What You Did Today

Rosbjerg

Thought about it long and hard and came to a major decision today

If I had the choice of living in either the Star Trek universe or the Star Wars universe which one would I choose?

Trek. 

shady is asking to get messed up by an evil genie.  star wars universe is our universe, no?  is "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away," but is same universe, yes?  and star trek in 2016 is a few years before impending ww3, no? 

HA! Good Fun!

So if it's Star Wars you're a long time dead. And if it's Star Trek you'll be dead shortly, or living under the rule of Khan Nonnien Singh. Tough choice. Well if it's the latter I hope is the Ricardo Montablan version and not whoever that jackass in that awful movie was.

But to address Shady's question seriously I'd choose Star Trek. All the Star Wars movies I've seen was ruled by a huge oppressive government. One was a dysfunctional representative republic, the other a monarchical dictatorship. One had a bunch of hippies in brown shirts as "above the law enforcers" the other had storm-troopers led by a man in black that killed people indiscriminately. Neither sounds appealing.

Now the United Federation sounds like a pretty sweet place to live. No money, replicators to give you whatever you want, all this "we work to better ourselves" crap. That sounds to me like I don't need a job. I can fish and play Stellaris & PoE all day.

See? It wasn't such a hard choice!  :lol:

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

is a trick question.  actual answer is: the a-team tv universe.  virtual all the women is attractive and car crashes is never fatal.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 4

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Star Trek definitely seems like the better place to live as your average citizens.  People keep blowing up planets in Star Wars.

yes, but behind the scenes that show the brave frontier explorers and defenders of the peace, the federation is a totalitarian state. there is evidence of it scattered throughout the various series and films

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Thought about it long and hard and came to a major decision today

If I had the choice of living in either the Star Trek universe or the Star Wars universe which one would I choose?

Trek.

You are dead to me.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Star Trek definitely seems like the better place to live as your average citizens.  People keep blowing up planets in Star Wars.

yes, but behind the scenes that show the brave frontier explorers and defenders of the peace, the federation is a totalitarian state. there is evidence of it scattered throughout the various series and films

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPqx9XVRYP4

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Well we're going to get Shadowrun so either would be better than that.

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Well we're going to get Shadowrun so either would be better than that.

That would be a great scenario for Native Americans.

Well judging by the state of certain reservations, it's not like it could be much worse.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Well judging by the state of certain reservations, it's not like it could be much worse.

Unless you have qualms about murdering people, the Great Ghost Dance was pretty vicious stuff.

And I really, really, really don't want to be turned to a troll. Or Orc. Owwww.

Then again, I'd prefer Shadowrun to say Cyberpunk 2020...

Played DnD today and yesterday, the campaign Out of the Abyss. The GM's girlfriend has put Hoard of the Dragonqueen on hold, and I've got to take vacation from my job to get my own campaign going again. Got a tonne of things to write and jig and match up.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Saw something I never thought I'd see, a dude blasting Manowar in his car.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I disagree. Your planet blowing up is a short-term inconvenience wheras those in the Star Trek universe have to keep putting up with horrendous diseases, scientific disasters, weird space ****, insane AI, the inability to wear red without it being a life-or-death decision and mandatory pajama ensembles. 

• Like 1

As long as I don't have to live in the WH40K universe... ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Well, it would be nice being a Rogue Trader or similar...

As long as you're not a normal person it would be nice.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

That's odd, you would find decent work what with all the flying skulls and what not.

Just realized I joined this board 11 years (+2 days) ago.

If we also count the old Black Isles boards, how long have you guys been discussing games?

Shouldn't it be 12 years (this is 2016, join date is 2004)?

Anyhow...

I started on usenet rec.arts.games.* heirarchy around 1993.

Was a lurker on Interplay's threaded forums around 1999.

Joined Black Isle in around early to mid-2000.

Joined Obsidian in Feb 2004. 

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Was engaged in conversation by a lady here in the office but forgot to exchange names. So now have to seek her out and introduce myself.

• Like 1

My car is in the shop, and they gave me a sweet Audi Q5 as a rental. I am now planning out my next car purchase. I still have a year before I can buy, but I am thinking a Mazda 6 or a Jeep Cherokee. It is a commuter car, so the 6 makes more sense, but I love the new Cherokees.

Don't get the Cherokee. The transmission is terrible as it can't keep on the power at all. Get a six or an Accord.

I am in Oregon now. Stressing because of my cat being stressed out. Although that seems to mostly be because I am living in the bacement of a friends house who has two cats of her own and a dog. First real day at the job is tomorrow, but I stopped bye today

• Like 1

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

My car is in the shop, and they gave me a sweet Audi Q5 as a rental. I am now planning out my next car purchase. I still have a year before I can buy, but I am thinking a Mazda 6 or a Jeep Cherokee. It is a commuter car, so the 6 makes more sense, but I love the new Cherokees.

Don't get the Cherokee. The transmission is terrible as it can't keep on the power at all. Get a six or an Accord.

I am in Oregon now. Stressing because of my cat being stressed out. Although that seems to mostly be because I am living in the bacement of a friends house who has two cats of her own and a dog. First real day at the job is tomorrow, but I stopped bye today

Good luck!

Thomas Sowell

Would love to visit both on occasion, I think I would go full Brocolli in Trek-World and get addicted to the Holo-deck- Star Wars however is a fantasy setting, so plenty of opportunity for wild adventures and daring escapes. As long as you're a wideeyed kid or a scruffy nerdherder.

Just realized I joined this board 11 years (+2 days) ago.

If we also count the old Black Isles boards, how long have you guys been discussing games?

Shouldn't it be 12 years (this is 2016, join date is 2004)?

Anyhow...

I started on usenet rec.arts.games.* heirarchy around 1993.

Was a lurker on Interplay's threaded forums around 1999.

Joined Black Isle in around early to mid-2000.

Joined Obsidian in Feb 2004.

Hah you're right, I'm teaching 5th grade kids these days (12 years), I've been discussing on these boards since they were born. Maybe I should start branching out - then again, you've been going for 23 years, so obviously it's an expansive subject.

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

I had a dream where I owned a teleporting Segway and could teleport back and forth large distance on it, then ride it around locally.

Also Mickey Rooney was pestering me to let him use the Segway, and people I knew was mad at me for no longer having a work commute.

Then I woke up and found I still had to drive to work.  The end.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Wish I had weird dreams like that. I dream about buying light bulbs or being late to work. :p

• Like 1

Was engaged in conversation by a lady here in the office but forgot to exchange names. So now have to seek her out and introduce myself.

This is actually more relevant than you may realize. Many people considering remembering or asking for  names as  extremely important, I am terrible with names at times and this can be very embarrassing if you have a sales role so I worked out effective ways to get someones name so  you dont look silly 

In this case I would say something  " thanks for the chat the other day, I enjoyed it. Whats your name by the way, I am Malc" 

This way you are recognising the conversation as relevant but you also want to introduce yourself 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Wish I had weird dreams like that. I dream about buying light bulbs or being late to work. :p

Both concerns would be addressed with a teleporting Segway, let me tell you...

Edited by Amentep