Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Romance in Deadfire

Pillars 2 Romance Companions Characters Deadfire

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

DrTomT18

DrTomT18

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • Steam:dr_tom_t18
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

So in one of the Dev Updates, #13 I believe, we were told that there would be deeper companion relationships in Deadfire than in PIllars 1, and that we could forge friendships, rivalries, and even love!

My question is, by love, do you think they mean actual romance like kissy-kissy, or just a very close friendship.

On that note, of the companions (and possibly side kicks?) we know about, who would you like to be romancable?

Pallegina would be my first pick because shes a really great character.

• ThatUndeadLegacy likes this

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2212 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I think they are saying that companionships could entail any sort of relationship that the human landscape is known for. Love being one that they might craft between two particular companions. How that romance is depicted is not clear, and we know Obsidian is more for writing characters with autonomy rather than making characters into love gimps which reflect the desires of the player character.

Unfortunately, your love for Pallegina might not be reciprocated. I wouldn't put too much stock into anything, because non-romantic relationships are practically guaranteed to outnumber the romantic ones. Which is a good thing imo.

• Bill Gates' Son, Regggler, Abel and 2 others like this

KaineParker

KaineParker

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3018 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
I think they kept it vague to fuel donations and speculation on the forums. Ydwin and Xoti are waifubait and that Godlike chanter is husbando material straight out of a romance novel.

On that note, of the companions (and possibly side kicks?) we know about, who would you like to be romancable?

The one eyed kraken.
  • Karkarov, TheisEjsing, gogocactus and 1 other like this

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2212 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I think they kept it vague to fuel donations and speculation on the forums. Ydwin and Xoti are waifubait and that Godlike chanter is husbando material straight out of a romance novel.

Yeah. Kind of hoping they'd blue ball us. Well other than Xoder/Eoti.

Edited by injurai, 27 March 2017 - 06:57 PM.

• AndreaColombo and Rorschach like this

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5003 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

They should run a fan contest to write a romance short story based in Eora. The winner gets their story published within the game lore, along with proper credits, &c.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2931 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
It's hard to say at this point...

I think the gaming community has been misguided when using the term "Love" and "Romance". The gaming community seems to be the only community that cannot tell the difference of love and a brief sexual emcounter.

Josh Sawyer answered the question "Will there be romances in the game?" On his Tumblr page.

And he answered back with something close to "Every companion will be able to be romanced" (not his exact words so don't quote me but close enough).

Here's the thing, I know Josh Sawyer is the kind of person who is likely to relate love to friendship and family and romance to mystery rather than love. He tends to think against the grain and that reasoning is because like I said before, this generation of gamers cannot tell the difference of love for friends and sexual love. They'll automatically relate the word roamance in a game to the inage of a 10 second cut-scene with nudity and some cheesey dialogue options like"We'll bang okay?" Thanks to Bioware's horrid romance shaping in the industry and Visual Novels being played by hormone-raging teens.

My opinion: it's not going to be the type of romance that most people think. It's going to be the type of romance that MAKES people think.... because that's what Josh Sawyer does.

I hope that Obsidian shows players that love should never be put in a box, nor should it be mocked and made lightly of. The youth are being confused by the media as it is and Obsidian can take advantage of creating some great story here which shatters the usual Bioware stereotypes of love in modern games.
  • Ninjamestari, gogocactus and ThatUndeadLegacy like this

Heijoushin

Heijoushin

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1287 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

To answer OP: Nah, I think we might get some very light romantic moments, but not full Mass Effect sex scenes.

My 2 cents: The problem with romance/sex in games is that it generally doesn't add anything mechanically. Games like Vampire Bloodlines work because successful romance leads to a mechanical benefit (ie you can suck blood outta them). Okay, sleeping with hookers in PoE1 granted some bonuses, but that's pretty weak IMHO. (Near the end of PoE development, the strategy to make anything relevant seems to have been "add rest bonuses!")

Karkarov

Karkarov

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3115 posts
  • Steam:Karkarov
  • PSN Portable ID:Karkarov
  • Xbox Gamertag:Karkarov
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Okay as tempting as being a spoil sport and making some joke is.... I will try to actually answer the OP.

So which would I like to be romance-able?  Easy, the ones that makes logical sense.

In my opinion that would be.... drum roll....

Eder (fangirls the world over swoon)
Xoti
Pallegina (depending heavily on her political situation)
Aloth (also depending heavily on his personal.... issues)
and maybe the Godlike guy whose name I can't remember.

Side Kicks?  None, side kicks won't get all the cool stuff full companions do so being a sidekick auto eliminates you from this competition.  Even if Ydwin somehow goes full companion (not seeing it at the current finding rate), I would still not name her as she doesn't seem to be that kind of character.

And yeah, obviously you can get hot and nasty with the one eyed Kraken.  That is a given.

Heijoushin

Heijoushin

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1287 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Okay as tempting as being a spoil sport and making some joke is.... I will try to actually answer the OP.
And yeah, obviously you can get hot and nasty with the one eyed Kraken.  That is a given.

Good thing you held yourself back and didn't make a joke there ;)

• Karkarov likes this

HooAmEye

HooAmEye

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 231 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I want to romance Eothas. That giant green body, those emotionless glowing eyes, that rampage that nearly kills us....I may have a problem

• Karkarov likes this

Messier-31

Messier-31

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2232 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Another romance thread? Uhh...

38483176.jpg

• Karkarov, AndreaColombo, ThatUndeadLegacy and 1 other like this

FlintlockJazz

FlintlockJazz

White Rabbit of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1955 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Just a thought for all those who want to bed Pallegina: Josh Sawyer is writing the character.  That means that when she confesses her undying love for you, when it describes her lying you down and having her way with you, that is Josh Sawyer thinking that up and writing it down, describing your favourite sexual fetishes.  You could say that he is cybering with you, and anyone who announces that they romanced Pallegina and enjoyed, he knows what they did. :alienani:

Just wanted to put the image of Pallegina with Josh Sawyer's face in your head.  For my amusement. :devil:

• Karkarov, Ninjamestari, AndreaColombo and 5 others like this

Murp

Murp

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Just a thought for all those who want to bed Pallegina: Josh Sawyer is writing the character.  That means that when she confesses her undying love for you, when it describes her lying you down and having her way with you, that is Josh Sawyer thinking that up and writing it down, describing your favourite sexual fetishes.  You could say that he is cybering with you, and anyone who announces that they romanced Pallegina and enjoyed, he knows what they did. :alienani:

Just wanted to put the image of Pallegina with Josh Sawyer's face in your head.  For my amusement. :devil:

Are you implying that this isn't what we want? Have you SEEN the valentines day video?

• FlintlockJazz, Ninjamestari, illathid and 5 others like this

Pinsalinj

Pinsalinj

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yup, we all secretly want to romance Josh.

And the kraken but that's not a secret, why have all this tentacles otherwise?

• Abel, gogocactus and TragedienneOfHeavens like this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2931 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
It was a great Valentine's Day video!

I always love that it opens with "I said relationships... it's probably a bit more broad than you were thinking. I think it would be better if I talked to you about it over there" ditching the romantic picnic and emulating the feeling of shooting down the watcher from a budding romance. It's almost as if Josh is saying "Don't be creepy now" or perhaps "Hold those hormones" lol

FlintlockJazz

FlintlockJazz

White Rabbit of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1955 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Are you implying that this isn't what we want? Have you SEEN the valentines day video?

Omigod you are right!  Omigod I wanted to romance him after that video too!!! :unsure:

DrTomT18

DrTomT18

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Damn. You have discovered my horrible secret.
  • Karkarov likes this

Karkarov

Karkarov

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3115 posts
  • Steam:Karkarov
  • PSN Portable ID:Karkarov
  • Xbox Gamertag:Karkarov
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Flintlock, I just want to let you know.  This is absolutely your fault.

33580137501_5c2a794b1e_o.png

• Amentep, Leferd, FlintlockJazz and 19 others like this

DrTomT18

DrTomT18

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Holy Terra, thats actually a really good picture.

10/10 Good job m80

• Karkarov likes this

HooAmEye

HooAmEye

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 231 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Someone needs to tweet that to Josh

• FlintlockJazz, Karkarov, illathid and 1 other like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pillars 2, Romance, Companions, Characters, Deadfire

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users