislation intended.

will be interesting to see what happens in the coming months.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

That seems pretty lame, but at least it sounds like a semi-legitimate squirming out of doing it. I am a little more concerned about the apparent groundwork that the GOP is laying as a reason to fire Rosenstein and Mueller. I don't see anything preventing them from getting away with it, either. Hmm. A few Republican senators might support protecting him and possibly re-appointing him, but unless they actually force a re-organization in the Senate, it'll never come to a vote.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Guys its Trumps  "State of the Union " address tonight

I am planning on watching, anybody else doing the same ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Meh, it's a farce. Political theater. The Panthers are playing the Islanders tonight. I'm much more interested in that. I'll read what he said later.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I thought that EPA was initialism of Environmental Protection Agency, but it seems that it more of Executive Priorities Agency  :dancing: 

http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/371190-records-show-epa-chiefs-role-in-removing-climate-web-pages

Records show EPA chief’s role in removing climate web pages

Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Administrator Scott Pruitt was personally involved in the process to remove sections on climate change from the agency’s website, records obtained by a green group show.

The Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) said the records it obtained via the Freedom of Information Act show a high degree of involvement by Pruitt in the April process of removing climate sections and replacing several of them with a section on President Trump’s executive order to roll back the Clean Power Plan.

Environmentalists have been highly critical of the EPA’s decision to remove the pages, some of which still haven’t been replaced and instead forward to a page about the removal process.

In one April email to colleagues in the EPA’s communications office, Lincoln Ferguson, an adviser to Pruitt, asks how close they are to removing and replacing the Clean Power Plan section.

“The Administrator would like it to go up ASAP. He also has several other changes that need to take place,” Ferguson wrote.

J.P. Freire, then the head of communications, responded, “You can tell him we ... are just finishing up.”

Ferguson then asked if the change could happen that day: “Just asking because he is asking.”

In another email change, Susan Fagan in the EPA’s Office of Environmental Information asks another staffer if people searching for the Clean Power Plan can be directed to the section on Trump’s climate executive order, which the staffer obliged.

The EDF said the records further prove the danger in hiding the climate information from the public.

“Obscuring information thwarts meaningful public participation in EPA’s work to protect Americans’ health and safety,” Ben Levitan, an EDF attorney, said in a statement. “It reinforces serious concerns that Pruitt has predetermined that he will repeal the Clean Power Plan, and that the current rulemaking process is a sham.”

EPA spokesman Jahan Wilcox defended the changes and said that the old information is still available to the public.

“We are constantly updating our website to reflect new initiatives and projects of the agency,” he said. “Of course the site will be reflective of the current administration’s priorities — with that said, all the content from the previous administration is still easily accessible and publicly available-through the banner across the top of our website: www.epa.gov.”

thehill, is that the librul equivalent of prietprat?

I don't think there is a "good" equivalent to Brietbart on the left. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of far left rags but none of them are nearly as popular or taken as seriously as the far right ones.

I'm sure some of our far right forum members will disagree but that's generally what I've found to be true 

Free games updated 3/4/21

That seems pretty lame, but at least it sounds like a semi-legitimate squirming out of doing it.

it is lame, as is the administration's "proof" supplied regarding russian and russian actor scaling back of illegitimate behaviors seems to fly in the face o' recent intelligence testimony... and as far as we can tell, there were no proof provided other than some kinda generalized observation 'bout how the passage o' the legislation has already acted as a deterrent. is all lame.  unfortunately, this is the kinda nonsense which happens when you got a chief executive who fancies himself as the next andrew jackson, sans the unnecessary clutter o' decades o' battlefield bravery and political arena experience.

to be fair, Congress abandoning its role for the past couple decades is part o' what made a trump presidency possible. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I thought HuffPo too but it's page rank is a little lower but similar to Breitbart and it's not as far left as BB is right. At least according to the bias stuff I posted a while back.

But yeah, I guess that'd be the closest though still not a good equivalent

I guess it's not surprising though as that study showed that the right gets it's news from less places than the left which of course means that the left is spread out between more sites.

And Salon while further left isn't even close in traffic

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

HuffPo probably has a similar reach to Breitbart. Actually probably even broader.

For what Alexa is worth, it says that Breitbart is actually quite a bit more visited than Huffpo these days.

That of course may change, and again.... for what Alexa, a company owned by Amazon, is worth....

The Hill is news paper, owned by registered republicans 

Would it be better if it was owned by registered Democrats?

Would it be better if it was owned by unregistered Republicans? Unregisted Democrats?

What about if it was owned by someone registered 'Independent'? Or unregistered?

Would it be better if it was owned by a business magnate mostly only interested in gaining more power, who buys and sells all of the aforementioned regularly to get what they want?

Or would a foreign business magnate up to the same be better?

Edited by Valsuelm

I'll bite. Tell me about Amazon.

Lots to be said there.

It's an online retailer, principally owned and run by Jeff Bezos.

If you're really interested in Amazon, I suggest getting really interested in Jeff Bezos.

Also, understand how the market works, it's history, and the impact of online retailing on the marketplace. Understanding how Jeff Bezos became the reported 'wealthiest person in the world', is of no small import, if one wants to learn about Amazon.

I was more interested in how the reputation that proceeds it casts concerns over Alexa's reporting.

I feel Amazon's brutal market operations would attempt to offer accurate services to anyone who would constitute a bidder.

Feel sorry for the Politifact guy trying to fact check this speech.

Okay, apparently one change to the ROE is the US will no longer tell its enemies its plans. Didn't think they did that.

Hm, wonder when soldiers started being called warriors.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Don't really recall it that much in speeches and such, at least before 9/11. Then again, probably a sampling thing as post 9/11 the US loves uniforms more than before, I guess, heh.

Interesting anecdote about the guy who got run over by a train and whose family had to eat dirt under the NK == Bad people section.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra