Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

No more salvage?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

thelee

thelee

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1143 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Recently got this on steam. Is there no more an option to salvage cards now that we have the collection? Looking at older threads, it looked like it was an important thing to be able to do for people who wanted to placate the RNG gods for farming for specific cards.

Is there any way to do this now? Deliberate change?

Janzu

Janzu

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 24 posts

You can still Salvage cards - You can do this by going to campaign mode via edit decks

• w19913s likes this

stbassy

stbassy

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 21 posts
Isn't that salvaging the play-deck..... as opposed to salvaging from the collection / box ?
I believe the two are different. Unless if I've mistaken something.
  • Ethics Gradient likes this

Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1560 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Isn't that salvaging the play-deck..... as opposed to salvaging from the collection / box ?
I believe the two are different. Unless if I've mistaken something.

You are somewhat correct.

In previous versions of the app, you could go to the Gallery/Vault/Collection to Salvage unwanted treasure cards to permanently remove them from your account in exchange for some gold.  Being able to chose cards to salvage is something that is not presently in v1.2.6.x.

The other Salvage during the post-game screen doesn't permanently remove cards from your Collection or "game box."  Instead of keeping those cards in your deck, you are essentially selling them back to the game.  In the process, they do not get destroyed or removed from the game permanently.  Think of it more like a post-game bonus if you scored a lot of boons during a scenario.

Edited by Ethics Gradient, 20 June 2017 - 04:35 PM.

• w19913s likes this

MrBishop

MrBishop

Programmer

• Developers
  • 165 posts

So while we await an official response from the BAdler, salvaging as you knew it prior to 1.2.6 is gone. You can no longer manipulate the contents of your Collection. 

• Hannibal_PJV, Ethics Gradient and w19913s like this

Sogarth

Sogarth

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 18 posts
That's... completely ridiculous. It deliberately penalizes people who have opened lots of chests, because it makes it harder for them to get the good cards they've drawn. So after deciding to leave the F2P approach on Steam, the next decision was to make that platform even less appealing?

Sogarth

Sogarth

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 18 posts
Also: if that had been announced beforehand, I would have salvaged my cards down to something a bit more manageable. Making a major change like this without announcing it first is rather inexcusable.

Ripe

Ripe

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 211 posts

So while we await an official response from the BAdler, salvaging as you knew it prior to 1.2.6 is gone. You can no longer manipulate the contents of your Collection. We may reconsider this but you can send your thoughts to  BAdler  ;)

So basically, Treasure Chests are now worthless unless you want to get way too many junk cards. Good to know.

That also mean those 10 chests I got as a "compensation" for removing Quest Mode will remain unopened, making them no compensation at all. I'd rather be able to destroy cards I don't want for no gold then having no option to remove unwanted cards.

Edited by Ripe, 20 June 2017 - 05:39 PM.

jumpthegun

jumpthegun

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 82 posts

https://forums.obsid...back-salvaging/

thelee

thelee

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1143 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

So while we await an official response from the BAdler, salvaging as you knew it prior to 1.2.6 is gone. You can no longer manipulate the contents of your Collection. We may reconsider this but you can send your thoughts to  BAdler  ;)

I really appreciate the direct response but... I'm honestly astounded. I got the Obsidian Edition, which I understand already unlocks a lot (all?) of loot. I was opening lots of chests to try and get more of the rarer/better ones, but you're telling me instead I'm diluting the chance I'll ever pick up those rarer/better ones in the first place?

I guess now I'm juggling between wanting a "complimentary" copy in my unclaimed tab versus the risk of diluting my location decks with lots and lots of Smiths.

EDIT: and yep I sent a small note to BAdler :)

Edited by thelee, 20 June 2017 - 06:54 PM.

• w19913s likes this

thelee

thelee

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1143 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I mean, I guess Obsidian probably doesn't want any extreme RNG-gaming, but surely there's a compromise are of some sort?

Just a suggestion  off the top of my head: when selecting treasure cards for an adventure, card counts are normalized? So a card you have 1 copy of in collection counts as 1 copy, where as a card you have 5 copies of might only count for 2.5 or 3 (depending on granularity), possibly capping out at 3 or using some sort of log-scale normalization such that you asymptotically slow down how much a card copy is worth. (But the "real" count is still used when determining how many copies of a card you're allowed to have in your party.)

Edited by thelee, 20 June 2017 - 07:00 PM.

• Hannibal_PJV, Ethics Gradient and ylvglo like this

Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1560 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

capping out at 3 or using some sort ..

Capping should be where the treasure system should move towards in general.

If you were playing Pathfinder Adventures tabletop, and the host said: "Hey, I got twelve copies of Fire Sneeze on eBay and I'm just going to mix them into the box" you'd probably look at them like they were a little nutty.

Rather than treating Treasure Cards like a random assortment of add-on cards, they should have something of their own "Deck List" that puts an allowable limit on how many of each card you can possess, and sells off the extras.

• ylvglo and w19913s like this

Hannibal_PJV

Hannibal_PJV

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2307 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I possibly capping out at 3 or using some sort of log-scale normalization such that you asymptotically slow down how much a card copy is worth.

Cappin would be good! Max it two or three. Then common cards would be like 3, rare 2 and legendary / epic one. Depending on how Many you own them. But it is easy to have 100 of some commons and I don't want to see always that common instead of some other all the time...

MrBishop

MrBishop

Programmer

• Developers
  • 165 posts

Actually friends, there is a cap. In your collection you can have max:

4 Uncommon

3 Rare

2 Epic

1 Legendary

Everything else is automatically salvaged on the backend and a copy is just added to your unclaimed.

Note: Commons are cards found in the vanilla rise of the runelords and the amount of commons can't be modified and is based from the contents of the physical box.

The culling is actually a slow process depending on how many cards are in your collection prior to 1.2.6, but it's happening behind the scenes.

• thelee, Borissimo, Hannibal_PJV and 3 others like this

Hannibal_PJV

Hannibal_PJV

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2307 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Thanks for the info about the culling. So you more likely see more bad cards than before the culling was taken away, but not as bad as it first seems to be.
The automatic salvaging is actually good thing, not so interested in manually salvaging, and the cap seems logical (allthough not optimal).
I can live with this, but if I can hope I would like to manually select the upper limits ;) and game could autosalvage depending on my own Numbers.

Edited by Hannibal_PJV, 21 June 2017 - 10:25 AM.

• w19913s likes this

thelee

thelee

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1143 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Actually friends, there is a cap. In your collection you can have max:

4 Uncommon

3 Rare

2 Epic

1 Legendary

Everything else is automatically salvaged on the backend and a copy is just added to your unclaimed.

Note: Commons are cards found in the vanilla rise of the runelords and the amount of commons can't be modified and is based from the contents of the physical box.

The culling is actually a slow process depending on how many cards are in your collection prior to 1.2.6, but it's happening behind the scenes.

Whew! Thanks for that response. Guess I can go back to buying lots of treasure chests! (Maybe I'll actually get a Paralyze for once for my mental-based Charlatan)

(edit: hey whaddya know, after using up all my gold to buy 8 treasure chests, the last one had a paralyze in it. the rng gods are kind today)

Edited by thelee, 20 June 2017 - 09:48 PM.

• w19913s likes this

Sogarth

Sogarth

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 18 posts
I think there would be fewer pitchforks if you guys actually told us that beforehand. :p Thanks!
  • Dunesparrow likes this

Dunesparrow

Dunesparrow

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 157 posts
  • Steam:Narthal
  • Xbox Gamertag:Psikick
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Ummmm What the Hell??? I am very confused by this.

Does this apply to treasure cards in your collection prior to patch 1.2.6.X/Steam release/Account Merge ???

How does this new system, creation of the card pool for Adventures/Scenarios and the Stash/unclaimed interact together?

Could you please explain this in more detail?

Edited by Dunesparrow, 21 June 2017 - 02:13 AM.

ylvglo

ylvglo

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:FabledSole5139

I hope I'm reading that wrong, 'cause to me it sounds like you're removing extra legendries from our collection!? Am I not allowed to own more than one Unity of Iomedae, or Slaying Axe?

• Longshot11 and Dunesparrow like this

Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 145 posts
This is a terrible, terrible, terrible decision.

I don't want multiple copies of treasure cards. Treasure cards, uncommon or not, should be rare; something special when you find one, and more importantly, not so common that you dilute the chance of ever seeing cards from the base set. For this reason, I've culled all but one of any copy of a treasure card, regardless of rarity (with exceptions for spells and blessings). Now I don't object to a cap, but the inability to delete cards from my collection means that I'm stuck keeping anything I find, whether I want it or not? Let me control my own damn copy of the game. For Pete's sake, at least let me delete it, even if I don't get the pittance of gold I would otherwise.

Seriously, every decision being made is more evidence that the devs just don't really give a damn about mobile. And given the money, maybe they shouldn't. Still infuriating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users