Music. Must. Go on!

Gorth

Evanescence is carried by Amy Lee. It's one of those cases where I wish a band's vocalist would just join up with some other talented musicians (another example woul be Elize Ryd from Amaranthe).

Speaking of Gothic*:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c4MhVz4_Yo

Herr Mannelig was part of the Gothic (the game :p) soundtrack. Some versions shipped without it due to licensing issues.

I enjoy a bt of In Extremo every now and then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCM-3Qg_mXU

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Evanescence is carried by Amy Lee. It's one of those cases where I wish a band's vocalist would just join up with some other talented musicians (another example woul be Elize Ryd from Amaranthe).

Speaking of Gothic*:

Herr Mannelig was part of the Gothic (the game :p) soundtrack. Some versions shipped without it due to licensing issues.

I enjoy a bt of In Extremo every now and then.

That's an awesome version of Herr Mannelig, it's a really sad song though which doesn't carry aswell in their style, but damn is it good.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

It all falls back to the vocalists, doesn't it? :p I can't place the blame on Amy Lee for my distaste of the band but personally I'm not a fan of her voice - it is not something I detest the way I do shrieking divas like Whitney Houston or Mariah Carey, but I've yet to hear a performance from her in which I've found anything remarkable. She feels very middle of the pack. That said, I did enjoy that In Extremo track you posted. :grin:

Speaking of great vocalists...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rejizpNR20A

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I can't help it, I'm a sucker for "peppy" metal;

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

majestic I prefer this version of Herr Mannelig. My mother tongue is actually Swedish despite I am born in Finland and I have done military service in Finland army and I am a fairly respected  (not some newbie that rents only one apartment to others) member of

Finnish Landlord Association
http://vuokranantajat.fi/en/

I have also worked and lived both in Finland and Sweden and my ancestors are Vikings!

Well since the majority in the forums are English speaking an explanation. This is an actual old Viking song dating back like 500-600 years ago. It tells

about a fearsome and dangerous Woman Troll who falls in love in a young human Man and try to make him to marry her and offering lots of gifts

if he accepts her offer.

Exact translation with words

Early one morning before the sun rose up Before the birds began to sing

The mountain troll proposed to the handsome young man

She had a false tongue Sir Mannelig, Sir Mannelig, will you be betrothed to me?

For that, I offer you gifts very gladly Surely you can answer but yes or no If you wish to or not

To you I wish to give the twelve steeds That go in the grove of roses

Never has there been any saddles upon them Nor bridles in their mouths Sir Mannelig, Sir Mannelig, will you be betrothed to me?

For that, I offer you gifts very gladly Surely you can answer but yes or no If you wish to or not

To you I wish to give the twelve mills That stand between Tillö and Ternö The stones are made of the reddest gold

And the wheels are laden with silver Sir Mannelig, Sir Mannelig, will you be betrothed to me?

To you I wish to give a glistening gilded sword That klings of fifteen gold rings And battle you will, however you will fight, the battles victory surely shall be yours!

Sir Mannelig, Sir Mannelig, will you be betrothed to me?

For that, I offer you gifts very gladly Surely you can answer but yes or no If you wish to or not To you I wish to give a shirt so new The best you will want to wear It was not sewn by needle or thread But woven of white silk

Sir Mannelig, Sir Mannelig, will you be betrothed to me?

For that, I offer you gifts very gladly

Surely you can answer but yes or no If you wish to or not Such gifts I would surely accept If thou wert a Christian (or christ like) woman

However, thou art the vilest mountain troll With the voice of Näcken and the Devil Sir Mannelig, Sir Mannelig, will you be betrothed to me?

The mountain troll ran out the door She shakes and wails in rage Had I got the handsome young man I would have got rid of my torment Herr Mannelig, Herr Mannelig, will you be betrothed to me? For that, I offer you gifts very gladly Surely you can answer but yes or no If you wish to or not

Edited by Terminator
  • Like 2

The song isn't about a "troll" per se, in old Swedish it could just aswell be "trollkvinnan från bergen" or "The Witch from the mountain", there is also a theory that the woman was under a curse to look like a troll, hence the shaking and shrieking when he refuses to betrothe himself to her and complaining that he won't release her from her torment. Also, it's about a squire most likely and/or virgin since that is what "sven" is usually used as.

Also, the viking age was 800+ years ago by now. As a viking descendant you ought to know this, because this song his made after the christianization of Scandinavia. :)

The song isn't about a "troll" per se, in old Swedish it could just aswell be "trollkvinnan från bergen" or "The Witch from the mountain", there is also a theory that the woman was under a curse to look like a troll, hence the shaking and shrieking when he refuses to betrothe himself to her and complaining that he won't release her from her torment. Also, it's about a squire most likely and/or virgin since that is what "sven" is usually used as.

Also, the viking age was 800+ years ago by now. As a viking descendant you ought to know this, because this song his made after the christianization of Scandinavia. :)

They still had vikings when the Christians where around, didn't they?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Not in the 1400's, there might've been pockets in really remote locations, but generally christianity was well on it's way to be the dominant religion by the 1100's if not the dominant religion.

If I recall correctly, between year 1100 and 1300 they built about 6000 new churches in Sweden alone.

Edited by Azdeus

Played a little bit of New Vegas yesterday and this showed up in my youtube recommendations list today;

So many new releases happening right now. New Arcade Fire, new The National, new Foo Fighters, new Grizzly Bear, new Alt-J, ... Half of it (the songs I've heard so far) feels very mediocre, though. I dunno what it is, but something is always missing... Maybe the problem is with me, not with the sound, dunno.

Also everyone is waiting for a new Tool release, but honestly, I don't need it. I'm happy with what exists and fear of getting a new overhyped turd is just so big. It's so many years since the last release, folks should move on.

On the other hand, it is already 6 or what years since the last Patrick Wolf release. That's one of the things I would certainly look forward to.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Well yeah correct that song was written in medieval times but back then they probably remembered better the Viking times and in

addition believed that trolls might exist.

Anyway change of subject in St Petersburg thread I have posted lots of Russian music.

Recently since this is a games thread while South Korea games have really not won me over (did not like neither Tera or Blade and Soul ) I do follow with

interest if the game Lost Ark will be released in Europe and USA (hopefully yes).

Here is one of the new K-POP (Korea POP = South Korea Pop). Keep in mind that they have huge popularity and sell well also due to China population

and consumers both regarding computer games and music.

This teasing come a bit closer...but also it has trick and treat in the title makes me thing about either it is prostitution... and/or

unnatural horror theme Magic. For example in Asia Horror movies and stories about Ghosts are fairly popular. I should know

since I like Action and Horror movies. What else do I know about Korea culture. Probably not much more then you though I have met many

Koreans and I have won a silver medal as 17 year (none adults) in a Tae Kwon Do local martial arts tournament. In adults 18+ it is much tougher

because there are more black belts and black belts before 18+ age are rare.

All know that Thailand has huge amount of prostitution is out of the roof statistics? Prostitution is legal in my country Finland and I support that idea.

Anyway for your information South Korea has like Finland the prostitution not so openly displayed but there exist huge amount of prostitution in South Korea

and this despite it not a poor country like Thailand. Same can be said for Germany and Amsterdam in Europe neither of them are poor areas.

Please do not get me wrong. I have had girlfriends and support family values and I am uncle to my brothers children. I am also very much against trafficking

and all trades and professions should be done voluntary.

However I believe that legal way i.e Germany way is the correct way to do it.

Well not convinced it could be about what I think?This is the dance version of the same tune:

Anyway cool song and I so like it since I like also Horror theme and Halloween.

Edited by Terminator

I really liked that Garmarna track, anything else sort of in that style? Something equally beautiful and epic. I like the sort of ballad quality to it. Definitely sort of feeling Norse aesthetic, but it doesn't have to be. Gaelic or even Bulgarian, whatever.

I really liked that Garmarna track, anything else sort of in that style? Something equally beautiful and epic. I like the sort of ballad quality to it. Definitely sort of feeling Norse aesthetic, but it doesn't have to be. Gaelic or even Bulgarian, whatever.

A couple of recs that come to mind are the album Bilé Inferno by Czech artists Iva Bittová and Vladimír Václavec (Bittová's vocals can be an acquired taste though - picture Ravel Puzzlewell singing :grin: ):

Nico's albums Desertshore and The Marble Index...

And Hungarian folk group Muzsikás:

• Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Nordman, an old Swedish band that has some great songs;

There's Eluveities Arcane Dominion album, they're normally more of a folk metal band, but they toned it down a bit for a couple of songs.

Also, this song;

There's also Corvus Corax

Edited by Azdeus

can always use a little boom-boom.

HA! Good Fun!

A little boom-boom, you say? ;)

We can do with some more french pop, can't we?

Yeah, sure. :lol:

And now to something entirely different... :brows:

Edited by PhantomEidolon
  • Like 2

You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin

:cat:

I forgot to mention Gjallarhorn

• Like 1