What You Did Today

Gorth

Got my new PC a few weeks ago and I was happy. I had it for 2 weeks before the GPU fried. Sent it in for repairs which took two weeks and got it back this week. Open the package and get read to plug in all the cables only to find out that the GPU is loose. I was so annyoed that I told them that I no longer want the piece of crap.

#whatanightmare #firstworldproblems

Edited by Labadal

What the heck is a "GOU"? I tried Googling it, but there were virtually no results.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Ah...I thought it was an acronym for some particular part of it, but you must mean...well, I'm not sure what you meant, since "GPU" just means "graphics processing unit", which is a pretty generic term for the overall unit, or perhaps the overall unit not including the fan/heatsink (i.e. the PCB). What exactly was loose on it?

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

What the heck is a "GOU"? I tried Googling it, but there were virtually no results.

Pretty easy to deduce that was a typo. And it is quite common to use that to refer to the card, not just the chip.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Could have been worse...they could have turned up dead. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Still more acceptable than rejection  :dancing:

I dunno, rejection loses its sting after a while :lol: Reading reviews of an old company, seeing "Good for people who don't want to learn new or like to work as slaves." under the Pro column cracked me up, mostly because it's true. Ah, I kind of miss working there

Pretty easy to deduce that was a typo. And it is quite common to use that to refer to the card, not just the chip.

Oh yeah, definitely...but even knowing that, I still had no idea what he meant. What was the GPU loose from? It's just a GPU, what's there for it to even be loose from? :unsure:

But now I understand that he meant it was loose from the tower and/or motherboard itself, which I now assume was sent in along with it, which I didn't catch in the initial post since I wasn't really expecting it, especially with as big of a deal as is being made up over it. Shoddy work, certainly...but hardly a huge deal, :p

Edited by Bartimaeus

Oh yeah, definitely...but even knowing that, I still had no idea what he meant. What was the GPU loose from? It's just a GPU, what's there for it to even be loose from? :unsure:

But now I understand that he meant it was loose from the tower and/or motherboard itself, which I now assume was sent in along with it, which I didn't catch in the initial post since I wasn't really expecting it, especially with as big of a deal as is being made up over it. Shoddy work, certainly...but hardly a huge deal, :p

It is when said computer broke after 2 weeks after delivery.

It's official. I'm gonna need a new car... And the money to buy it with.

Help?

Sorry to hear that man :/ What is going to happen with the wreck? Have they taken possession of it, or would you be able to sell spare parts from it?

I wish you were in Sweden, then I could've lent you a car.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

They have possession at an auction yard right now. I am still waiting on a final estimate to know exactly how much I get but I won't have the money for even a down payment at this point.

I can get a Mazda for about 13k from work but I don't know if they'll accept no down

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I talked to customer service about my computer and told them I'm returning it. They said that I had to pay $200. I kndly told them to do so and so and they agreed to scrap that and they'd take it back free of charge.

Been thinkng about quitting my job but not until I find a new one. It's been getting worse and worse. Not a surprise when we have changed bosses 5 times in 6 years.

Edited by Labadal

Met friend for chess, ended up glorious victory, screaming and fury.

• Like 2

Met friend for chess, ended up glorious victory, screaming and fury.

Never underestimate full-contact chess! ;)

Slept on a mattress for the first time since last week. I'm getting old and soft, quite liked not sleeping on the floor anymore :)

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

They have possession at an auction yard right now. I am still waiting on a final estimate to know exactly how much I get but I won't have the money for even a down payment at this point.

I can get a Mazda for about 13k from work but I don't know if they'll accept no down

****, that sucks. I doubt they can get as much at an auction yard as you could get selling the spares. Do you have to get such an expensive car though? Would'nt it be better to get some sort of "beater" or similar that you can get to get from point a to b? Maybe for a few hundred dollars or so?

I talked to customer service about my computer and told them I'm returning it. They said that I had to pay $200. I kndly told them to do so and so and they agreed to scrap that and they'd take it back free of charge.

Been thinkng about quitting my job but not until I find a new one. It's been getting worse and worse. Not a surprise when we have changed bosses 5 times in 6 years.

What was it that you did for a living at the moment?

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

****, that sucks. I doubt they can get as much at an auction yard as you could get selling the spares. Do you have to get such an expensive car though? Would'nt it be better to get some sort of "beater" or similar that you can get to get from point a to b? Maybe for a few hundred dollars or so?

The way insurance works is they have to give you the fair value of the vehicle as it was when you wrecked (minus your deductible). They do it both based off the KBB value of the vehicle and what vehicles of similar design are going for in your region.

Looking at it a quick canvass shows that I'd be about 1k or even just 500 bucks out of pocket (just a google search has my car, a 2006 RSX with 89k miles on it, at about 10/9k for my region). Still not a good feeling to have to say "I need an auto loan plus 500 bucks".

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Damn, 142000km is nothing. I've got a '98 Volvo 940 that's done 350000km's. Yours is barely broken in.

I really hate insurance companies, atleast the ones here in Sweden. They never really take into account what condition your car was/is in. if something was to happen to my car, I would probably get no more than 500$ for it, despite paying four times as much.

I've got a principle that I never am going to take a loan in my entire life, so I would'nt ever be able to get such a nice car. =)

What was it that you did for a living at the moment?

Working at a school in a district with mostly immigrants. Things are going downhill, not only in the school, but in the whole area. The kids have seen messed up things for so long that it makes these things normal to them and they start aping such behaviour from older kids/ teenagers. The bosses over here don't have any balls (they're women but you know what I mean). I've lost all respect for them. And no, I don't dislike female bosses because I have only had female bosses for all the years I have worked here and liked most of them.

When I was told who would become our boss a few months ago, I almost choked, with good reason it seems.

Working at a school in a district with mostly immigrants. Things are going downhill, not only in the school, but in the whole area. The kids have seen messed up things for so long that it makes these things normal to them and they start aping such behaviour from older kids/ teenagers. The bosses over here don't have any balls (they're women but you know what I mean). I've lost all respect for them. And no, I don't dislike female bosses because I have only had female bosses for all the years I have worked here and liked most of them.

When I was told who would become our boss a few months ago, I almost choked, with good reason it seems.

I thought I remembered you being a teacher. How old are these kids? I don't doubt such a school would be messed up without some strict dicipline, but I doubt that would be easily accomplished. Atleast without a competent headmaster/mistress.

My cousin is a headmaster in Västervik, don't remember what school though, and his sister is a teacher here in the west.

I'm looking forward to meeting them both after watching a documentary (Uppdrag granskning) about grades in the school system and how they've turned into a way for schools to increase their funding more than determining the students competency, and how headmasters have gone in and changed the grades afterwards and raised their grades if teachers themselves refused. It'll be interesting to hear if they've experienced anything similar. :)

What do you teach?