You did WHAT Today

Blarghagh

It's easy to shrug everything off as not being all that important. And you get easily branded a hypochondriac, but it doesn't hurt getting a check up when you have an issue. Even if it is a small thing, you can still manage to reduce it to a couple of days where otherwise you'd be under the weather for a week.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I'm at a point in life where I'm scheduled to get a yearly MRI. I have no problem going to the doctor, it's the bills that worry me. But since I have insurance (thanks Obama!), a simple visit to the general practitioner isn't as scary as it used to be.

• Like 3
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Never heard of an annual MRI. I'm getting closer to the dreaded prostate exam but thank god they keep pushing the recommended age further out. I'm hoping science will come up with a better method than sticking a finger up my butt before I get to that age. :lol:

Maybe.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/610008/a-cheap-and-easy-blood-test-could-catch-cancer-early/

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Never heard of an annual MRI.

A seemingly benign lump on an internal organ will do that to you. Gotta keep an eye on it and make sure it stays benign.

What age do you have to do the prostate exam? I'm almost 40, I assume it is soon. :(

Iirc, 50+. 

Ive also seen a "poop-in-a-box-and-mail-it-to-a-lab" version. 

A seemingly benign lump on an internal organ will do that to you. Gotta keep an eye on it and make sure it stays benign.

Ah. *fingers crossed for you*

Doctor said I just have vertigo. Here's some exercises and a prescription. No flu, no ear infection.

• Like 2

My father has/had some sort of inner ear problem, some sort of crystal formation in the inner ear wich causes dizziness problems. He had alot of problem with G-forces causing him these dizziness spells and he really hated heavy acceleration or breaking, wich was sort of a boon when I was learning to drive, forced me to drive smoothly.

Don't know if he still has it since he hasn't mentioned anything about it in ages.

Also; Loved that story Melkathi ^^

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I'm furloughed. 

The U.S. federal gov't "shutdown" means that I can show up at the office tomorrow to perform "orderly shutdown procedures" and no more.  The challenge this time around that wasn't an issue during the last shutdown is child care.  The boys are both in the daycare facility in my building.  The center is funded by tuition, but it relies on building maintenance, security, etc., so it shuts down when the (bulk of the) agency does.  They'll be open until midafternoon tomorrow, but then not until an appropriation of some kind is enacted.  Which means that I'll be finding some way to entertain two kids under 4 all day, by myself, while Mrs. Enoch goes to her private-sector job as normal.  I'm sure we'll survive and all, but this is not exactly going to be relaxing time off.

The 2013 shutdown was a lot less scary.  All I had to deal with then was a pregnant wife who was a little cheesed because I got to stay home and goof off while she worked all day. 

What to do tomorrow is my present puzzle. "Orderly shutdown procedures" probably won't take me more than a half-hour, but I'll be damned if I'm not going to take advantage of paid-for childcare while I can.  So, I drop the boys off, do my minor work stuff, and then what?  Probably isn't worth commuting home and back.  The movie theater near the office doesn't open until noon.  The museums are closed.  I guess I bring a book or two and find somewhere to hang out? 

Edited by Enoch

While the shutdown might shift around some money, and maybe even trim the budget a bit. It really seems like in terms of total economic value, it is nothing but a loss.

Are there any expectations for how long this is supposed to last?

Oh, it's a budgetary loss, too.  All these special arrangements take staff time to work out, it makes planning future operations really hard, and they've always gone ahead and paid salaries for furloughed employees after the fact.  There's some basis for optimism that this one should be short-lived, but nobody really knows anything. 

I'll stop there, as I don't want to risk the politics thread spilling over into this one. 

• Like 1

How long was the shutdown the last time? Also, will this happen every time now? How does America plan to prevent this from happening yet again?

Was a weird night. I've dreamed that I have a ferret. The ferret was all energetic and stuff. Peed on the floor, too, which made me go crazy, because I didn't know how to deal with it, because I actually didn't want a ferret. The ferret was just there and then it was mine and I had to deal with it. Madness.

Now I kinda want a ferret.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

How long was the shutdown the last time? Also, will this happen every time now? How does America plan to prevent this from happening yet again?

17 days. 

The Constitution requires that no funds be drawn from the Treasury except in consequence of an appropriation made by law.  The laws providing a substantial portion of the appropriations that fund ordinary operations of federal entities have expired, and Congress and the President have not enacted an extension or replacement.  It's hard to plan around that, outside of electing people who are more willing to compromise with each other. 

Weird dream, but at least it woke me up early. I guess somehow watching an Imagine Dragons music video put the idea of a dogfighting ring in my head and I came up with some dream about killing pretty much everyone involved.  The bit about executing the last guy as he'd pleading for his life probably is what woke me up, heh.

My immediate coworkers have gone full cliche as we've all independently begun listening to gangster rap at work.  :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

My neighbor (that is the closest house to mine) is selling his place. He called me today and asked if I wanted to buy it. He has 44 acres. Yeah... don't I wish! I think that will be a bit beyond my means.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I know I'm having a bad day when 'its not across the street, its down the road' repeats in the back of my mind. Mental illness sucks the big one.

I'm having similar hardships, **** keeps piling up at the moment, ontop of that I'm getting stiffed out of overtime pay by my bosses (I'm talking, literally, several days worth of overtime I did).

Atleast I have thursday and friday off.

Got a letter today from an old hopeless crush I had. She's getting married and wants me to be there. Don't know if I'm happy or sad about that. I'm really annoyed that it's a themed wedding though, I really don't have the energy to dress up.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Huh, damn. Got contacted by Swedish Radio and I've been asked to be interviewed about my critique of lootboxes. Don't know if I have time for that, and I don't know if I have enough meat on my bones to not make a fool of myself. :blush:

• Like 3

That sucks, Az. Hope you pull through and your jerk bosses pay what they owe.

What's the wedding theme?

EDIT: Scammers phoned me pretending to be the IRS to get bank info from me. Little did they know I'm not even American (apparently this Indian fella doesn't understand how phone numbers work) so I just had fun keeping them on the phone and annoying them and giving them fake info. It helps that I have very little to no accent despite being European. I feel like they caught on once I gave them accounts consisting of numbers such as 69-69696969. They dutifully kept listening as I regaled them with exciting tales of ingrown toenails and abcesses though - I rate 7/5 for patience.

Edited by TrueNeutral
  • Like 2

Why would they contact you? Did you made some lengthy forum post about this or something? :>

Sweden is quite small and very quiet, they've probably overheard him talking about it loudly at home.

Haha! Not to far off actually, I wrote an angry letter to the lotteryinspection(Subgroup of the Ministry of Finance) office demanding they do something about it. The reporter had looked for people voicing complaints about lootboxes, so she looked me up. :)

That sucks, Az. Hope you pull through and your jerk bosses pay what they owe.

What's the wedding theme?

EDIT: Scammers phoned me pretending to be the IRS to get bank info from me. Little did they know I'm not even American (apparently this Indian fella doesn't understand how phone numbers work) so I just had fun keeping them on the phone and annoying them and giving them fake info. It helps that I have very little to no accent despite being European. I feel like they caught on once I gave them accounts consisting of numbers such as 69-69696969. They dutifully kept listening as I regaled them with exciting tales of ingrown toenails and abcesses though - I rate 7/5 for patience.

Yeah, so do I, and I hope you get through it aswell. :)

Don't think I'm going to get that money, there is no way for me to prove it since they won't allow me to access the security footage to prove I was there during those times. I'm going to the union to start pushing them to get a punch clock, because having the bosses **** up our wages (Not only mine...) each ****ing month is getting on my nerves.

Theme is LotR, no orcs allowed :(