Wand of Enervation resets dice

Eldicor

Question

I have a pattern of handling big checks with my partties, especially the final Alpha Strike on a villain. I use a weapon or spell, assign all blessings, then go back through looking for other bonuses to add. Twice now, I have used blessings from multiple characters and revealed a weapon or spell for combat checks, then Lem used the Wand of Enervation to reduce the difficulty. The screen sweeps away my accumulated dice and has me roll a d4 for the Wand, but when I come back to the combat check I only have a single die of the skill assigned to the combat check by the spell or weapon -- all other dice are gone, the spell or skill is still revealed, and characters who already played blessings may not play another. If more info can be helpful to track this bug down, please let me know. Thanks!

• Like 1

10 answers to this question

I alway recall I'm extra careful in using that wand in story mode because the cancellation bug is extra nasty with this one. I just always start the dice ramping by using the wand first if I want to use it at all, followed by adding other dice as necessary. In case you forget that and want to remove the wand, don't press the cancel button but try dragging.

As for the bug and general messing up the dice count it's part of the cancel bug that is widely acknowledged I think.

• Like 2

I have issues with it so e times....

Usually undiscarding or displaying and redoing it brings evrything back.

Note: dont push X thats just asking for trouble :p

Just physically take the card from wherever it is put in back in hand and redo action

Annoying but atkeast you get your dice back

I alway recall I'm extra careful in using that wand in story mode because the cancellation bug is extra nasty with this one.

What exactly is this 'cancellation' bug and why is it so bad with the Wand?

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

If you use wand after other card effects it does remove dies, and is you cancel those lost dies does not come back...

Hm. I lost the dice, but I was able to drag the discarded cards back into my hand (it automatically knocked back in my hand the revealed card) and then added the dice anew. Are you saying that if I press Cancel while the dice are gone - I won't get the discarded cards back in my hand and be able o play them again and make the dice appear anew?

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

If I remember right if you add the wand to combat check after other die ramping , and then decide it's overkill and want to take off other die, the wand kind of warp the computation of the dice on table. Or if u simply click the cancel button, everything including the wand falls back into your hand but your integer modifier to that combat check gets a -2 and its permament until you resolve that check. The net effect attempting to reset the dice sizing with that wand already involved is a deficit to your base roll for that check

Edited by Rhygar

This is a really interesting case of a seemingly meaningless distinction in physical play creating a huge headache for programmers for digital implementation.

If the wand added 2d4 or 1d4 + 4 to the check, it would work just like any other bonus card and implementing it would be utterly trivial.

Instead, the wand reduces the difficulty of the check, which means it has to break the usual flow of things -- the dice for the wand have to be rolled separately from, and before, all of the other dice.

If I were programming this wand, I'd probably make a voodoo doll of Mike Selinker and stuff it full of pins. :) The difference between adding to a check and reducing the difficulty of a check is almost never relevant, yet it changes the card implementation from "absolutely trivial" to "utter nightmare." I wonder if, as a stopgap measure, Obsidian will simply make this wand a 2d4 or 1d4 + 4 bonus (instead of a value reduction) for a while just to avoid wasting programmer-hours implementing a mostly pointless distinction that most players would never even notice or care about anyway.

Edited by Borissimo
  • Like 1

If I were programming this wand, I'd probably make a voodoo doll of Mike Selinker and stuff it full of pins. :) The difference between adding to a check and reducing the difficulty of a check is almost never relevant, yet it changes the card implementation from "absolutely trivial" to "utter nightmare." I wonder if, as a stopgap measure, Obsidian will simply make this wand a 2d4 or 1d4 + 4 bonus (instead of a value reduction) for a while just to avoid wasting programmer-hours implementing a mostly pointless distinction that most players would never even notice or care about anyway.

If I were programming it, I'd do just that , instead of bothering the voodoo doll. If the Wand was reducing the "difficulty to defeat a monster" - it might be important as many evasion effects care about the difficulty to defeat. As it is, it reduces "difficulty of combat check" and I, frankly, the implications are minimal - it would matter for cards like Waterfront, Warlord, Ambush, Scythe etc.that care about the number of dice rolled on a check - less than 10 in total, I believe. The purist in me would prefer to have the Wand implemented as intended, but as you say - it seems it's just not worth the programming overhead and stability issues.

• Like 1

I've always loved this wand, so was pretty bummed/annoyed when it was wigging out on me. Sounds like if you play the wand before anything else on a check, and don't cancel any cards played along the way, you will be ok though. Is that indeed the case?