Defining Social Justice Warrior

Hurlshort

"identifying the whole of it with the most strident and caricaturesque of "right-wing" figures."

Kiddin' right? The left labels the right as racist, sexist, inhuman, etc. And,t hat is when theya re being kind. Both the left and right are trash. Theya re both scum.

Volo you shouldn't think about yourself as scum just because you are aligned to .....some weird Canadian right wing group that probably only exists in Canada 

You notice I never say Im scum because even though I'm aligned to the " left " I believe we do more good than bad 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

In our current climate, the only people that are not struggling to increase their wealth are the rich.  The rising tide seems to be only raising the luxury yachts.  How do we (re)grow the middle class?

In our current climate, the only people that are not struggling to increase their wealth are the rich.  The rising tide seems to be only raising the luxury yachts.  How do we (re)grow the middle class?

In our current climate we are not growing our economy. Or even trying very hard to do so to tell the truth. If we want to turn that around a good start would be to elect some political leaders who haven't gone all-in on Keynesian economics and believe they can tax and spend our way into prosperity. I'm not talking about individual tax rates. Those are not that bad. I'm talking about the "cost of doing business" stuff that is driving employers overseas and nothing is taking their place.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

It's not about giving money to the rich. It about letting people keep more of the money they earn. Because they spend it, invest it, donate it, etc. Economic activity breeds economic activity.

Surely you must realize that somebody who needs the money to pay for basic amenities like housing, bills, food and clothing is more likely to spend it than literally anybody else. Giving money to people living below the poverty line is 100% sure to breed economic activity because they will die otherwise.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

In our current climate we are not growing our economy. Or even trying very hard to do so to tell the truth. If we want to turn that around a good start would be to elect some political leaders who haven't gone all-in on Keynesian economics and believe they can tax and spend our way into prosperity. I'm not talking about individual tax rates. Those are not that bad. I'm talking about the "cost of doing business" stuff that is driving employers overseas and nothing is taking their place.

I live in an area that is experiencing economic prosperity.  Companies are growing quickly, labor is not being outsourced, etc.  I'm making six figures.  But then we look at the housing market and it is clear there is something wrong.  I can't buy a house.  I'm not talking about a mansion, I mean any single family home.  They are building them quickly, but more than half of them are being gobbled up by investors instead of single families.  They are being bought for millions, making it nearly impossible for the middle class to afford.  Then they are rented out for too much money for your bottom 20% to be able to afford, and more than half of the income of your typical middle class family.  Which in turn solidifies their inability to be able to afford to buy a home. 

It's just not a simple situation.

• Like 1

It's not about giving money to the rich. It about letting people keep more of the money they earn. Because they spend it, invest it, donate it, etc. Economic activity breeds economic activity.

Surely you must realize that somebody who needs the money to pay for basic amenities like housing, bills, food and clothing is more likely to spend it than literally anybody else. Giving money to people living below the poverty line is 100% sure to breed economic activity because they will die otherwise.

Yes of course thats true but the idea of wealth creation in a Capitalist society is suppose to be where your Capital is used to generate revenue

So for example owning shares and then getting dividends or investing in a property deal....but the reality is most people really work to just pay bills and they simply dont have excess money 

So for me I was fortunate my great grandfather really created the initial wealth and then his sons continued to manage the investment portfolios ..but without the initial wealth generation in the 1920's I would also be asking " how do people actually become wealthy " ...

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Yes of course thats true but the idea of wealth creation in a Capitalist society is suppose to be where your Capital is used to generate revenue

I was under the impression that people paying for their food, bills and housing will inevitably generate revenue for someone.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I live in an area that is experiencing economic prosperity.  Companies are growing quickly, labor is not being outsourced, etc.  I'm making six figures.  But then we look at the housing market and it is clear there is something wrong.  I can't buy a house.  I'm not talking about a mansion, I mean any single family home.  They are building them quickly, but more than half of them are being gobbled up by investors instead of single families.  They are being bought for millions, making it nearly impossible for the middle class to afford.  Then they are rented out for too much money for your bottom 20% to be able to afford, and more than half of the income of your typical middle class family.  Which in turn solidifies their inability to be able to afford to buy a home. 

Millions? If Gilroy Ca is where you're looking (according to your location), a quick google search comes up with a lot of houses and not in the millions.

Way you keep economy growing is to make rich people spend money. Cut out tax heavens, force corporations to pay taxes where they earn revenue and prioritise lower taxes for these companies which invest into small business or welfare of own employes

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Where do you live with that kind of housing prices? San Fran/Bay area?

Also, I should ditch the private sector. A teacher making six figures annually? Oh yes.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I was under the impression that people paying for their food, bills and housing will inevitably generate revenue for someone.

I mean Capital as in resources or investment not actual money, the majority of wealthy people I know did it slowly and through investments but your daily expenses are going to people who may be more  wealthy than you but that doesn't mean they wealthy

So in other words owning the local supermarket doesnt always  mean the person is well off ....but if he owns the supermarket which would cover daily expenses but also some good shares or other investments is normally the best way to increase wealth 

John Milton 

Millions? If Gilroy Ca is where you're looking (according to your location), a quick google search comes up with a lot of houses and not in the millions.

You guys in Oz dont care much for wealth hey Hiro?

Its more about the barbie or beers at the local beach right...it must be nice to have such little to motivate you  :biggrin:

John Milton 

Way you keep economy growing is to make rich people spend money. Cut out tax heavens, force corporations to pay taxes where they earn revenue and prioritise lower taxes for these companies which invest into small business or welfare of own employes

“I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.”

― Winston S. Churchill 

Where do you live with that kind of housing prices? San Fran/Bay area?

Also, I should ditch the private sector. A teacher making six figures annually? Oh yes.

Property is super expensive in CA. Even combined with his wifes presumed 6-figure income, it could be tough.

SJW always used to be the kind of person for whom the Warrior was ironic. Seems to be different these days.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Its more about the barbie or beers at the local beach right...it must be nice to have such little to motivate you  :biggrin:

Huh? No idea what you're talking about. Time to lay off that marijuana Bruce.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

Huh? No idea what you're talking about.

Oh..sorry I have never  been to Oz,,,its just what I imagine ? Also think of how Crocodile Dundee lives in the wild ....with that hat ..and those corks  :geek:

John Milton 

Property is super expensive in CA. Even combined with his wifes presumed 6-figure income, it could be tough.

I remember San Fran being ridicolously expensive when i was there, like a smaller house was in the lower million. In LA it was much more cheaper, not cheap for a finn of course, but still affordable enough for some kind of middle class to exist.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Oh..sorry I have never  been to Oz,,,its just what I imagine ? Also think of how Crocodile Dundee lives in the wild ....with that hat ..and those corks  :geek:

Oh, trolling again. ok.

Hiro, we need to establish something please. You obviously think Im perfect and I dont make mistakes ..but even I make mistakes

So if I say "I imagine you guys in Oz dont worry about wealth "  ...if its wrong then its okay for you to tell me that 

Dont hold me to such a high standard  :geek:

John Milton 

Hiro, we need to establish something please. You obviously think Im perfect and I dont make mistakes ..but even I make mistakes

So if I say "I imagine you guys in Oz dont worry about wealth "  ...if its wrong then its okay for you to tell me that 

Bruce, how does your post even remotely make any sense to my response to Hurlshot? Hurlshot said, "I'm making six figures". That's him I assume. Not combined with his wife.

And then Hurlshot goes on to say, "They are being bought for millions, making it nearly impossible for the middle class to afford."

A quick google search in his area according to his location on his profile comes up with these:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/Gilroy_CA/pg-1

http://www.trulia.com/for_sale/Gilroy,CA/36.8534993825,37.2015930148,-122.032600647,-121.463371521_xy/11_zm/

Now I don't know what real estate websites Americans use, but these homes are not in the millions.

And then you come on and troll about Australians not caring about wealth. Again, how does this relate to earning 6 figures and not being able to buy a house?

Bruce, how does your post even remotely make any sense to my response to Hurlshot? Hurlshot said, "I'm making six figures". That's him I assume. Not combined with his wife.

And then Hurlshot goes on to say, "They are being bought for millions, making it nearly impossible for the middle class to afford."

A quick google search in his area according to his location on his profile comes up with these:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/Gilroy_CA/pg-1

http://www.trulia.com/for_sale/Gilroy,CA/36.8534993825,37.2015930148,-122.032600647,-121.463371521_xy/11_zm/

Now I don't know what real estate websites Americans use, but these homes are not in the millions.

And then you come on and troll about Australians not caring about wealth. Again, how does this relate to earning 6 figures and not being able to buy a house?

Now why would you assume that I wanted to ask Hurlshot something, he doesnt really respond to me on most posts which is how some forum members are to me 

So I normally dont bother to ask them too much....but what if I wanted to ask you a question and not Hurlshot

Is it so strange to make a direct post to you.....maybe people like to ask you questions?

John Milton 

“I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.”

― Winston S. Churchill 

You probably understand me incorrectly. I am not saying you need to have more/bigger taxes. But any functional state have to have taxes. Its about from who you are taking money and how well you spend them. In short, if big players would pay taxes as they should, they would not have to be that big/affecting that much low income payers

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

The US income tax is already set up on a sliding scale where the poorest pay the least. But I do agree that a lot of loopholes and exemptions should be closed.

US tax brackets.

Loopholes are what I am talking about here, I am even for flat % rate when it comes to it.

I work in Cupertino.  It is also important to keep in mind that the houses that are selling for under a million are the easiest for investors to gobble up, because they can go in with a cash offer.  

I used to live in Gilroy, but the commute was killing me.  

http://www.trulia.com/CA/Cupertino/

Honestly this isn't like some breaking news story.  The Bay Area is insane.

http://fortune.com/2016/03/07/san-francisco-housing-prices/