Defining Social Justice Warrior

Hurlshort

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm not sure how much gas this had left anyway. I was going to make a post pointing out the disparity in the SJW confusion of equal opportunity vs/ equal outcome... but to hell with it.No one wanted to read it anyway.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Why would you want to vote for someone who laughs at rape victims?

Volo its fine to say that when its just us but when there is a new person on the forums a comment like that is.......odd and not really relevant to Hilary supporters

That is ok Bruce. In a forum titled Way Off Topic I would expect it to be an open discussion. I just can't believe Hillary would do such a thing. I imagine it wa either taken out of context or something someone edited to discredit her.

Switching topics a bit, I was born in Paris but left when I was three and consider Calif to be home. Other than the years in Paris, I have never been out of Southern Calif.

I have chatted with a lot of people from all around the globe and many feel Americans are all self absorbed bullies. Not true of course, maybe it was in the past, but with world wide news and communications happening everywhere, we are moving toward a World Centric Society, even in the States lol.

I have never been to California but there are several members who live there so you wont be alone :)

Yes, there often is criticism towards the USA  but its normally based on historical precedent or something that is exaggerated...like that book "Confessions of an Economic Hitman " 

The consideration with something like a " World Centric Society " is all countries need to contribute in there own way meaningfully and we have to all have certain universal values for it to work. So you cant have human rights abuses and things like gay and womens rights must be protected :)

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I don't see them as a problem. Anyone willing to fight for social justice is ok with me. However (BIG however) it really depends on the definition of social justice, yes?

Yes it does have different campaigns and SJ will differ depending where you live

I live in South Africa so my commitment and view of SJ will be different to someone living in Finland

I've never been to Finland, or South Africa for that matter. Have you ever been to the US?

Yes :)

Several times, we use to go   once a year to a partner symposium in Vegas 

The USA is the most amazing country, people outside the USA misunderstood it and tend to assume all Americans are the same 

Who you voting for ...please tell me Hilary?

I support Bernie at the moment, but will vote for whoever runs against Trump.

Ah yes, Bernie has got several supporters on this forum

But Bernie will throw his weight and get his supporters to vote for Hilary once the Democrat race is over...anything but 4 years of Trump

Well I hope it is Hillary throwing her support to Bernie :) however whichever gets nominated will get the support of the other. As for 4 years of Trump, do you think this country would survive for that long under Trump? (Snippy snide grin)

Yes ...despite all the rhetoric Trump cannot actually destroy the USA with his policies  but he can take the USA backwards around how people view the USA..and this gets complicated because each controversial thing he wants to do can have different consequences

But I keep telling my American friends ....Trump will lose horribly to Clinton, he has offended the biggest voting block in the USA. Women make up 53 % of all voting Americans. Trump is a sexist and clearly has no real respect for what women think...did you see that Megyn Kelly interview with Trump? 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I don't see them as a problem. Anyone willing to fight for social justice is ok with me. However (BIG however) it really depends on the definition of social justice, yes?

Yes it does have different campaigns and SJ will differ depending where you live

I live in South Africa so my commitment and view of SJ will be different to someone living in Finland

I've never been to Finland, or South Africa for that matter. Have you ever been to the US?

The USA is the most amazing country, people outside the USA misunderstood it and tend to assume all Americans are the same 

But Bernie will throw his weight and get his supporters to vote for Hilary once the Democrat race is over...anything but 4 years of Trump

Well I hope it is Hillary throwing her support to Bernie :) however whichever gets nominated will get the support of the other. As for 4 years of Trump, do you think this country would survive for that long under Trump? (Snippy snide grin)

Yes ...despite all the rhetoric Trump cannot actually destroy the USA with his policies  but he can take the USA backwards around how people view the USA..and this gets complicated because each controversial thing he wants to do can have different consequences

But I keep telling my American friends ....Trump will lose horribly to Clinton, he has offended the biggest voting block in the USA. Women make up 53 % of all voting Americans. Trump is a sexist and clearly has no real respect for what women think...did you see that Megyn Kelly interview with Trump?

I missed that interview. And I am afraid I mislead you a bit Bruce. I won't be old enough to vote here for two more years.

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm not sure how much gas this had left anyway. I was going to make a post pointing out the disparity in the SJW confusion of equal opportunity vs/ equal outcome... but to hell with it.No one wanted to read it anyway.

Thanks GD. If you have the time, I have lots of problems that need fixing! LOL

I missed that interview. And I am afraid I mislead you a bit Bruce. I won't be old enough to vote here for two more years.

:lol:  no problem

Do you think Trump is a sexist, what do your family think about him 

John Milton 

Apologies Hurlshot. I seem to have lead us off topic here. I will try to move our political discussion to another thread.

Hugs, Sadie

No worries, I was super impressed by the answers given in the first couple pages, but here in WoT it is standard operating procedure for threads to morph.  We like to blend all of our discussions together here.  

One that stood out to me was the grasshopper and the ant metaphor that GD mentioned.  My issue with it is I think there is a big problem with legitimate complaints about the plight of the real workers getting mixed up with the idea of government handouts.  It's not necessarily as simple as telling people on welfare to get a job, because a majority of them have one.  Over 50% of fast food workers rely on government handouts as well.  The widening gap between the top 1 percent and the rest of the country and the shrinking middle class have little to do with how hard people are working.    

Now I certainly don't believe that the answer to this issue is more handouts, and I'm as wary of unions as I am bigger government, but there has to be some sort of strategy that will reverse the current course.  

• Like 2

Apologies Hurlshot. I seem to have lead us off topic here. I will try to move our political discussion to another thread.

Hugs, Sadie

No worries, I was super impressed by the answers given in the first couple pages, but here in WoT it is standard operating procedure for threads to morph.  We like to blend all of our discussions together here.  

One that stood out to me was the grasshopper and the ant metaphor that GD mentioned.  My issue with it is I think there is a big problem with legitimate complaints about the plight of the real workers getting mixed up with the idea of government handouts.  It's not necessarily as simple as telling people on welfare to get a job, because a majority of them have one.  Over 50% of fast food workers rely on government handouts as well.  The widening gap between the top 1 percent and the rest of the country and the shrinking middle class have little to do with how hard people are working.    

Now I certainly don't believe that the answer to this issue is more handouts, and I'm as wary of unions as I am bigger government, but there has to be some sort of strategy that will reverse the current course.

Unfortunately our political system is designed such that real reform is very difficult. I don't have any good solutions other than everyone, and I mean everyone, come to their senses and quit being greedy and self serving.

My family: to start with I am adopted. My Dad is an a** who was glad to get rid of me and my Mother is rapidly dying of a brain tumor. I have no sibs. When I met the woman who agreed it would be a good idea to adopt me, she quickly worked out the details with my Dad and my Probation Officer for an adoption.

My new Mom is awesome. However, she has a huge Catholic family that are mostly right wingers. Mom is horrified by Trump. I love being a part of a huge family. The get togethers are insane! For Thanksgiving here, we had almost 90 people!

Edited by Sweet_Sadie
  • Like 1

My family: to start with I am adopted. My Dad is an a** who was glad to get rid of me and my Mother is rapidly dying of a brain tumor. I have no sibs. When I met the woman who agreed it would be a good idea to adopt me, she quickly worked out the details with my Dad and my Probation Officer for an adoption.

My new Mom is awesome. However, she has a huge Catholic family that are mostly right wingers. Mom is horrified by Trump. I love being a part of a huge family. The get togethers are insane! For Thanksgiving here, we had almost 90 people!

Holy Smoke ....that is a huge number of people 

But those big family events are great and its nice to be part of something like that ....but thats  lot of presents to buy for Xmas  ;)

John Milton 

sjw is a mark o' pride or ribbon o' shame... depending on pov.

in our professional and real life, Gromnir is frequent labeled as sjw.  why? our typical clients:  fringe california religious groups that bare escape cult label,  asian gangs. homeless folks whom we suspect is too long off their meds. the folks who come to us for help rare have sufficient money to pay their  legal fees and they is almost invariably seeking seeming trivial relief from The State. make a federal case (literal) out of the most minor First Amendment concerns one could care to imagine.  oh, and we is a frequent volunteer at the local catholic soup kitchen/food bank/homeless shelter. 

if we had a pony tail and bad suits, we would be classic sjw attorney, no? 

*shrug*

am not considering our self sjw. am doubting most obsidian boardies would use the sjw label to describe Gromnir. 

mother teresa, gandhi, mlk, and nelson mandela  is among the role models o' the modern sjw, yes?  is admirable role models, yes? for those proud to be called sjw, they sees self as carrying on a proud tradition.   

perspective.

if one believes that a cause is insignificant or too left, then they apply sjw label as a ribbon o' shame to the offending party.

too many a$$ shots o' hot female characters in games?  unisex bathrooms? idiot undergrads championing whatever is the cause du jour at berkeley? whatever.

Rosa-Parks-an-introvert-w-007.jpg

is just a seat on a bus.

am honest unsure what is the proper use o' sjw.  am of the opinion that the term is malleable and highly subjective.  curse in the mouth o' bob is gonna be a compliment when steve uses the same descriptor. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Well in South Africa and almost every country I have traveled to no one even knows what  a SJW is

Many people know what SJ is but the SJW concept seems primarily an American development that would have spread through the Internet 

I have said this numerous times but this concept of SJW becomes more divisive than helpful within the general gaming community 

John Milton 

To me SJWs have two defining traits:

Funny. Those two can apply to anyone.

My god! You know what this means? They are everywhere!

• Like 2

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

"cuck" is a man who lets his wife or significant other to sleep with others. The word is derived from "cuckhold", which happens in nature. The cuckoo bird lays its eggs in the nest of other species of birds who then feeds and raises them. It is meant to point out a man is such a failure at sexually pleasing his wife that his self-hatred of such drives him into allowing her, or directly helping her sleeping with others. 

That's a tellingly specific insult. Of course it originates from the alt-right; heck, it is the alt-right, neatly summarized in less than three lines of text.

I really haven't gotten a complete picture of the alt-right. It just seems like a bunch of youtube personalities that are neither conservative or libertanians.

My tinfoil-thinking-hat suggests either a honey-pot for easy money or controlled opposition.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

"cuck" is a man who lets his wife or significant other to sleep with others. The word is derived from "cuckhold", which happens in nature. The cuckoo bird lays its eggs in the nest of other species of birds who then feeds and raises them. It is meant to point out a man is such a failure at sexually pleasing his wife that his self-hatred of such drives him into allowing her, or directly helping her sleeping with others. 

That's a tellingly specific insult. Of course it originates from the alt-right; heck, it is the alt-right, neatly summarized in less than three lines of text.

I really haven't gotten a complete picture of the alt-right. It just seems like a bunch of youtube personalities that are neither conservative or libertanians.

My tinfoil-thinking-hat suggests either a honey-pot for easy money or controlled opposition.

Sargon of Akkad did a video outlining the general beliefs of the Alt-Right.

its pretty long, but there really isn't anything you need to watch so you can just have it on in the background. They are essentially right-wing SJWs.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I was going to make a post pointing out the disparity in the SJW confusion of equal opportunity vs/ equal outcome... 

I think you're conflating "equal outcome" and "maybe don't have so much of a gap between the haves and the have-nots that it literally kills people".

And Occam's Razor suggests most likely the former :p

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

And Occam's Razor suggests most likely the former :p

Yup, at least for those with patreon-links in their description, that's for sure.

As for the video by Sargon, it was pretty much what i expected. Everything from Hoppe, ethnocentrism, nationalism to the Dark Enlightment. It's like i am supposedly an SJW for thinking that there should be equal pay for work no matter what gender you have and that merit alone should be a priority. But he's preaching to the choir in his conclusions: the alt-right is rising as a reaction to the left, it didn't just pop into existence by random.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I was going to make a post pointing out the disparity in the SJW confusion of equal opportunity vs/ equal outcome... 

I think you're conflating "equal outcome" and "maybe don't have so much of a gap between the haves and the have-nots that it literally kills people".

I agree. And there are two ways to do that. Expand the economy so there is work and opportunity for all (a rising tide lifts all boats) or tax the living s--t out of everything in sight and use the money for "social welfare". The former solution creates equality by allowing the lower class to become middle class. The latter creates equality by moving the middle class into the lower class. The rich will still be rich no matter what. Those who don't work will still be depending on those who do to pay their way no matter what.

Now, given that those two options are mutually exclusive which one strikes you as best?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I agree. And there are two ways to do that. Expand the economy so there is work and opportunity for all (a rising tide lifts all boats) or tax the living s--t out of everything in sight and use the money for "social welfare". The former solution creates equality by allowing the lower class to become middle class.

Yeah, we've seen how well the "give money to the rich so they can create jobs for the poor" tactic worked so far.

Spoiler: it didn't.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I agree. And there are two ways to do that. Expand the economy so there is work and opportunity for all (a rising tide lifts all boats) or tax the living s--t out of everything in sight and use the money for "social welfare". The former solution creates equality by allowing the lower class to become middle class.

Yeah, we've seen how well the "give money to the rich so they can create jobs for the poor" tactic worked so far.

What do you mean it didnt work? On other hand I can assure you that other way around didn't worked for sure, 50 years of communism proves that pretty well

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

"identifying the whole of it with the most strident and caricaturesque of "right-wing" figures."

Kiddin' right? The left labels the right as racist, sexist, inhuman, etc. And,t hat is when theya re being kind. Both the left and right are trash. Theya re both scum.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Nothing he wrote says "Give money to the rich". Unless you think letting people keep the money they made is "giving it to them".

It's not about giving money to the rich. It about letting people keep more of the money they earn. Because they spend it, invest it, donate it, etc. Economic activity breeds economic activity. That is how an economy grows. And as economies grow more people get to participate and they pay taxes too. So by reducing taxes and expanding the economy government revenue actually increases because more people are earning more money and many are paying taxes who were not before. If you increase the taxes then those who spend and invest do less of both. The economy shrinks and there are fewer employment opportunities and more people need assistance and the government is forced to raise taxes again and that means fewer jobs and companies going overseas... you see the idea here?

It's not hard to grasp.

Thomas Sowell