Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Laptop suggestions

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2716 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I checked a couple of reviews to make sure, and it looks like around the best that can be expected practically is ~2 hours. I'm fairly impressed it made it that long.

• ShadySands likes this

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3347 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

If it lasts 3 hours I'd be happy

If it's less then that then probably not

I'm just curious. Why not plug your laptop into a wall?

Not always an option for my use case

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5588 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I use my HP Omen laptop for work on the-go (TV-editing and such) and for some gaming when the going gets chill.

You could go for a 17" screen like here:

http://laptopmedia.c...hat-users-want/

Buy as new a model as you can. The keyboard is excellent, the sound too (Bang Olufsen). Graphics and colour fidelity is pretty darn good as well, but some weird setting made half of it look like crap (until I realized that the entire system had automatically put "lighter" apps and programs to integrated motherboard graphics for battery saving.) Battery time decent 3-4 h if you run it super-hard with high graphics and pretty illuminated screen and all. When word processing and working in Excel, I've pressed it beyond 6h, IIRC.

I settled on a 15" screen, just to bring down the price. I didn't want to pay more than 1,000 Euros last summer.

I re-programmed the touch-pad a bit, so I get a scroll wheel function on it, but those pad buttons were a bit stiff when it was brand-new. 

It makes a bit of a noise if you press it for long on some tough graphical task, I'm not bothered one bit by it, though.

Here's mine (mind you, I got hold of a juicy 20% discount at that time):

https://www.notebook...w.236264.0.html

• ShadySands likes this

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 7550 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • PSN Portable ID:Unfrozen_Keyrock
I'll be in the market for a new laptop in the not too distant future. Having switched careers to trucking, while I could theoretically put my desktop in the sleeper cab, a laptop is a lot more practical for my needs and my current laptop is getting quite old.

Too bad I'm going to be forced to go Team Green as AMD hasn't put out a dedicated mobile gpu in a couple years and their APUs, while nice, are just not powerful enough for my gaming needs. If I were to buy today I'd be looking for something with a 17" screen and a gtx 1060, but since the 11xx series is almost here, I might as well wait for laptops with a gtx 1160 in it. That might also force me to go with Intel for the cpu as I don't even know if they make laptops with AMD cpus and Nvidia gpus. That seems likean unholy union.

Edited by Keyrock, 27 July 2018 - 05:07 PM.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7909 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Kickstarter Backer
Sister's laptop is old in the tooth and so is mine, so want to take hers after I get her a new one. Only real requirements are that it can handle Sims 4 and should have a good bit of life in it going forward. Anyone have reccomendations ? Budget is ~1500 CAD (so basically 1k USD)

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3237 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Not sure how much screen you are going for but this one looks decent
https://www.pcrichar...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds
  • Keyrock likes this

Keyrock

Keyrock

• Members
  • 7550 posts

Yeah, do you want a 15.6" screen or a 17.3" screen?

If you don't mind getting to the upper end of your budget, this seems like a decent choice:

https://www.newegg.c...N82E16834154829

It has a beefy hexa-core CPU that should keep you covered for years to come as far as compute tasks and a GTX 1060 which will play pretty much anything at 1080p at med settings or higher.  The SSD is only 128 GB and the 1 TB HDD runs at a snail's pace 5400 RPM, but that's expected at this price.

Speaking of which, I'm also in the market for a laptop right now.  I was going to wait until laptop versions of the Nvidia 20xx cards came out, but those are likely not happening until several months into 2019 and I don't want to wait that long.  Also, having seen the price and performance of the RTX 2080Ti, 2080, and 2070 desktop cards compared to the previous generation cards and my belief that that trend will continue with the laptop variants, I see no point in waiting to buy a similarly performing product for more money 3 or 4 months down the line.  Since I'm earning a bit more money now and my original plans of building a new desktop rig went out the window when I changed careers to trucking (no point in investing in a rig I'll only be able to use 4 or 5 days a month) I'm thinking of going all out with the lappy and getting something truly beefy, and it has to have a 17.3" screen.  With that in mind, I'm seriously considering this monster:

https://www.newegg.c...N82E16834234811

The downsides are that it's thick and heavy, which aren't a big deal since it will mostly be residing in the storage compartment in the back of my semi.  Also, it has a 7th gen quad-core CPU, albeit the absolute top of the line, rather than a 8th gen hexa-core, but for gaming quad-core is still king, the extra 2 cores do essentially nothing for gaming at this point and at least until the PS5 and XBOX Negative 1 Billion come out, assuming those consoles push core counts higher.  Also, it's refurbished, which always has a bit of a risk associated with it.  That said, I can't see getting a lappy with anywhere near these specs for under $2K that's NOT refurbished or used.  32GB of 2800 MHz DDR4 (overkill honestly), GTX 1080, and 2 256 GB NvME SSDs in Raid 0 which should damn near insta-load almost anything.  Thoughts?  Suggestions?

Sarex

Sarex

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1918 posts

What happened with ryzen mobile? Did it not meet expectations?

Keyrock

Keyrock

• Members
  • 7550 posts

AMD's APUs are great for casual gaming but just don't have enough oomph for hardcore gaming, not at anything above very low settings.  AMD hasn't really made a specific laptop variant of their discrete GPUs in several years.  There are some laptops out there that actually run desktop AMD ryzen chips and discrete Radeon cards in a laptop, but they tend to run extremely hot and have dismal battery life because that's what happens when you put desktop components in the small form factor of a laptop.  And even then they lag behind Nvidia's higher-end laptop GPUs in performance.  As far as finding a laptop with a AMD CPU and a Nvidia GPU, they may exist, but good luck finding them.  You're generally getting either AMD/AMD or Intel/Nvidia.  Sadly, in the gaming laptop segment, at the moment, AMD/AMD just doesn't compete with Intel/Nvidia.

Edited by Keyrock, 21 November 2018 - 09:38 AM.

• Malcador and Sarex like this

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7909 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Kickstarter Backer

15 inch is fine, I think.  I was thinking of the Lenovo y530, even though it is kind of expensive https://www.newegg.c...-346-_-Productt - the cheapest place I've seen it has been Walmart of all places. MSI's are tempting but I keep hearing they have heat issues and the builds are fragile.

Edited by Malcador, 21 November 2018 - 12:08 PM.

Sarex

Sarex

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1918 posts

I would go for the refurbished asus tbh, those specs are really tempting for that price.

• Keyrock likes this

Keyrock

Keyrock

• Members
  • 7550 posts

I would go for the refurbished asus tbh, those specs are really tempting for that price.

Yeah, I'm going to go ahead an pull the trigger on that ASUS.

• Sarex likes this

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2716 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

They're doing OK, though as Keyrock said their APU graphics while very good for integrated graphics (eg the 2400G's Vega11 is better than a discrete 1030 when even the best Intel integrated is a joke for gaming) is well below a decent discrete card especially since laptops tend to have bad configurations for Ryzen's design like slow, single channel RAM.

Zen 2 and 'proper' chiplet design ought to help with that a fair bit though when low margin laptop chips will get to 7nm will be a bit of a question. In theory chiplet design could mean 580/ 1060 level integrated graphics, but at the moment that's very much in theory. 

Mobile is also a pretty high inertia market, and Intel has dominated it for ages.

• Sarex likes this

Keyrock

Keyrock

• Members
  • 7550 posts

I got my ASUS lappy today. Looks awesome and weighs a ton. I love the brushed aluminum look.  :dancing:

Now to check it out and make sure it's in working order, then I'll format the drives and install Linux on it.  :brows:

• mkreku, ShadySands and Sarex like this

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4782 posts

Anyone have experience with the MSI lineup. I know it's 'gamer' branding (yuck) but,  they are on the cheap side for having  proper graphics cards in them and a lot of them stick to 1080p, which to my mind is smart on a laptop.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4782 posts

Is this a good deal for roundabout 1800 euro. 

https://www.pricerun...mmenlign-Priser

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4782 posts

What should you buy to avoid the spectre CPU vulnerability and big impact patches. 

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4782 posts

I just read up on it a bit and it seems like it amounts to less than 5%, so. Yeah. possibly still worth it getting an older CPU because of the price difference. 

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2716 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Spectre/ Meltdown patches affect some things more than that, but you would not generally be doing them on a laptop. For gaming and general usage they're largely irrelevant as the CPU isn't the limiting factor anyway in most cases.

All the 6000-9000 series Intels are the same architecture with almost no improvement core/ core apart from clock speed.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4782 posts

Got a cheaper Lenovo. Discovered they stuck 16 gb in it even though I only paid for 8, not complaining. '

It came with Macafee. luls, how is that still at thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users