Politics - Jason X

Amentep

Hey everyone. Remember when someone said "when Ben & Guard Dog agree on something we should listen"? It just happened again.

:lol: 

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Hey everyone. Remember when someone said "when Ben & Guard Dog agree on something we should listen"? It just happened again.

:lol:

Wasn't Sharp One part of that formula? Or was he optional? But honestly, he might even agree

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

lol @ the two memos that Trump's attorneys pre-emptively sent to Mueller to defend Trump against possible obstruction of justice charges. The Nixon defense - obstruction of justice laws do not apply to the president - and slandering Comey's character. Yeah, I'm sure those arguments are really giving Mueller pause. :dancing:

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

In California, there are over 500,000 people per electoral college vote. in Wyoming, there are over 140,000 people per electoral college vote. That is a pretty massive difference in voting power. Voters are marginalized in the more populated states, even with the big chunk of electoral college votes they get.

That being said, I totally agree the winner take all system is dumb. But if you really want to give everyone a say, get rid of the electoral college all together and of with a popular vote system. Of course, that will dramatically increase the voting power of certain states, because certain states have way more people.

I'm by no means an expert on American society, but I don't think it's wise to marginalise practically the entire rural population, not only since that will make them quite prone to radicalisation, but also considering that these are, at least as far as my admittedly limited understand goes, the guys who win your wars. It just seems a bit ungrateful to have them shoot and die for the US and not even give them a significant say in politics.

The thing is, that's exactly what happened. You might have seen talk about the urban/rural divide and I bet it was discussed at some point here, that's the same thing you're talking about. It's not a one-election phenomenon, it's been happening over decades and has gotten to a point where people are really noticing.

And it's not just the US either, it's a global phenomenon, you can see it in Brexit.

Edited by smjjames

21151599_810876255741913_474324172608398

The only response I can come up with is this:

200_s.gif

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I do find it hilarious that the same people who whine about so called 'cultural appropriation' never seem to whine about 'culturally appropriating' from whitey mcwhitey.

Seriously,  people enjoying different cultures is a GOOD thing. PERIOD.

• Like 3

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Good burritos are where you find them.

Thomas Sowell

there is more to the story... but not much.  two girls, in an attempt to publicize their new burrito biz, tell the tale o' how they learned the tortilla making trade. 'posedley they "peeked in the window" of every abuela they could find, and asked every hispanic woman they could, for the secrets o' tortilla construction.  most o' the Latinas our intrepid millennials met were less than forthcoming, but slowly the girls unlocked the secret o' the perfect tortilla.  

now obvious the story is a whole lotta hogwash, and Gromnir mighta' added a little pt barnum (not much) to the tale, but then one person responded to the girl's story o' tortilla mastery by questioning the ethics o' their quest.  taking the cooking secrets o' these Mexican women for profit, w/o any kinda compensation, seemed rather exploitive to one observer.

next thing you know, the girls and their tall tale has landed 'em smack dab in the middle o' the kinda petit civil rights battles which happens so frequent these days.  

"Some recent campus actions border on the surreal. In April, at Brandeis University, the Asian American student association sought to raise awareness of microaggressions against Asians through an installation on the steps of an academic hall. The installation gave examples of microaggressions such as “Aren’t you supposed to be good at math?” and “I’m colorblind! I don’t see race.” But a backlash arose among other Asian American students, who felt that the display itself was a microaggression. The association removed the installation, and its president wrote an e-mail to the entire student body apologizing to anyone who was “triggered or hurt by the content of the microaggressions.”" Atlantic, September, 2015

​*shrug*

the headline gd shares leaves out the actual exploitation complaint which were central to the brouhaha in question, but ultimately the battle were still kinda silly. am personal left flaccid by triggers and microaggressions and the majority o' similar such nonsense.  is so minor and ridiculous considering the actual racial problems which persist in this country.

​in any event, there is more to the story, but not much.

​HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

You guys invested far more thought into that than I ever intended. It was really just supposed to illicit a chuckle at the absurdity of it rather than analyze it. I like the Washington Post. I read it everyday on my Kindle. And like other newspapers these days it has more than it's fair share of absurdity that it treats as serious subject matter. Which is itself absurd. 

This whole micro-aggression sensitivity business is just the latest bucket of large male bovine nightsoil that self indulgent college kids engage in. I think they will find this incessant navel gazing won't be tolerated once they have to get actual jobs. 

Thomas Sowell

Korean Barbecue is awful though.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

On the law enforcement aspect...

NBC - Utah nurse arrested for refusing to give a patient's blood to police without a warrant

A Utah nurse who refused to give a patient's blood to police — and then was handcuffed and carried into a patrol car in an escalating incident — held an emotional news conference Thursday demanding better training by law enforcement.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Get with the program Raithe, we are a page into that discussion on the weird news thread. :p

Ah, see, to me that slides politics not weird news..   That and juggling too many things to pay attention to everything. ;)

Edit: And I probably got distracted by the korean bbq.

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/forceful-chief-of-staff-grates-on-trump-and-the-feeling-is-mutual/ar-AAr6yp4?ocid=spartanntp

in any other presidential admin, we would be dubious 'bout the wisdom o' having so many military folks close to the oval office.  the founding fathers were afeared of nothing more than tyranny... tyranny o' the majority, tyranny of a king, tyranny of o' any kind o' consolidated power 'cross multiple branches o' government. there is the potential, particular in time o' crisis, for military folks to see it as their duty to place preservation o' the nation ahead o' the the demands o' the Constitution. tyranny.

the thing is, the military guys in white house is amongst the few visible and empowered individuals in the current administration we trust to put the needs o' the country first 'mongst their priorities.  is the military guys who will, we suspect, endure trump if for no other reason than they know their absence would leave the wh empty o' reasonable voices willing to express disagreement with the President. 

mcmaster is smart and articulate. mattis is almost as smart as mcmaster, and his no-nonsense attitude is a welcome alternative to the endemic dissembling o' the current administration. kelly made four stars as a mustang and while am not necessarily agreeing with his politics, we have no questions 'bout his commitment or competence. these guys, and a few o' their guys, is the folks who give us any hope for the administration.  

am worried 'bout lack o' political savvy as no amount o' guts and brains can complete makeup for lack o' experience on the part o' mcmaster, mattis and kelly.  the executive branch is enormous and does not function like the military. Congress won't be bullied by a President with approval ratings in the 30s and 40s, but the military guys have negligible experience working with Congress. etc.

military guys in the wh bother Gromnir on a reptile brain kinda level-- is almost instinctual.  every cell and neuron scream warning 'bout  an expansive military presence in the wh. nevertheless, the only thing keeping us from metaphorical climbing into a bunker and refusing to emerge 'til 2020 is the generals in the wh current doing their duty.  is a curious conflict o' emotion and reason.

HA! Good Fun! 

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/forceful-chief-of-staff-grates-on-trump-and-the-feeling-is-mutual/ar-AAr6yp4?ocid=spartanntp

in any other presidential admin, we would be dubious 'bout the wisdom o' having so many military folks close to the oval office.  the founding fathers were afeared of nothing more than tyranny... tyranny o' the majority, tyranny of a king, tyranny of o' any kind o' consolidated power 'cross multiple branches o' government. there is the potential, particular in time o' crisis, for military folks to see it as their duty to place preservation o' the nation ahead o' the the demands o' the Constitution. tyranny.

the thing is, the military guys in white house is amongst the few visible and empowered individuals in the current administration we trust to put the needs o' the country first 'mongst their priorities.  is the military guys who will, we suspect, endure trump if for no other reason than they know their absence would leave the wh empty o' reasonable voices willing to express disagreement with the President. 

mcmaster is smart and articulate. mattis is almost as smart as mcmaster, and his no-nonsense attitude is a welcome alternative to the endemic dissembling o' the current administration. kelly made four stars as a mustang and while am not necessarily agreeing with his politics, we have no questions 'bout his commitment or competence. these guys, and a few o' their guys, is the folks who give us any hope for the administration.  

am worried 'bout lack o' political savvy as no amount o' guts and brains can complete makeup for lack o' experience on the part o' mcmaster, mattis and kelly.  the executive branch is enormous and does not function like the military. Congress won't be bullied by a President with approval ratings in the 30s and 40s, but the military guys have negligible experience working with Congress. etc.

military guys in the wh bother Gromnir on a reptile brain kinda level-- is almost instinctual.  every cell and neuron scream warning 'bout  an expansive military presence in the wh. nevertheless, the only thing keeping us from metaphorical climbing into a bunker and refusing to emerge 'til 2020 is the generals in the wh current doing their duty.  is a curious conflict o' emotion and reason.

HA! Good Fun! 

You were not alone. Back when Trump was still President-elect and some hoped that he would grow into the office and it was not entirely clear  just how much of a disaster his administration would be (or at least to those who haven't been paying attention for the 30 odd years Trump has been a public figure) even national defence-minded folks were sounding alarm bells over generals in the cabinet. I suppose one should be grateful that Trump could not have bothered to have watched any of McMaster or Mattis' panels, as he seems to be under the impression that to a man US generals are MacArthur when in fact those two in particular are more Marshall and, dare I say it, even have shades of Smedley Butler.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

That's funny since there were voices calling for military coup to stop Trump. Now they are "afraid" of the military in the WH.

HA!Good Fun!

you do realize those voices in your head ain't real, yes? but yes, who can forget the narrowly avoided military coup o' 2017.  only kellyanne conway had the courage to discuss the bowling green massacre. the deep-state controlled mass media pretended as if bowling green never happened... which it didn't, but it could have. sure, the media jumps on every Presidential blunder, but where were they when a story about a coup which didn't happen, but theoretically could have happened (but not really) failed to actual materialize anywhere save for in the darker places of sharp's brain. where was the media when it mattered?

never forget the Bowling Green Massacre. the blood of those forgotten heroes, blood which was never shed because the heroes didn't exist (but they could have) will never be washed away from this nation's collective psyche. regardless, we all died a little on February 2, 2017. never forget. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps you just can't help self insofar as the wacky generalization nonsense is concerned, eh?  

"you do realize those voices in your head ain't real, yes?"

L0L Certain Libtards *did* call for a military coup. Of course the military ignored the calls but that isn't the point. People *did* call for a military coup. Just deal with it that there are some psycho people out there (on both sides).

R00fles!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.