Politics Thread: Silicon Valley Edition

Blarghagh

Do feminists hold power over you?

do nazis hold power over you?

That's a bit of a false equivalence, because we've already seen what happens when nazis get power, while we only have your vague supposition that feminists are totally bad and authoritarian to go by. "It's an authoritarian idea because I envision they'll take away my freedom of speech and probably kill all men if they ever get into power" is not exactly the most shining proof of feminist authoritarianism.

well i can probably find some examples where we actually can see effects of authoritarian feminism in practice but its not that important. We know how authoritarian *insert whatever you don't like* end.

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Do feminists hold power over you?

do nazis hold power over you?

do hippies hold power over you?

do religious oligarchists hold power over you?

do ducks hold power over you?

not sure where you are heading with this

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Was everything supposed to snap into equality overnight?

No. Isn't that why feminism exists? To continue to drive equality?

Well either you accept that changes in society takes time or you implement laws which would be antithesis of equality (at least in original liberal sense - eg. equality of opportunity, not equality of outcome)

That's the point.

so ducks have some authoritarian ideology? Thats new to me, please enlighten me

No, but they have eyes just like feminists do. Either way still not really comparable at all.

Yes, if you say so it must be true :)

Wait...are we talking about the rare "full on equality" feminists or are we talking about the much much more common "equality as in special treatment that isn't equality and men are evilz!" feminists?

I was talking about 'third wave feminism' you know the one that didn't achieve its goals yet as opposed to second wave which I am completely fine with. That last one which contradict itself on every turn

Wait...are we talking about the rare "full on equality" feminists or are we talking about the much much more common "equality as in special treatment that isn't equality and men are evilz!" feminists?

How did you determine each group's size? Or is this some "everyone knows" tier ass pull?

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

No. Isn't that why feminism exists? To continue to drive equality?

I'm not following and I'm wary to get dragged into a discussion on the general concepts of "feminism". What I'm saying is, laws have been enacted to grant various civil equalities and , imo, it will take time to fully equalize in society.

• Like 2

thats where I am heading but I wanted to play with them for a while first, you ruined my fun :(

"Today these laws still have impact on women statuses in societies as general as they have made our societies such that we have much more rich men than women."

I am so proud of you two's ability to read what is written and how you don't let your preconception impact on how you interpret things. Good job  :thumbsup: 

thats where I am heading but I wanted to play with them for a while first, you ruined my fun :(

"Today these laws still have impact on women statuses in societies as general as they have made our societies such that we have much more rich men than women."

I am so proud of you two's ability to read what is written and how you don't let your preconception impact on how you interpret things. Good job  :thumbsup:

That is issue with history - it have impact on current events, have fun fighting with windmills

That second group is extremely small, they just shout louder than the vast majority. The former group is likely composed of almost every woman and hopefully a decent percentage of men.

Here is an easy test: How many "third wave feminists" have you actually met in real life? I can argue that pretty much every woman I know is a "second wave feminist" whereas the closest I get to a "third wave" type is friends of friends on facebook. 

Edited by Hurlshot

That is issue with history - it have impact on current events, have fun fighting with windmills

I started this conversation over this point

"Yeah it is outrageous statement, almost like patriarchy is holding women back right? :)"

By saying 

Patriarchy is holding women in back, but not necessary ways that people think when they hear the claim

and giving example why I think so

So who here is fighting windmills?

"Yeah it is outrageous statement, almost like patriarchy is holding women back right? :)"

By saying 

Patriarchy is holding women in back, but not necessary ways that people think when they hear the claim

Sorry I must seems dumb but is that example in that quote somewhere? Or was it that some decades ago women were disadvantaged?

Edited by Chilloutman

Using Ben's example of divorce, how many wife's who were stay at home moms or didn't make anywhere near what the husband made be okay with the husband keeping the house/car/boat/land/etc he paid for that she didn't?

How many women think the court system should be overhauled to not be biased towards women when it comes to kids?

How many women are okay with the man NOT paying on the first date? How many women think its equally wrong to slap a man like it is for a man to slap a woman?

I'll conceed that the "men are evilz" is small but a majority of feminists are in the "special treatment equal equality" from what I have seen.

Excuse me, but if you stuck your **** into a woman for years on end, while also maintaining your status as the „moneymaker“ of the family; her welfare becomes your responsibility.

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Excuse me, but if you stuck your **** into a woman for years on end, while also maintaining your status as the „moneymaker“ of the family; her welfare becomes your responsibility.

I don't think that should have anything to do with anything.

Imo, stay at home moms are bringing value to the family. Not with monetary income, but otherwise.

• Like 3

Feminism, by its very nature, is sexist. It is in the word. A group that uses a sexist word is automatically sexist. Plus, most mdoernf eminists don't give a crap about equality.  Theya re about hating men AND women.

As for marriage and divorce. It is real simple. Marriage is about two people joining together in harmony. Divorce is about the break up of said marriage which means when you divorce there should be no sharing of anything.

You marry you get everything your partner has. You divorce you get nothing.

ASfterall, the logic makes no sense.   People expect divorced  breadwinners (men or even women nowadays) to still give money to their ex partner. But, nobody expects the other person to still clean the house, raise any new kids they may get, or have sex with them.  LMAO

Divorce should be a clean break. PERIOD.

Marriage is the choice of togetherness. Divorce is the choice of separation. PERIOD.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

By saying 

Sorry I must seems dumb but is that example in that quote somewhere? Or was it that some decades ago women were disadvantaged?

"Patriarchy is holding women in back, but not necessary ways that people think when they hear the claim

Like for example it isn't even half century ago when in many (western) countries women could not actually own credit card, bank account etc. things without man co-signing those.

It also wasn't that long ago when in many (western) countries inheritance laws jump over women in favor of male relatives (and some times male cousin could be higher in line than actual daughter of deceased).

It isn't also that long when we had laws in many (western) countries that moved ownership of things that woman owned to her husband if she married.

Today these laws still have impact on women statuses in societies as general as they have made our societies such that we have much more rich men than women."

But I probably have mistaken and historic disadvantages don't cause any disadvantages today, which is why it is fair to say that Czechs are just lazier people than Finns as average Czech is so much poorer than average Finn. :devil:  

Is patriarchy that special group that is so pro men that it sends large groups of men to die in wars while letting the women hang back at home.   Man. If that is 'pro man and anti women'. L0L

A true pro male patriarchy would send the women to do the dirty work.   Afterall, the patriarchy likes to mock women  supposedly losing their desireability in all but extreme cases so why wouldn't they send older women to war? LOGIC. Use it.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Using Ben's example of divorce, how many wife's who were stay at home moms or didn't make anywhere near what the husband made be okay with the husband keeping the house/car/boat/land/etc he paid for that she didn't?

How many women think the court system should be overhauled to not be biased towards women when it comes to kids?

How many women are okay with the man NOT paying on the first date? How many women think its equally wrong to slap a man like it is for a man to slap a woman?

I'll conceed that the "men are evilz" is small but a majority of feminists are in the "special treatment equal equality" from what I have seen.

What do you mean by special treatment? 

You seem to be implying that being a gentlemen and treating women equal are somehow at odds. On the contrary, I'd say they go hand in hand. If I ask a woman out on a date, I'm going to hold the door open, pay for the meal, and not sexually harass her. But realistically I'd do the same thing if I asked a male friend out to dinner, except maybe the door thing because that is weird. This has very little to do with equal pay or legitimate equality issues.

I agree courts should not be biased towards women in regards to kids. I'd say we've come pretty far in that regard, at least in California according to all my divorced friends.

Is patriarchy that special group that is so pro men that it sends large groups of men to die in wars while letting the women hang back at home.   Man. If that is 'pro man and anti women'. L0L

A true pro male patriarchy would send the women to do the dirty work.   Afterall, the patriarchy likes to mock women  supposedly losing their desireability in all but extreme cases so why wouldn't they send older women to war? LOGIC. Use it.

I believe most feminists WANT women to be able to join the army on equal terms with men. You paint war as a negative thing, and I agree, but the deal here is more a case of "another thing men are allowed to, while women aren't regarded as capable enough". "Feminism" simply wants equal opportunities.