What you did today

Gorth

Today I'm fact checking a study on using synthetic radionuclides as markers for soil sedimentation tests. I hate to admit it, but it's a little over my head. Oh I can do the math no problem. But I'm missing the educational foundation to really understand it. I've got some reading to do it seems.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Got threatened with death twice before 0900. Not bad for a week day.

You probably made fun of a Liverpool supporter. Today is not the day for that. :aiee::p

Why, you guys won today :p

One was a homeless dude and other was a female acquaintance

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I actually got a guided tour around the Houses of Parliament yesterday by my local MP's staff.

Really didn't realise how easy it is to get in and go around, and because we'd done it via the MP we skipped the paying tours and got personally handled by one of his assistants. Said assistant was sincerely enthusiastic about the history of the building, how it was used, and encouraging us on the whole "people should know how easy it is to contact their MP's, visit Parliament and see the transparency of our democracy."

Winchester Hall having been built in 1099, and various sections of it going up in the centuries since. Lots of fun quirky facts and trivia, areas of grand importance and minor note explained. You have things like the table in the House of Commons that has a mark left in it by WInston Churchill rapping with a heavy object as part of a speech during WW2 that they refuse to refurbish. Along with the wood ground away on one of the doors when the Black Rod summons the Commons to meet with the Monarch.

The corridor filled with books that record everything said and voted on for the past two centuries. So any member of the public can walk in, and find out what was being said and voted on by both Commons and House of Lords on the day they were born... We even got to visit the Chapel under Parliament (again, that's been there since 1099) and is amazingly impressive for the decorations and carvings.

Then spent some time ambling around on the South Bank of London and seeing the sights.

Of course, that's been balanced out that the toe I thought was bruised before traipsing around London yesterday has turned bright red, swollen and won't flex at all today. So, hm, it seems I might have a broken digit.

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Is it weird not hearing Big Ben?

Yes, if they hadn't just started restoring the tower we'd have actually had the tour up there to see the bell.

They literally use the old school pennies to help balance the pendulum - "it's going a little fast, add a penny"  "it's going a little slow, take a penny off" its a fairly robust mechanism. My dad's a horologist and has done the visit to Big Ben before, he says you time it so you climb up the tower to get to the bell just before midday. Otherwise it's a waste of effort. Still, three and a half years and it'll be open and running again.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I'm probably about to get flooded.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

That sounds like fun... What's up?

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

That sounds like fun... What's up?

Hurricane Harvey is on course to hit.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Hurricane Harvey is on course to hit.

Oh, ****. Best of luck then, button down the hatches and all that. When's it to hit?

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Sometime tonight or tomorrow.

Yikes, hope you get through the hurricane alright and take no damage to your home, Kaine.  ;(

My mom went through a major hurricane last year in Florida, I was all types of freaking out, but she got through it alright.  

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Put some bags out for charity to pick up. And someone stole one and rifled through the rest. Had to expect that but thought no one would be out at 0800 to steal stuff. Given people steal my neigbours' flowers, though, false hope.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yep. I assume they thought it was trash. But still our street puts the trash out back so was just some opportunistic **** that did it.

I did laugh at the one guy that took the video card from a PC I put out but nothing else

get the truck tomorrow, move begins sunday.

How long will it take?

get the truck tomorrow, move begins sunday.

How long will it take?

Sunday in Missoula, Monday in Billings, tuesday in Bismark, arrive in Minneapolis on weds, get keys to new apartment on friday.

• Like 1

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

My neighbor and I have plans to go fishing this morning. Aka, drowning worms and watching the river go by. :lol:

The perfect day!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The river was bountiful this day! Went there with no bait and the first throw from my cast net pulls in more minnows than I can use. There were bites all morning left, right and center but I only managed to land one buffalo fish. :( Fun time though. Now, to day drink and perhaps a nap.

• Like 1

Went to the range, apparently I didn't quite put the ear protection right so now my left eardrum is ringing a little bit.

• Like 2
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Went to the range, apparently I didn't quite put the ear protection right so now my left eardrum is ringing a little bit.

You've managed to permanently damage your hearing a bit.

Sorry for your loss. :(

Edited by Azdeus

I'm not likely but still possibly going on a trip all around Alaska next month to go do some technical mumbo jumbo at some really remote sites. I've never been further north (in North America) than Seattle but to be honest I'm both a little excited and a little scared to go so far beyond the wall.

• Like 3

Free games updated 3/4/21

Went to a market downtown to get some bread and West Indian food. So many damn hipsters there.