Any chances to see oriental weapons like in BG2?

A gap huh... throwing weapons or a hybrid weapon that can be both ranged and melee, just off the top of my head. There are definately other weapons roles that could be catered to by adding new weapons.

am not certain if you are doing this purposeful.

your suggestion is adding a whole new mechanic. is not filling an already existing gap. the kinda balance and program concerns for simple adding sharpness to a large, two-handed weapon is anything like what you suggest?

HA! Good Fun!

Well the throwing suggestion is simply based off watching one of the fig vids where they show a torch being thrown at an enemy, so possibly its a mechanic they may be working on already. This is a fruitless debate your reasons for not wanting new weapons are no more or less arbitrary than anything I have given. Basically boils down to "well I dont feel like there is any need." which isnt more valid then me or others wanting a hand full of new ones that would not disrupt any other balance or process by adding them. In Q&A's they have already comfirmed work is being done on weapons and that specifically there are new firearms being added. Based off that nothing I have said is crazy and is currently more reasonable than saying "they should do nothing new"

A gap huh... throwing weapons or a hybrid weapon that can be both ranged and melee, just off the top of my head. There are definately other weapons roles that could be catered to by adding new weapons.

your suggestion is adding a whole new mechanic. is not filling an already existing gap. the kinda balance and program concerns for simple adding sharpness to a large, two-handed weapon is anything like what you suggest?

HA! Good Fun!

Well the throwing suggestion is simply based off watching one of the fig vids where they show a torch being thrown at an enemy, so possibly its a mechanic they may be working on already. This is a fruitless debate your reasons for not wanting new weapons are no more or less arbitrary than anything I have given. Basically boils down to "well I dont feel like there is any need.

complete misrepresentation. we made balancing and resource arguments.  but if you is gonna go so far as to purposeful mischaracterize, then am agreeing 'bout the worthless pursuit o' further debate.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

HA! Good Fun!

Well the throwing suggestion is simply based off watching one of the fig vids where they show a torch being thrown at an enemy, so possibly its a mechanic they may be working on already. This is a fruitless debate your reasons for not wanting new weapons are no more or less arbitrary than anything I have given. Basically boils down to "well I dont feel like there is any need.

complete misrepresentation. we made balancing and resource arguments. but if you is gonna go so far as to purposeful mischaracterize, then am agreeing 'bout the worthless pursuit o' further debate.

HA! Good Fun!

Saying "because balancing reasons.." almost that plainly somehow constitutes as more specific or detailed or valid than anything I said... not hard to just dismiss everything someone else says and then substitute your opinion as reality...

pointed out how we already identified balancing concerns and resource issues.  didn't think we needed to repeat the entire line o' arguments. 

*shrug*

now you are simple doing the equivalent o' 

won't play along further 'less you got something substantive on-topic to say, which would be refreshing.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

pointed out how we already identified balancing concerns and resource issues. didn't think we needed to repeat the entire line o' arguments.

*shrug*

now you are simple doing the equivalent o'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=944lpWbBB30

won't play along further 'less you got something substantive on-topic to say, which would be refreshing.

HA! Good Fun!

Just saying if you had watched the 3rd Q&A specifically there wouldnt be an arguement as they clearly stated (at the very least) 1 new gun type already added just as an example of the weapons changes they are doing for pillars 2. so say balance and resources all you want they are adding new weapons that are not a variation of an existing weapon type.

Is Rauatai comprised of Coastal or Island Aumaua?

Mixed. Like all countries.

But... original natives are Coastal.

The Rua family are Island but immigrants.

Still: correct answer is mix of all.

But i get what you mean... same way

Aedyr is MeadowFolk/WoodElves

I hope this is something that comes with the factions. I'd like to see Rauatai using a different style of weapons from the Pirates using a different style from what we're used to in Dyrwood, etc.

Really, considering how far away we're travelling, we probably shouldn't see many standard western-style weapons at all.

The Vailian Republics trying to move in has probably brought a lot more western weapons along.

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

That they wouldn't have at least a handful of new weapons unseen in the rest of the world that deserve their own classification would seem ridiculous. 

am pretty certain you don't wanna go down this road. the number and magnitude o' ridiculous features in virtual all crpgs beggar any kinda plausibility considerations.  one-size-fits-all plate armour is okie dokie, but the fact we won't see an atlatl used by any o' the folks in the archipelago is too much?

The complete and utter lack of atlatl, or spear-throwers in general, in any and all media ever has been a pet peeve of mine for a long, long time, actually. It's only one of the oldest and most ****ing common weapons *KNOWN TO MANKIND*, but that literally *never* shows up in any game ever.

The Atlatl is a nice concept, but I think it's overall inferior to newer developments like bows and crossbows and stuff.

It's not very accurate compared to a bow or crossbow (I mean you have to train a lot in order to hit with hit like you can hit with a crossbow without a lot of training), and even then it's whobbling can lead to grazes although your aim was true.

It's not suitable for melee like simple throwing spears are and they are not heavy anough.

The projectiles are too expensive.

There must be a reason or two why most ancient cultures that knew the concept didn't use it in times of war (greek, romans and so on).

But I would love to see throwing weapons like spears and harpoons in PoE2, too.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Actually the Greek's did use them, with slight alterations--they called them amentum and used them to launch *javelins* because the Greek's didn't **** around. They even had war-darts, called plumbata, which looked almost exactly like lawn-darts. No joke.

The Atlatl is a nice concept, but I think it's overall inferior to newer developments like bows and crossbows and stuff.

It's not very accurate compared to a bow or crossbow (I mean you have to train a lot in order to hit with hit like you can hit with a crossbow without a lot of training), and even then it's whobbling can lead to grazes although your aim was true.

It's not suitable for melee like simple throwing spears are and they are not heavy anough.

The projectiles are too expensive.

There must be a reason or two why most ancient cultures that knew the concept didn't use it in times of war (greek, romans and so on).

But whips are right in, right? ;)

• Like 1

I hope this is something that comes with the factions. I'd like to see Rauatai using a different style of weapons from the Pirates using a different style from what we're used to in Dyrwood, etc.

Really, considering how far away we're travelling, we probably shouldn't see many standard western-style weapons at all.

I keep forgetting about factions.

I really liked the two handed flails in Neverwinter Nights. I guess they could just pretend those are two handed morning stars as well.

About wilders' weapons: OBS even made some nice additions (more than just reskinning) to certain wilder weapons in PoE1. For example: did you know that the Lagufaeth stilettos do slash damage instead of pierce? They are really nice if you are Mr. H.P. Stiletto and need backup weapons when you meet pierce resistant (or immune) foes.   

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

This.  Not to mention in Eora we have.... blunderbuss, arquebus, and pistols.  No one in their right mind would still be using throwing spears at Eora's tech level, unless they were some back water society or people with no access to anything remotely modern.

As for the romans, trust me, if they had black powder weapons and crossbows they would have left their lawn darts at home.

Edited by Karkarov

This.  Not to mention in Eora we have.... blunderbuss, arquebus, and pistols.  No one in their right mind would still be using throwing spears at Eora's tech level, unless they were some back water society or people with no access to anything remotely modern.

Yes and no. The gunpowder technology in Eora is still at the very slow to reload stage which means in a small party skirmish there are still good reasons to favour bows and lighter crossbows (arbalests not so much since they are also very slow to reload). That said yeah, I think a bow is almost universally better than an atlatl.

Maybe a bayonette "enchantment" for arquebuses for going into melee when swarmed without swaping weapons or something. Although not oriental at all :p

But what can you do? European 16th century weapons were the best in the world. Europeans invested hard in how to kill people better :p

Also, atlatls and javelin throwers I think they are a bit outdated :p

Edited by Sedrefilos

European 16th century weapons were the best in the world. Europeans invested hard in how to kill people better :p

Apart from katanas of course. A single katana wielding master swordsman could have won the 30 years was on his own ;)

Thank god the Japanese didn't use them during the 2nd world war then!

• Like 2