Movies You've Seen (or would like to see) Recently

Rosbjerg

TLJ:

I don't have a problem with Rey's parents being nobodies, but I find it odd that Rian Johnson went so far as to have them sell her into slavery (we thought for a movie and a half that Luke was a farmer's son; it wouldn't be a horrible twist, imo, if it turned out she was the orphan of farms). Of all the middle fingers to the audience, that was the one that really irritates me.

Edited by the_dog_days

TLJ:

I don't have a problem with Rey's parents being nobodies, but I find it odd that Rian Johnson went so far as to have them sell her into slavery (we thought for a movie and a half that Luke was a farmer's son; it wouldn't be a horrible twist, imo, if it turned out she was the orphan of farms). Of all the middle fingers to the audience, that was the one that really irritates me.

I actually kind of dig that concept. That people can earn greatness rather than being born into it is actually a good message to be propagating (though in the hall of mirrors part I sort of thought maybe it was hinting at her being conceived by Midichlorians or something). But I find it a little odd that people think that Rey's parents being junkies is something that's set in stone. After all, how would Kylo even know? For all we know that was just something he said just to get under Rey's skin.

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Ok, I watched Alien Nation: LotR Edition er I mean, Bright. The first hour was just slightly interesting enough to keep my attention but it quickly bored me after that and I started fast forwarding in small increments until the end. Couldn't get Alien Nation (1988 film, not the TV series) out of my head even if it's fantasy races and a Wand instead of a single alien race and Drugs. Same done to death cop buddy concept, same tolerance messages, same dark/gritty atmosphere and two good actors who try their best with what amounts to a potentially interesting idea but with mediocre/half-baked material. It's not that it's bad, it just bored me, despite all its attempts to convince me it was something fresh. Smith and Edgerton didn't have much chemistry imo, and although there was one pretty effective scene in that first hour, most of it falls flat, with a lot of actors/chrs. wasted with little to do but make faces at the camera lens. I can see it being a sort of cult film in the long run tho, had that sort of appeal.

Of all the reviews I read, only one mentioned Alien Nation, which made me feel old. I guess Suicide Squad and LotR jokes are more relatable now.

Bright was a good pilot for a CW show.

Wait, you're telling me it was a movie?

Haha, that made me laugh.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

To be honest, sometimes I feel kinda bad that I don't seem to enjoy a lot of (US) movies these days. Feels like I would've liked some of them 20 years ago. Ever since CGI became the dominant factor however, most (blockbuster) US movies have slowly become items that make me feel nothing and if I feel nothing, I'm bored. They're mostly just sound and fury or visual assaults and/or "isn't this cool." Which was definitely fun at first but...

I need to rent/watch Dunkirk soon. I have high hopes I'll like that one. :)

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm not a big war film fan per se. There's just certain themes or historical events that interest me so I'll check one out, or if they're just well crafted suspense/drama type films that happen to be set during a wartime.

As to what changed ... I just chalk it up to "time". Time changes us all in so many little and often unpredictable ways even as our basic core may largely remain the same.

Ok, I watched Alien Nation: LotR Edition er I mean, Bright. The first hour was just slightly interesting enough to keep my attention but it quickly bored me after that and I started fast forwarding in small increments until the end. Couldn't get Alien Nation (1988 film, not the TV series) out of my head even if it's fantasy races and a Wand instead of a single alien race and Drugs. Same done to death cop buddy concept, same tolerance messages, same dark/gritty atmosphere and two good actors who try their best with what amounts to a potentially interesting idea but with mediocre/half-baked material. It's not that it's bad, it just bored me, despite all its attempts to convince me it was something fresh. Smith and Edgerton didn't have much chemistry imo, and although there was one pretty effective scene in that first hour, most of it falls flat, with a lot of actors/chrs. wasted with little to do but make faces at the camera lens. I can see it being a sort of cult film in the long run tho, had that sort of appeal.

Of all the reviews I read, only one mentioned Alien Nation, which made me feel old. I guess Suicide Squad and LotR jokes are more relatable now.

Bright was a good pilot for a CW show.

Wait, you're telling me it was a movie?

Haha, that made me laugh.

I knew it reminded me of another show, but for the life of me I couldn't remember the name,, Alienation cheers!

Thanks for shopping Pawn-O-Matic!

The wife and I watched Dirty Harry last night. I hadn't seen it and she thought it was a western because it was a 70s Eastwood flick. The police stuff is unrealistic, of course, but it was actually a pretty good film. I'd have to think some of the scenes might have put it dangerously close to x-rated in the 70s, but who knows? The police stuff was crap, but the view of society and racial and social interactions were interesting. It was almost prescient in depicting the wave of violence that was building in the 70s and crested in the late 80s and early 90s. All my young friends tell me about how much worse it is now than it was when I was younger and then I tell them how many people I knew by the time I was their age who'd died violently. I've never seen any of the films, but some scenes are classics and so I'd seen a lot of the film without seeing the whole thing. My wife's cousin gave us a bunch of old films and all four Dirty Harry films are in it. We'll probably watch the next one tonight or tomorrow.

• Like 2

χαίρετε

Holy ****e, just came back from The Last Jedi... easily the worst movie in the whole 8 episodes... never thought another movie from SW series can beat episode one... but there we have the winner... Episode 8...

I won't get to spoilers, but the amount of facepalms i had was probably the most on any movie I've willingly paid money to see it in a Cinema and wasn't dragged by any lady on it...

The first ten minutes were decent, until the first space jump, then it went only downhill...

Edited by Darkpriest

Come on, it's not as bad as 1 and 2. I tried rewatching those and couldn't stop feeling embarrassed for everyone involved :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Star Wars took a huge hit in my estimation with Pod Racing. Well, the first hit was probably ewoks. Vicious hateful little beasts. One of my extended in laws complained about vegetarianism with the wookie and inter-racial relationships. Apparently, something "almost" made him want to see a

Fin/new Jedi chic relationship instead of some white guy and Asian?

idiot stick.

I swear I have Satan's own phone. Damned spell correct.

Edited by Epaminondas

χαίρετε

I thought Last Jedi was mediocre but I'd still rate it third in the series, after Empire and New Hope. :huh:

But then, I find Star Wars hugely overrated disposable entertainment and nobody ever seems to agree with me. My ranking would be:

Empire > New Hope > Last Jedi > Force Awakens > Revenge > Phantom Menace > Return > Clones > Ewok Battle for Endor > Ewok Adventure > Holiday Special > Rogue One.

• Like 2

I can't take that list seriously

Phantom Menace is the worst and should always be bottom 3 :p

PS I totally agree that Star Wars isn't all that but I have fond memories of the original trilogy because I grew up with them. The prequels are a dumpster fire and the Disney stuff, while beautiful, doesn't really get by on its own merits 

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Eh, Phantom Menace never bothered me as much as most people and I love its dedication to the idea of space fantasy in terms of design. Only New Hope was as unabashedly fantasy. Some of the worst acting and pacing though.

It's funny because I had this issue with Raiders of the Lost Ark a few years or so ago when I tried to rewatch it. My memory did not recall the horrible editing I kept noticing and I found myself wondering if I had a bad copy. Ever since I can't make myself watch it anymore, and I absolutely adored that movie.

Editing is done so differently these days, one forgets the way they often did it back then. I don't mean technical improvements ... just stylistically.

As to Star Wars, the first one (still not New Hope, to me, ever) is really the only one that stood up for me over the years. And even then I acknowledge it's because I was 9 when I saw it (it has some of the editing issues of that era as well, on hindsight). Prequels had some fun action but was otherwise a big joke as far as I was concerned. Was not overly impressed with the first one in the new trilogy, probably won't even watch the 2nd when it comes to HBO or whatever. Just like Star Trek, SW is dead to me now. :p

• Like 1

Honestly, I can't remember that I was ever able to watch ANY Star Wars movie in just one go. They always lost me at some point. I do understand some of their appeal, but I think it just went way overboard nowadays. Like, it became bigger than it was ever worth it, and now it's everywhere.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Wife and I watched Dirty Harry 2. I think it was Magnum Enforcer or something. I think it's interesting. The first movie, for all it's use of racial epithets, Harry had a Hispanic partner with a white wife. In the second movie, he had a black partner and his 'girl-friend' was Asian. The actual police work seems goofy to me personally (having been around cops for most of my life), but the show is kind of like Hurlshot sees Star Wars. It's just fun. At the end of the day, that's all that matters. Wrote a long diatribe (which used to mean simply a pastime in days loooooong past) about Star Wars. Decided to censor myself and not face you all with a wall of text.

• Like 1

χαίρετε