Care to guess the names of the other multiclasses?

I would reserve Inquisitor for Priest/Paladin instead of Priest/Cipher.

Here's my reasoning for Inquisitor as Priest / Cipher.

• Ciphers are already in lore as detectives.  Inquisitors are like holy detectives (with torture); hence the word inquiry.
  • A paladin / priest would be a martial priest with extra zeal.  Inquisitors while possessed of extra zeal are not very martial figures.  In English Lit it's always Torquemada twirling his mustache or the devious traps.  I chose Bishop for this, but Crusader or Cleric are probably better options.
  • Inquisitor literally means questioner, and cipher is a secret or code.  I think there's a nice wordplay here, where the inquisitor is seeking the truth by breaking codes.  For instance, an inquisitor would be a great name for a priest of Wael / cipher.
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

I had great fun reading this thread and picking out the names that captured the multiclasses beautifully. Here's my own shortlist with refs to the originators.

The blue cells appear to have been said by Josh. Direct references are followed by a dash, inspirations are in parentheses, and the rest are my own.

I'm really hoping the devs aren't setting their announced titles in stone just yet!

11av1mp.jpg

Edit: Cipher/Priest: Inquisitor - Hilfazer

- I hope Shaman becomes Chanter+Druid (Spirits+Nature, anyone?). The Shaman speaks with the Spirits of Nature......... makes sense right? (Looking at the list I have no idea where I got "Vagabond" from....). Then again, Chanter+Druid could also fit really well in some sort of Spiritshift title (due to the Druid's Spiritshift powers and the Chanter's Spirit resource pool). 

- "Vagabond" or "Pilgrim" would fit best with a Chanter+Monk (Spirits+Mortification). Someone who has left all their material possessions behind? Even their soul? A Husk.

- "Wild Mage" or "Wild Wizard" would fit best as Wizard+Barbarian (Arcane Rage). Unfortunately there's no Random Casting or Spell Backfire mechanics in Pillars of Eternity :/ would be so much fun :D,

- Chanter+Cipher would fit best as some sort of Tormentor"I'll just invade your mind and show you all the skeletons in your closet, and also all of your ghosts of your past". Torturer would fit too.

- I think I've got a good general idea for Barbarian+Cipher, can't come up with a good title for it... Rage+Psionic, some sort of Madman? I'm picturing someone deep down into Chaotic Good. Disorganized mind filled with Wrath and on top of it add a layer of freaking Mind Powers. Not Fus-Ro-Dah in your face, Fus-Ro-Dah into your mind! Mind shouting. Or a combination of Whispers of Treason and Barbaric Yell. Brainscreaming. I guess "Brainstormer" could be a good title for it xD "GET THE VOICES OUT OF MY HEAD!!"-type character.

EDIT: Musketeer should fit in somewhere as well or Gunslinger (Pistolier, hm, maybe not, sounds like a Talent or Skill). 

- And why isn't Wandslinger a thing. Spellblade? That would fit much better with a Paladin+Wizard (Flames of Devotion, anyone? Arcane+Zeal?). Rogue+Wizard would be so awesome as a Wandslinger (granted that Dual-Wielding Wands is a thing... is it?). Nevermind. "Wandslinger" also sounds like a Talent or Skill.

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1

Is there a compiled list somewhere of the known Multiclasses names so far?

Nope. All of the known ones are from a video Josh Sawyer did showing how the multiclass stuff works, AFAIK. There might be another mention or two elsewhere, either in his twitter or his tumblr blog.

Edited by smjjames

Can't quite put this one in the right one, I think it fits all three, for different reasons.

Zeal+Discipline = Sword Saint (Fighter/Paladin)
Mortification+Discipline = Sword Saint (Fighter/Monk)
Faith+Discipline = Sword Saint (Fighter/Priest)

- With Paladin, one who is devoted to the art of the Blade, and disciplined in its use. Fits really well imo (What with Auras and whatnot, "When the Sword Saint wields their blade, it is as if they inspire those around them" kind of thing).
- With Monk, one who has cast off all worldly possessions, except the Blade (Does Swift Strikes work with weapons? It does, right, IIRC? Never played Monk much). I kind of like this most.
- With Priest, one who has complete trust, and confidence, someone who has trained and in complete control of their Blade (Priest spell and general Class do not fit though)

Edited by Osvir

Sword Saint sounds like another name for paladin, IMO, or the name of a paladin order.

Well, sure, "Holy Swordsman" was one definition I found (Hence, Priest suggestion in there... "Faith").

This is another I found (about Paladin):

"a knight renowned for heroism and chivalry"

And this about Sword Saints:

"Sword saints hail from lands where samurai are prevalent, and are often ronin who wander the world seeking new challenges to perfect their intricate style of swordplay called iaijutsu. The following benefits apply only when a sword saint is using a sword and carrying nothing in his other hand."

But this is what I refer to mostly, and draw inspiration from (Kensai, Fighter Kit from Baldur's Gate):

"This class is also known as the Sword Saints, and consists of a warrior who has been specially trained to be one with his sword. They are deadly fast, and trained to fight without encumbrance."

Some inspirational pictures:

Paladin/Fighter version

Monk/Fighter version

Edited by Osvir

Maybe fighter/monk for sword saint? Although Samurai/Ronin are mythologically pretty similar to paladins/knights, though in reality, there were plenty of bad actors among them. Same for actual European knights, they were every bit as prone to doing bad things as everybody else despite the chivalry air and the King Arthurs knights mythology.

Wizard+Paladin = Diviner / Divinator

Barbarian + Wizard = Viscerator

Cipher + Druid = Sage / Dreamwalker

Cipher + Ranger = Wisperer

Monk + Ranger = Glaive

Chanter + Monk = Bonze / Vagabond (credit to Osvir, but I agree this is a good fit too)

Rogue-Lite... it will be a rogue mixed with a druid that carries less and weaker but moves faster and lighter. Makes sense right?

Juggernaut... a tanked Barbarian with the attritributes of a knight.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Juggernaut should be Barbarian/Paladin.

oath taker

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)