Vote for the name of our community pirate order!

What is your favorite name for our community pirate crew?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Vote on the name of our crew!

• Obsidian Marauders
    • Black Isle Bastards
    • Crew of the Obsidian Pearl
    • Raiders of the Obsidian Isle
    • Deadfire Pirates
    • The Obsidian Flag
    • Ondra's Oyster
    • Pirates of the Obsidian Order
    • Buccaneers of the Obsidian Order
    • Deadfire Corsairs of the Obsidian Order
    • Buccaneers of the Blackrock
    • Obsidian Oyster Cult
    • Corsairs of the Obsidian Ocean
    • Buccaneers of the Obsidian Ocean
    • other (please specify)

Aye, "Black Isle" also be directly referrin' to the bloodline of this very game series, not to be forgettin' that isles also be directly tied to the sea. Where we be sailin'.

Although the legitimacy of me birth be not in question, "Black Isle Bastards" be gettin' me vote, ye scurvy dogs.

• Like 1

What greater cause is there, than the jingling of coin in my pocket?

...the jingling of coin in your pocket.

You misunderstood me. I just don't think that "Black Isle Bastards" is the perfect solution for marketing the fundraiser . It's hard to grasp the concept for outstanders if there is neither the game nor the company directly mentioned in the name. Of course do I know that Feargus once worked for Black Isle and so did Josh but not everybody knows that or makes the connection instantly. Back for PoE we included both Obsidian (Entertainment) and (Project) Eternity in the name of the fundraiser gruop on purpose in order to make the whole thing not only fun but also as accessible as possible. Just my 2 cents, I don't want to criticize anybody or spoil the fun. If you're happy with the name, by all means take it and begin to collect some dollarz... ;)

Edited by LordCrash
  • Like 2
35167v4.jpg

You misunderstood me. I just don't think that "Black Isle Bastards" is the perfect solution for marketing the fundraiser . It's hard to grasp the concept for outstanders if there is neither the game nor the company directly mentioned in the game.

Amen.

:skull: SHARKNADO :skull:

You misunderstood me. I just don't think that "Black Isle Bastards" is the perfect solution for marketing the fundraiser . It's hard to grasp the concept for outstanders if there is neither the game nor the company directly mentioned in the game. Of course do I know that Feargus once worked for Black Isle and so did Josh but not everybody knows that or makes the connection instantly. Back for PoE we included both Obsidian (Entertainment) and (Project) Eternity in the name of the fundraiser gruop on purpose in order to make the whole thing not only fun but also as accessible as possible. Just my 2 cents, I don't want to criticize anybody or spoil the fun. If you're happy with the name, by all means take it and begin to collect some dollarz... ;)

However, to be fair, they've already used the Obsidian Order of Eternity and it exists as an entity "in-game".  Other than creating a pirate branch, a good argument could exist that having two Obsidian groups seems odd - what is this obsession with Obsidian named groups in Eora?

So in that sense I understand the preference to step away from Obsidian with Black Isle.  The alternative would be using some synonym for Obsidian (colour: Onyx, Raven, Atramentus; stone - Agate, Chalcedony, Silica) over just using Obsidian.  Other ways to tie it back to Obsidian would be to do some sort of weird internal reference that might be more obscure that Black Isle.  "The Alpha Sea Agents"?  "South Sea Parkas"? "The Ocean Siegers"? "The Always Day Sailors"? "Knights of the Old Valian Republic"? "The Sea POEts"?

• Like 4

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

You misunderstood me. I just don't think that "Black Isle Bastards" is the perfect solution for marketing the fundraiser . It's hard to grasp the concept for outstanders if there is neither the game nor the company directly mentioned in the game. Of course do I know that Feargus once worked for Black Isle and so did Josh but not everybody knows that or makes the connection instantly. Back for PoE we included both Obsidian (Entertainment) and (Project) Eternity in the name of the fundraiser gruop on purpose in order to make the whole thing not only fun but also as accessible as possible. Just my 2 cents, I don't want to criticize anybody or spoil the fun. If you're happy with the name, by all means take it and begin to collect some dollarz... ;)

However, to be fair, they've already used the Obsidian Order of Eternity and it exists as an entity "in-game".  Other than creating a pirate branch, a good argument could exist that having two Obsidian groups seems odd - what is this obsession with Obsidian named groups in Eora?

So in that sense I understand the preference to step away from Obsidian with Black Isle.  The alternative would be using some synonym for Obsidian (colour: Onyx, Raven, Atramentus; stone - Agate, Chalcedony, Silica) over just using Obsidian.  Other ways to tie it back to Obsidian would be to do some sort of weird internal reference that might be more obscure that Black Isle.  "The Alpha Sea Agents"?  "South Sea Parkas"? "The Ocean Siegers"? "The Always Day Sailors"? "Knights of the Old Valian Republic"? "The Sea POEts"?

That is exactly my line of reasoning.

Also who says that the Black Isle isn't black because of obsidian... ;)

• Like 1

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

"The Alpha Sea Agents"?  "South Sea Parkas"? "The Ocean Siegers"? "The Always Day Sailors"? "Knights of the Old Valian Republic"? "The Sea POEts"?

"Sea Peoples".

​This might belong in Option A and, yeah, pretty bland, but it's what the first documented pirates were called.

​Obsidian Sea Peoples, what is "Sea Peoples" in Engwithan?

Sailing a steady warship made in obsidian, with obsidian cannons and cannonballs, obsidian tools, obsidian weapons and armor, and gloss black sails, and let's not forget the clickety obsidian peg leg.

Sandstorms (Fig):

Dynamic Weather

In addition to the rich and diverse environments, Pillars II will feature intense and immersive dynamic weather. Rains, fierce winds and sandstorms are among the harsher conditions that are commonplace in Deadfire. You’ll even hear the rain pounding on the roof when you go inside.

​​

This is Arabic inspired.

​"Sea Peoples" & "Setting" fits?

Battle of the Delta, "also known under several other names, such as Tjekker, Peleset, and Sherden".

The Incursions of the Sea People.

Edited by Osvir

The poll will end on Sunday 5th February, 2017 at 11:59 PM GMT+0

I really doubt this polling deadline is necessary anymore, given how the poll's looking... ;) 

I wish this was a done deal sooner, so that we get to back Obsidian the pirate way pronto.

• Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

The poll will end on Sunday 5th February, 2017 at 11:59 PM GMT+0

I really doubt this polling deadline is necessary anymore, given how the poll's looking... ;)

I wish this was a done deal sooner, so that we get to back Obsidian the pirate way pronto.

First we need confirmation that Obsidian is okay with a crew called "Black Isle Bastards" on their forum.

I mean, they could rather not want that and it would be totally understandable.

The word "Bastard" has a negative connotation of course. But we don't mean it that way.

We don't want to disrespect the former Black Isle Studios that way, quite the opposite.

Still, if they'd rather we don't use that name, then we'd need a new one. Or we would simply pick the

second highest vote.

Edited by Fluffle

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Well since we can't vote for multiple, Going with the 2nd highest would be less than ideal. I'd say we should ask about the front runner right away.

paging @Aarik D 

• Like 1

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

Well since we can't vote for multiple, Going with the 2nd highest would be less than ideal. I'd say we should ask about the front runner right away.

paging @Aarik D 

Aarik already knows, he was the one who told me that he wanted to ask the team first ;)

Bastard is not an insult. Mostly relative in what you are a bastard. This can be prestigious, funny, ridiculous or more insulting indeed. But there is the choice. The way we present them will do the rest.

It is a great name for pirates. And it is more a tribute.

Edited by theBalthazar
  • Like 2

Well since we can't vote for multiple, Going with the 2nd highest would be less than ideal. I'd say we should ask about the front runner right away.

paging @Aarik D

Aarik already knows, he was the one who told me that he wanted to ask the team first ;)

Ah fair enough. I still think if it turns out to be taboo we should re do the vote, or let people change their responses first.

• Like 1

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

Well since we can't vote for multiple, Going with the 2nd highest would be less than ideal. I'd say we should ask about the front runner right away.

paging @Aarik D

Ah fair enough. I still think if it turns out to be taboo we should re do the vote, or let people change their responses first.

Oh yes of course. I had overlooked that. Since this is not a multiple choice poll, I'd make a new poll of course.

if "black isle" is the problem, then simple change to black island or isle of black.

as for "bastards,"  well, the board software don't mind, but if the black isle folks find it discourteous or vulgar, am understanding.  

fluffle wouldn't be happy as we can't think o' a replacement which results in the same alliteration, but we can change out "bastards" and revote.  misbegotten mutineers o' black island?

the possibility o' obsidian objecting to a combination of "black isle" and "bastards" were contemplated in the other badge name thread.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/91356-community-pirate-order-unique-forum-badge/?p=1879750

given how aarik wants a final by friday, we hope he informs us asap if there is a need for a change. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

given how aarik wants a final by friday, we hope he informs us asap if there is a need for a change. 

HA! Good Fun!

I understood "by the end of the week" as sunday :p

hence the date for the ending of the poll then

BIB be the only one I do no be taking a liking to.

Voted Obsidian Flag - noted it be having no chance to win - deleted vote and went for Obsidian Marauders.

'Cheatin' ye say?  I do be a pirate! :p:skull:

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Hey everyone!

Great news! I am happy to announce that you will now be referred as the Black Isle Bastards! Unless, you guys vote otherwise ;)

Yeahh whohoooo, thank you Aarik!

Since I assume that it is rather unlikely that the vote is going to change I expect us to be in fact the "Black Isle Bastards".

I can leave the poll running until Sunday because I should stick to my word. I don't expect much to change though.

Anyway, now that the current preferred name has been greenlit, we need a Jolly Roger ;)

And if the vote indeed sticks with "Black Isle Bastards" then I would like to use the Black Isle Studio logo. Not as a standalone of course, but somehow incorporated into a proper Jolly Roger.

However, that may infringe copyright.

Does anyone have thoughts on that? How could we handle that if we wanted to use that logo?

And more importantly DO we want to use the logo at all?

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 1

Or we could wait for our forum badge and model our Jolly Roger after it. :o