What are you playing right now?

I'm almost done with both Grandia and Valkyrie Profile 2. I can smell that finish line. Both are very solid classics with their own unique take on combat. VP2, more so than Grandia, but that doesn't mean that Grandia does not have great combat. I'm surprised not many games aped the system. That goes for VP also, but we are getting Indivisible, that had a good demo. Then there is Fallen Legion. A PS4/Vita game, that seems to use a similar battle system to VP. No idea about the quality of that game. (PS4 and Vita versions of Fallen Legion seem to be different games, but I don't know if this is just marketing speak.) Might pick it up on pre-order, nice price and if you get the PS4 version, you also get the Vita version.

Demon's souls is a whole different game  compared to Dark Souls when talking about magic and faith. So it's best to forget what you learned in Demon's and learn everything from the start. So while spells are still awesome in Dark souls, weapons with magic damage are crap because of the new resistance system that especially affected split damage weapons with magic attribute.  Other than everything is similar, especially combat. So yes maces and other hammer like weapons always smashed skeletons,... They just improved/changed animations.

As for pyro, yes Kathphood you're doing it wrong. You don't need INT when playing Pyro, :p as only thing important for pyromancies is the level of the flame.

And if you're playing STR build of any kind then your best bet is not the mace but reinforced club. Better scaling, does bleed and poisebreaks everything.   My favorite STR only weapons in Dark Souls was Man Serpent Greatsword ( you'll know it when you see it).

Also whatever you do, do not make infuse any weapons Magic or Enchanted just use Magic Weapon type sorceries to add extra magic damage to your normal damage. If you go full STR you don't need any DEX, it's just a waste of stat points that you should invest in either Vitality ( 50 is nice to have) , Endurance ( don't ever go over 40) or Attunement ( for how many spell slots do you need). Resistance is a useless stat that you don't need to pay attention to.

What else ... I  recommend farming the ugliest leg armor available. Hollow Soldier Waistcloth. Very light but awesome defense for that weight. Basically all you have to do is build up poise high enough ( you'll have to find the value yourself) and then you can take tank as you will.

Hmm i suppose you could also find some weapons you really like and make them Fire/Chaos ( Humanity influences damage, so you need to have 10) and Lightning.

• Like 2

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Started playing SWAT 4. Gotta admit, there's never been anything quite like it before or after it. I'm loving the amount of detail that's been put into environmental storytelling, showing us a lot more of what's been going on at the crime scene besides the briefing, that's really nice. I'm also in love with the sound design, altho this happens to be one of those games that'd really benefit from functional surround sound.

And it's even better in coop.

Have you tried Swat2? A different game entirely, but very well thought out, with a pretty cool dynamic element to the story progression based on the quality of you police work.

Fortune favors the bald.

SWAT 1 is the best.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I beg to differ... Rainbow Six Rogue Spear for me :D

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Demon's souls is a whole different game  compared to Dark Souls when talking about magic and faith. So it's best to forget what you learned in Demon's and learn everything from the start. So while spells are still awesome in Dark souls, weapons with magic damage are crap because of the new resistance system that especially affected split damage weapons with magic attribute.  Other than everything is similar, especially combat. So yes maces and other hammer like weapons always smashed skeletons,... They just improved/changed animations.

As for pyro, yes Kathphood you're doing it wrong. You don't need INT when playing Pyro, :p as only thing important for pyromancies is the level of the flame.

And if you're playing STR build of any kind then your best bet is not the mace but reinforced club. Better scaling, does bleed and poisebreaks everything.   My favorite STR only weapons in Dark Souls was Man Serpent Greatsword ( you'll know it when you see it).

Also whatever you do, do not make infuse any weapons Magic or Enchanted just use Magic Weapon type sorceries to add extra magic damage to your normal damage. If you go full STR you don't need any DEX, it's just a waste of stat points that you should invest in either Vitality ( 50 is nice to have) , Endurance ( don't ever go over 40) or Attunement ( for how many spell slots do you need). Resistance is a useless stat that you don't need to pay attention to.

What else ... I  recommend farming the ugliest leg armor available. Hollow Soldier Waistcloth. Very light but awesome defense for that weight. Basically all you have to do is build up poise high enough ( you'll have to find the value yourself) and then you can take tank as you will.

Hmm i suppose you could also find some weapons you really like and make them Fire/Chaos ( Humanity influences damage, so you need to have 10) and Lightning.

Haha, thought so. I might start with a new character or at least watch out how I am going to level up. Thanks for the info, bro.

Edited by Katphood
  • Like 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

If you raised your int enough you'll be able to supplement your pyromancies with sorceries, which tend to have more uses and longer range than pyromancies.

I'm not really saying it's better, I mean my first character uses both sorceries and pyromancies. It's more that you have more flexibility with your casting.

Sorcery also trivializes several bosses. If you can survive entering the capra demon's area and run up the stairs, there's a place you can stand that the capra demon can't reach. Just kill the dogs, then blast the demon down.

Also trivialized the Gaping Dragon, but idk if it's that hard of a boss to begin with, so.

Not in every case, though. Had a bit of a rough time with the gargoyles because two of them and casting animations are so long that dodging was difficult.

Edited by Belle Sorciere
  • Like 1

Anyone who has a PS4 Pro, do I need a 4K TV?  I mean, I know technically you don't *need* a 4K TV to use a PS4 Pro, but do you see any advantages on an old school HDTV with the PS4 Pro over the old PS4?

I'm trying to figure out whether to get a PS4 Pro or just buy a PS4 slim since I don't have one of those new fancy dandy TVs yet (and probably won't buy one for at least another year or two).

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

If you raised your int enough you'll be able to supplement your pyromancies with sorceries, which tend to have more uses and longer range than pyromancies.

I'm not really saying it's better, I mean my first character uses both sorceries and pyromancies. It's more that you have more flexibility with your casting.

Yeah, as I understand it, sorceries are considered to be the "easy" mode for Souls games, because there's a lot less technical mastering of the gameplay mechanics required. I've never played a sorceries build (the style of combat is just not really for me...even on my NG7 run, I still stayed at around level 100 instead of leveling up any further so that I could still play PVP)...so I can't really confirm that for sure, but that is my understanding.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Yeah, as I understand it, sorceries are considered to be the "easy" mode for Souls games, because there's a lot less technical mastering of the gameplay mechanics required. I've never played a sorceries build (the style of combat is just not really for me...even on my NG7 run, I still stayed at around level 100 instead of leveling up any further so that I could still play PVP)...so I can't really confirm that for sure, but that is my understanding.

Yeah, I edited my post to acknowledge that. I had a really easy time with several bosses.

Now all I have to do is finish the darned game instead of creating alts.

Sorcery also trivializes several bosses. If you can survive entering the capra demon's area and run up the stairs, there's a place you can stand that the capra demon can't reach. Just kill the dogs, then blast the demon down.

Also trivialized the Gaping Dragon, but idk if it's that hard of a boss to begin with, so.

Not in every case, though. Had a bit of a rough time with the gargoyles because two of them and casting animations are so long that dodging was difficult.

I checked my character again today and the intelligence ain't that high. Most points are spent for attunement(12). I reached level 7 and I am spending most of my points on Vitality, Endurance and Strenght.

Most fights are easy but I have trouble with archers and enemies that throw bombs at you from a distance. Gotta supply myself with knives for now as I couldn't find any arrows for the crossbow.

Anyone who has a PS4 Pro, do I need a 4K TV?  I mean, I know technically you don't *need* a 4K TV to use a PS4 Pro, but do you see any advantages on an old school HDTV with the PS4 Pro over the old PS4?

I'm trying to figure out whether to get a PS4 Pro or just buy a PS4 slim since I don't have one of those new fancy dandy TVs yet (and probably won't buy one for at least another year or two)

The least thing that it does is that it runs base games super quiet on a 1080p TV. Then there are games such as Rise of the Tomb Raider, The Surge and some other titles that give you the 1080p@60fps experience.

I'd recommend reading Digital Foundry's guide to PS4 Pro game upgrades and seeing if it's worth your while.

Edited by Katphood
  • Like 1

I'm trying to figure out whether to get a PS4 Pro or just buy a PS4 slim since I don't have one of those new fancy dandy TVs yet (and probably won't buy one for at least another year or two)

The least thing that it does is that it runs base games super quiet on a 1080p TV. Then there are games such as Rise of the Tomb Raider, The Surge and some other titles that give you the 1080p@60fps experience.

I'd recommend reading Digital Foundry's guide to PS4 Pro game upgrades and seeing if it's worth your while.

Thanks!

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I checked my character again today and the intelligence ain't that high. Most points are spent for attunement(12). I reached level 7 and I am spending most of my points on Vitality, Endurance and Strenght.

Most fights are easy but I have trouble with archers and enemies that throw bombs at you from a distance. Gotta supply myself with knives for now as I couldn't find any arrows for the crossbow.

So there aren't a lot of firebombers in the game. The three most annoying ones are right near the first bonfire in Undeadburg. You can just run past them and once you're out of that area they will usually ignore you. I've had them ambush me while I was fighting the next set of mobs (who also throw bombs), though, so it's not guaranteed.

Archers though, I think that two of the most frustrating non-boss enemies are archers. Fortunately, there's only two of them, and you will know when you see them. Most of the hollow archers you can just charge up to and kill without a lot of trouble, though. I can only think of seven hollow archers offhand, and they're all pretty easy to deal with. Two are a bit problematic because there are a lot of other mobs in the area as well, but if you're careful you should be fine.

• Like 1

Archers though, I think that two of the most frustrating non-boss enemies are archers. Fortunately, there's only two of them, and you will know when you see them.

Oh boy, will you ever! Ever so simple to deal with as soon as you know what to do, it may be a highly frustrating experience when you meet them for the first time. I actually ran straight past them the first time I met them, but on a subsequent playthrough was not so lucky, and died way too many times.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Ugh lots of text.  And pretty much yes, you can go anyway you want and still use pyromancies in DS1. But if you want easy mode then you just pump Vitality and End like i said and you'll be fine. 50 vitality gives 1500 hp so you cna take quite a lot of punishment and 40 endurance maxes out your stamina and gives you enough Maximum equip load to allow you great armor combinations even without helpful rings. And with a lot of stamina you can dodge and dodge or use a shield.

So Kathphood at level 7 you really don't need to worry about messing up your character. The most action in DS happened at level 120 anyway, give or take 5 levels. And at that point you can have 50 vitality, 23 attunement, 40 endurance and 50 strength which is describing a walking tank. You don't even need magic and just use resins and pure pyromancer build. If you add the most helpful rings at that point you'll have even more HP, stamina and all that giving you an even better tank, making stuff much easier. :D

Or if you really want weapon buffs you only need to level your INT up to 25 and find the right catalyst and cut everything to pieces that way. 2h Falchion was my favorite that way... but that's a DEX build weapon.

So plenty of options by for the first time i wholeheartedly recommend pumping VIT and END and everything will work itself out.  Just pick a stat ( or in your case stick with it) and choose weapons based on that stat, so for STR that usually means that the best benefit only from STR ( since unlike Demon's or DS3 you cannot infuse a weapon to 1 stat only )

And before i forget, don't kill the first trader :D but apart from Reinforced club ( remember to 2h it because you get 1.5STR bonus when you 2h things. That way you can use weapons that require high str much earlier and/or do more damage)you should also buy a Heater shield from him. It's my favorite shield, because it has high stats , low weight and best of all you don't have to farm anyone to get it. Of course there are more specialized shields in the game but it'll take a while to get them.

As for the infamous capra demon, it's difficulty has been as much overblown as for Dark Souls itself.  The point is to dodge the first blow then you can do whatever you want.
Oh also try to cut tails from dragonlike enemies or gargoyles. Bow works too hint hint red wyvern  on the wall hint hint. :D :D

PS yes i'm saying melee is better than magic. :p  Glass cannon builds are not for beginners anyway .

edit:

Archers though, I think that two of the most frustrating non-boss enemies are archers. Fortunately, there's only two of them, and you will know when you see them.

Oh boy, will you ever! Ever so simple to deal with as soon as you know what to do, it may be a highly frustrating experience when you meet them for the first time. I actually ran straight past them the first time I met them, but on a subsequent playthrough was not so lucky, and died way too many times.

Oh come on. At that point in the game you should have your timing down. And by the second time you should have figured out the tricks anyway.  And running is the best solution. ... if we're all thinking about the silver menaces and not something else entirely.

Edited by Majek
  • Like 1

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Bugged again on Deserts of Kharak so I think I will just uninstall this as apparently mission 5 has an issue with ghost units. Meh.

Back into WoW. The new Tomb of Sargeras raid has interesting fights even at LFR level. Pretty too. Apparently the expansion ends with Edgelord Illidan sacrificing himself to jail Sargeras so at least he's gone for a while.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yeah, I just resubbed yesterday... why do I do this to myself? :lol: Got some catching up to do before I can access the new raid though.

Catching up is pretty quick, even without good luck, as you can get 850 gear for cheap amounts of shards and WQs. Been very lucky in LFR, got 3 of the tier X pieces, is crappier than I'd get with normal level, but guild is down to 2 people and I don't want to associate with random strangers :p
  • Like 1

Finally took the time (freaking hours) to properly set up Retroarch.  It's a hassle but having a tv+gamepad friendly interface for all my old favourites is great.  As a bonus the latency is lower than standalone emulators and some of the scanline shader effects are spookily accurate.

And before i forget, don't kill the first trader :D but apart from Reinforced club ( remember to 2h it because you get 1.5STR bonus when you 2h things. That way you can use weapons that require high str much earlier and/or do more damage)you should also buy a Heater shield from him. It's my favorite shield, because it has high stats , low weight and best of all you don't have to farm anyone to get it. Of course there are more specialized shields in the game but it'll take a while to get them.

Hahaha, man...I'll never forget that dude. The first time I met him I read a lot of "Traitor" and "kill" messages near him. Didn't figure out why but I decided not to kill him. I also lost him after I returned to the game and ended up searching for him for hours before discovering that he was just near the second bonfire. There is a set of stairs that lead to him and they are concealed under some crates.

The Heather Shield is the one I bought and I've been using it ever since but I also found a Hollow Soldier Shield which has good stats, too.

Heh the first month Hollow Soldier Shield was the best shield in game, it was nerfed after that.  But as you can see it's also 1.5 heavier than Heater and it's stability is not that much higher.  Have you killed the Black Knight in the Undead burg? What did it drop  ( if anything)?

As for killing the merchant ... well some people actually do it because that's the fastest way to get an Uchigatana. They don't need firebombs, throwing knives or Reinforced clubs i guess, other stuff he sells can be obtained by other means i believe. Maybe not the armor, but other than me, i hadn't seen many people with chain armor. I like the headpiece. It goes very well with Knight armors.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Have you killed the Black Knight in the Undead burg? What did it drop  ( if anything)?

I met that dude but didn't get to kill him. I'll try to kill him this time and see what he will drop.

I think I finally settled on playing SWAT 4 and replaying Banner Saga (so that I can carry on with the sequels once I'm finished). SWAT 4 is still very unique and extpertly crafted while Banner Saga carries the same set of problems I've had with it the first time around, but it's still a rather well-written turn-based tactical RPG set in a world that's fun to experience, so that's all good.

Have you tried Swat2? A different game entirely, but very well thought out, with a pretty cool dynamic element to the story progression based on the quality of you police work.
No, only played 4. Don't the older SWAT games mostly work as adventure games?

SWAT 1 was a FMV game, not sure if it you can consider it adventure or not but probably can - as there are puzzles of sorts in that you have to follow your training. 2 was an isometric tactical game, 3 and 4 were tactical FPS games.  Interesting series that changes genres so much.  Did spawn from the excellent (ok, so so) Police Quest series  

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1